Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times

Advertisements

My problem with the transit initiative is not how it's financed. The projected increases in bus service offer almost nothing for people whose jobs are outside I-440. It's still focused on downtown Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Moving Wake Forward Campaign.

Endorse - Vote for Transit | Moving Wake County Forward

Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
My problem with the transit initiative is not how it's financed. The projected increases in bus service offer almost nothing for people whose jobs are outside I-440. It's still focused on downtown Raleigh.
I completely agree with you but that's something that they studied when they were discussing whether to go after higher ridership vs. wider transit coverage. Public input showed that 70% of people preferred the ridership route vs. 30% for the coverage route.

I think going after people who are more likely to take transit near downtown Raleigh is a good way to go about it initially with Raleigh's situation (and providing access to people who work at RTP). If you expanded bus service everywhere and few people took it, people would be coming out of the woodwork to say what a failure public transit is and it wouldn't be able to gain future support. If you expand bus service though where people are going to take it and it is at least moderately successful, you have a better chance to expand it in the future when that comes.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
But I do bet it makes zero sense financially.

What if we took that $1B and spent it on the WCPSS?
Amen! The schools need it desparately. I don't mind paying the extra if it's for the greater good but I would prefer to vote on one to benefit the schools.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:00 AM

286 posts, read 749,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Amen! The schools need it desparately. I don't mind paying the extra if it's for the greater good but I would prefer to vote on one to benefit the schools.

Schools, schools, schools.....where does all that NC Education Lottery money go?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:05 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
Schools, schools, schools.....where does all that NC Education Lottery money go?
Apparently only a quarter of the lottery proceeds go to schools. With all the people moving here each day and the need for so many new schools, that's not enough.

NC Education Lottery: Where is the Money? - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

From Wikipedia:
The remaining 35% goes to education proceeds, broken down as follows:
Before any proceeds are paid, 5% of the proceeds (1.75% of the total) goes to the Education Lottery Reserve Fund to be used when lottery proceeds fall short. This fund may not exceed $100 million.
Fifty percent of the remainder (16.625% of the total) goes towards the reduction of class sizes.
Forty percent of the remainder (13.3% of the total) is used for school construction.
Sixty-five percent of the above (8.645% of the total) is distributed based on school enrollment.
The remaining 35% (4.655% of the total) is distributed to counties with effective property tax rates above North Carolina's average based on school enrollment.
Ten percent of the remainder (3.325% of the total) are distributed for college scholarships, to be used with the federal Pell Grant.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
There will be a school bond on the ballot in 2018, so you have a chance to vote on that then but having one doesn't mean we can't have the other too!

For reference:

From this May: Wake County school board approves $1.98 billion building program | News & Observer

From this June: Wake County waits till 2018 for school bond vote | News & Observer

Old 10-20-2016, 12:52 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
There will be a school bond on the ballot in 2018, so you have a chance to vote on that then but having one doesn't mean we can't have the other too!

For reference:

From this May: Wake County school board approves $1.98 billion building program | News & Observer

From this June: Wake County waits till 2018 for school bond vote | News & Observer
No bonds. We need developers and companies to pay for infrastructure or just don't come here.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
I'm voting no. Increase teachers salary and invest into schools. It's so sad how poorly teachers are paid and the insane amount of work they do. Then start paying police, fire, and emt more money too. These people take these jobs because they want to make a difference and they are not compensated accordingly.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:06 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post

For reference:

X-ACTLY.

Money is so cheap right now to get quick construction financed, and Bonds hedge against inflation while passing some of the costs on to people who are not here yet.

There are two different issues:
Schools and Infrastructure. Denying one does not mean that the other will be adequately funded.
I will vote YES for schools, and YES for infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary