Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 10:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Serious question...

Why?

If she knows who she wants to vote for and her sister wishes to cast her vote as her surrogate, why is that a problem?

Now, I realize that we have some crazy voter crap set up here in NC now, but I guarantee you this has been done before in many places across the country.

It's illegal

Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Why should someone wait in a 2hr line for early voting when they know they still have other opportunities to vote and the line will be short or even nonexistent? I drove by my local early polling place on a Saturday morning, saw the line wrapped around and around and never went back. Voted absentee which was pain free.
I don't know. Maybe they won't be in town on Election Day...or they missed the deadline for absentee voting. Maybe they just don't have the opportunity to vote any other way.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
And it's not supposed to be done. It's illegal. You cast you own vote. You don't vote for someone else. You can HELP someone vote if they are disabled. I'm sorry, but I'm shocked that this is even a question. Time for me to shut down for the night.
I'm not really advocating for it. I have never cast anyone else's vote, nor has anyone ever cast mine.

I'm just surprised it would be so upsetting if someone gave permission to a close family member to be their proxy. Works with many other types of voting.

Exceeding the speed limit is illegal, but everyone has done it at some point.

I'm not advocating for changing laws. I just found the freaked out reactions to an off-the-cuff comment kinda funny.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

It's illegal
Chill out. You know I knew it was illegal, right? I didn't minor in political science NOT to know that.

I'm pretty sure you've broken the law before and I'm not actually advocating for it in the first place.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 AM

18,046 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I don't know. Maybe they won't be in town on Election Day...or they missed the deadline for absentee voting. Maybe they just don't have the opportunity to vote any other way.
Then it's S.O.L. because there were 2 weeks of early voting days, where one could go to any voting place and everyone knows when election day is. There are a multitude of ways to vote, in person and by just sitting on one's couch or laying in bed. That was your lament--that there were not better ways to vote. What would you suggest then? Even people in nursing homes can vote because there are people who assist them, people who come to them.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Chill out. You know I knew it was illegal, right? I didn't minor in political science NOT to know that.

I'm pretty sure you've broken the law before and I'm not actually advocating for it in the first place.

I change my reply to 3 head smacks,

if you know it's illegal and are still asking "why is that a problem?"

Old 11-07-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I change my reply to 3 head smacks,

if you know it's illegal and are still asking "why is that a problem?"
I wasn't literally advocating for it.

Did you read what I said? It was an ACADEMIC line of thought.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Here is something about vote swapping. I came across this topic this morning when reading an article about vote swapping web sites. Apparently vote swapping is perfectly legal.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Here is something about vote swapping. I came across this topic this morning when reading an article about vote swapping web sites. Apparently vote swapping is perfectly legal.
Interesting, but totally different
than going in as a proxy and pretending
to be the person you are voting for ...

The fact people are asking "what is so wrong with it"
is proof we need voter ID laws....

Old 11-07-2016, 10:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Then it's S.O.L. because there were 2 weeks of early voting days, where one could go to any voting place and everyone knows when election day is. There are a multitude of ways to vote, in person and by just sitting on one's couch or laying in bed. That was your lament--that there were not better ways to vote. What would you suggest then? Even people in nursing homes can vote because there are people who assist them, people who come to them.
No early voting in South Carolina and other states. Absentee voting is available in SC, but I saw yesterday that lines for ballots in Conway were hours long. Some people were leaving. Lines will be long tomorrow too. Some people won't be able...physically or otherwise to wait that long. SOL I guess...Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary