Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:12 PM

332 posts, read 397,420 times

Advertisements

I am saving this thread. From what I am reading I may have to take a written driving test and then go out and do a physical drive around with someone as well. Is this typical for an older out of state driver with a current license or will the person at the DMV most likely just give me a new license and send me on my way? I have to figure this stuff out since I was planning on selling our car and getting a new one the first few days we arrive. Would be a major issue if we are stuck paying for a rental car while jumping through hoops to get the license and registration just so we can buy a new car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:29 PM

4,299 posts, read 5,968,110 times
Very, very unlikely you'd have to take a road test.

You will have to do vision test, signs test, and "written" knowledge test.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Very, very unlikely you'd have to take a road test.

You will have to do vision test, signs test, and "written" knowledge test.
Thanks. The link you posted says even the written test may be waived if our licenses are in good standing. So you think the odds are we will still be asked to take it?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:08 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,812,491 times
Here's the link of the new registration (moving in from out-of-state):
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/moving/
which points to:
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/

If you're going to to into one of the DMV offices to take your tests, you should call ahead as I understand they take reservations. When I moved here I waited 45 minutes while 3 others walked in and went before me because they had.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

If you're going to to into one of the DMV offices to take your tests, you should call ahead as I understand they take reservations. When I moved here I waited 45 minutes while 3 others walked in and went before me because they had.
Wow, that would be really great. Thanks for posting about this!

Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 5,968,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Thanks. The link you posted says even the written test may be waived if our licenses are in good standing. So you think the odds are we will still be asked to take it?
Actually, you're right. They changed that a couple years ago to generally waive the written test as well for people moving in with a valid license.

Don't think I agree with that decision, but it is what it is. There should be a special written test just for movers to quiz them on things that might be different compared to other states.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:55 PM

714 posts, read 718,360 times
I went to this one too, last year when I moved here. I waited 2-1/2 hours. Bring something to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I changed my license and registration in Durham in the last couple weeks, and I found the two DMVs I went to to be downright pleasant compared to what I was used to in NYC and NJ. I didn't wait long at all on a weekday at around 10-11AM. Like SFspiderman said, you have to do the license change first. They give you a temporary NC license that's only good for driving, not for identification. After a week or so, you should get the real license in the mail, at which point you can update the registration on your car and get the NC plate.

Just make sure you come prepared with proper documents and it should all go smoothly. You should have North Carolina auto insurance already and you'll have to bring in proof of that as well. The DMV I went to for the drivers license was the one at 3825 S. Roxboro Street. I did registration at the Northgate Mall DMV.

The DMV takes credit cards!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:56 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,681,037 times
If you are transferring a title/plates. Get your wallet ready!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 AM

19,403 posts, read 27,718,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
If you are transferring a title/plates. Get your wallet ready!
Actually, this was one of the few expenses that DECREASED when we moved to Raleigh from Arizona!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:05 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,681,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, this was one of the few expenses that DECREASED when we moved to Raleigh from Arizona!
How much was it in Arizona? Did other expenses increase? I've always though that Arizona would be more expensive than the Southeast.

When I moved NC->MO, no tax was charged at the DMV. I only had to pay about $70 to get a new title, plates, and registration sticker. After living in MO for a year, you get billed for property tax. I found the rates to be similar to NC, maybe even slightly higher.

Then I moved to TX. Here, I had to pay around $250 which included plates, title, and a new resident fee of $200. No property tax on vehicles here, only the annual registration fee. I'd imagine that Texas is one of the cheapest states for registering a vehicle because of no property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary