Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,573,732 times

Advertisements

Chiming in here on soccer... check out CASL. They have all levels that your child may find enjoyable for year round options. Soccer is very competitive for school teams so even some top players won't make it. I know someone who couldn't make our HS team back then and went on to play at the college level. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:11 AM

332 posts, read 397,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Chiming in here on soccer... check out CASL. They have all levels that your child may find enjoyable for year round options. Soccer is very competitive for school teams so even some top players won't make it. I know someone who couldn't make our HS team back then and went on to play at the college level. Seriously.
Thanks. I personally am not too concerned about the school team. If there are select league options that will pretty much mirror what we have been used to. I noticed there are a few different leagues including a "Sports Illustrated" league?

I did see the CASL league as well and kind of assumed that was the go to league to check out. One thing I noticed which looks very appealing about CASL is if we don't go with the most advanced level of play all the games appear to be in Raleigh area, is that right? We have to do alot of driving on weekends for matches and it would be nice to stay local.

Appreciate the lowdown on soccer.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
If your question had been posed to the board like this:

If you had to pick one, what middle school would you say is the most like a pressure cooker?

The answer from the board would probably be Davis Drive, by a wide margin.

I have friends with kids at DD and my kids have friends there as well. It's a fairly high pressure school, as they are very prideful of those test scores. But really a lot of it has to do with the parent culture there, it's particularly helicopter-parenting centric. I have an aquiantance who is a child psychologist, and she actually told me point blank that she would not recommend DD or it's feeder high school Green Hope, because of the number of students she gets from those schools who are buckling under pressure there. Obviously, that could be the parents and not the schools - and it's a wealthy area so it could also be that these parents are simply the ones that can afford her fees. But I did think it was interesting coming from her.

If your son is average+ and pretty laid back, you might want to consider Apex Middle. Good scores, but a very relaxed atmosphere and a lot of the staff have been there a long time, which we really liked. Don't let the ancient building fool you, it's a great school. It feeds into Apex High and Apex Friendship, both of which are great schools. (Apex is getting a new HS in 2 years, so those feeder patterns may change)
Thank you. This thread overall is packed full of useful information, it's really amazing and extremely helpful to a family like ours who are clueless about the area still. We have not considered Apex at all. I am under the impression it is more suburban than even Cary, is that correct? I would like to convince myself I will be able to walk to some places in Cary or at least have a very short drive to good restaurants, coffee, etc. Also love what I have seen and read about the greenways in Cary.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,984,973 times
Don't get caught up in the "must be Cary schools" hype. Salem is just down the road, as is Apex and Lufkin. They are just as good.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,981,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Wow. I recall my daughter being allowed to correct answers on a quiz, but not an actual test.

Is this at Green Hope? That is interesting.
No - Enloe. And I think my daughter is confused because she said they can't do it on quizzes, only on tests, and only in certain classes. My guess is that she got it backwards.

And the more I thought about the whole re-testing thing in middle school, the more I liked it -- for the same reasons that PoppyDog mentioned previously. We tend to forget that the purpose of school is for kids to learn, not just to teach them.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Soccer (along with girls volleyball, football, boys and girls basketball and track) are school sports at the middle school level. These are funded by the school with paid coaches (teachers) and access to school transportation to get to and from games. Certain other sports (baseball, lacrosse, etc.) are club sports where the coaches are parents, activities are self-funded and parents need to provide transportation to and from games.
Thanks for the explanation. This is all very foreign to me. We always have to drive kids to games whether it's school or league doesn't matter. And it's a pain in the butt too.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
No - Enloe. And I think my daughter is confused because she said they can't do it on quizzes, only on tests, and only in certain classes. My guess is that she got it backwards.

And the more I thought about the whole re-testing thing in middle school, the more I liked it -- for the same reasons that PoppyDog mentioned previously. We tend to forget that the purpose of school is for kids to learn, not just to teach them.
Ahh.... yes... retakes on quizzes in HS makes a lot of sense. I do agree with this method of teaching. I don't see the sense in test retakes. I would not be opposed to letting kids earn extra credit to offset lower test scores, but retaking tests isn't going to happen in college. Quizzes? Yep. But, not tests.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,524,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Thank you. This thread overall is packed full of useful information, it's really amazing and extremely helpful to a family like ours who are clueless about the area still. We have not considered Apex at all. I am under the impression it is more suburban than even Cary, is that correct? I would like to convince myself I will be able to walk to some places in Cary or at least have a very short drive to good restaurants, coffee, etc. Also love what I have seen and read about the greenways in Cary.
If you are looking for a "walk to places and restaurants" type environment, it pushes you more to older neighborhoods which are closer to the city centers of both Cary and Apex. The general area around here is not terribly walkable, other than to your neighborhood grocery store.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:03 AM

342 posts, read 386,952 times
Heritage High School in Wake Forest allows test retakes as well. They have to have gone for extra help, have all assignments turned in and done test corrections. They lose 10 points off the bat because it's a retake, which I think is fair. It's a different test with similar questions. One thing that our math department does, which I think is fair is that if you get a higher grade on the unit test than a quiz (which means you mastered the material after the quiz - which is the goal) then the test grade replaces the quiz grade.

Heritage Middle mainly does test corrections where the kids can earn half credit back for each question and they have to write out detailed answers about why the new answer is correct. For Math 1, which is a high school course, they did retakes with different numbers in the same problems (or similar).

Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
I would say that Cary is much more suburban-oriented than Apex, due to size and more aggressive annexation that started earlier.
Cary is about 22 miles from NW to SE, and not altogether contiguous, even. Reference Peninisula at Amberly and Middle Creek. Quite the spread.

But, if chosen wisely, it may be arguable that many areas of Cary present more walkable options than many in Apex.
Really though, in either town, you have to choose very poorly to have a far drive at all from shops, services, retail, and restaurants.
We walk almost nowhere, but have 6 grocery stores within 2 miles from home. And, additional shops and services readily available in that radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary