Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM

60 posts, read 155,713 times

Advertisements

has anyone ever gotten a job from all the way across the country? i'm especially interested in working for one of the universities, probably in their communications/publications/marketing offices. has anyone had any luck getting companies to consider their resume from out of state? and you don't count if you're one of those computery, engineery, techie people who can apparently get jobs anywhere. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,805 times
My husband did. He's an HVAC guy and we job hunted from NJ. He ended up with a phone interview and they hired him over the phone, he started 2 weeks later (that was very surreal, I kept waiting for something to fall through...."did they really mean it?" type questions kept popping into my mind).

One thing was that we had sold our home, put our belongings in storage and took a fully furnished shore rental over the winter (cheap) so we had a limited amount of time to find a job. I just (I did the online search for dh) made it clear in cover letters that we WERE moving regardless and would prefer to have a job secured before doing so (and letting go of dh's good job there).

It took several months AND btw the Universities move about as slow as molasses. Dh had an interview months prior to getting this job and they loved him but red tape and all....we just couldn't wait for a response. Months later, after dh was at his new job already, he got a call from the University guy again to come back. But it was too late.

Lauren

Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM

38 posts, read 145,507 times
Default long distance job hunting

Like the previous reply, my husband got hired after having one phone interview. We recently relocated to Raleigh from Sacramento, CA. It can be done, even though it took a year. Find a good recruiter who knows the industry and has good contacts within your industry of choice. Also, please do a search on the issue - if I'm not mistaken I've seen other similar posts in the past.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphykatt View Post
Find a good recruiter who knows the industry and has good contacts within your industry of choice.
Therein lies the challenge......finding a good recruiter. I've been looking for a new job for months and find the employment agenices to be horrendous. Haven't had to work with one in about 10 years and they seem very disinterested in doing much to place someone in a job they'd really want to stay at.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,962 times
where would you find recruiters? My husband is in the financial industry and working onMBA. Moving in June! Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
i got hired ...move to MD last year

Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,434 times
I couldn't get any of the universities to take a look at me when I was living in IL.

HOWEVER, once I moved here and had a NC address on my resume, I ended up with interviews at both Duke and UNC. I ended up at Duke.

I'll admit, when we consider new hires here--at least in my small little group--we don't really spend much time on out-of-state applicants. Too much hassle. The only out-of-state resumes we've considered were ones that we found exceptional in some regard.

Know anyone locally whose address you could use in the meantime? I've actually heard of folks securing PO boxes here just so that they could have a local address on their resumes. I do feel that out-of-state applicants are often overlooked.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM

60 posts, read 155,713 times
i know, but that would bite me in the butt if, assuming i'm local, they call for an interview for next thursday or whatever and i'll the way across the country. that makes me hesitant to "pose" as a local.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:39 PM

38 posts, read 145,507 times
Smile long distance job hunting

Luv2teach, try coming up with different words and word combinations using GOOGLE. To illustrate, Raleigh+recruiters or do a search on some of the nationwide recruiting firms such as MRINetwork or Ajilon to name a few. I'm sure there are recruiters that specialize in the financial services industry. Again, maybe googling financial services+raleigh+recruiters+headhunters may help! Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary