Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post
Some people can be so discouraging. Although I have no input for you as I'm trying to relocate as well, I do hope everything works out for you. Good luck!
We try not to be down on the area, but QOL and affordability are sinking.

Just want to be sure folks consider a few cities without just following the media here and falling into the sea like lemmings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Just want to be sure folks consider a few cities without just following the media here and falling into the sea like lemmings.
Well, to be fair, the OP is in IT and this area is one of the biggest areas in the country for IT and a COL that's not crazy high.

So, I think the OP is doing due diligence to investigate a move here.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM

72 posts, read 76,236 times
I understand, but here in NYC a two bedroom micro apartment will run you 2k. Forget about owning homes, in the worst neighborhoods they cost at least 700k and that's with enough land to to place two lawn chairs plus a70k deposit.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post
I understand, but here in NYC a two bedroom micro apartment will run you 2k. Forget about owning homes, in the worst neighborhoods they cost at least 700k and that's with enough land to to place two lawn chairs plus a70k deposit.
Which would be relevant if this were an NYC thread, or the OP were from NYC, but neither is the case.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
So if I could make 40k my first year out in NC I would be totally happy with that as long as I am doing what I enjoy.
$40K should be attainable in IT, even at the state. You might look into the NC state postings which is a good place to get your foot in the door, and then you can move to any other state job/agency and retain your years of service, etc. IT seems in general to be an area of state govt that is less likely to be cut or frozen when other state jobs are being slashed.

NOTE--they are VERY slow in the hiring/interviewing process.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:57 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
$40K should be attainable in IT, even at the state. You might look into the NC state postings which is a good place to get your foot in the door, and then you can move to any other state job/agency and retain your years of service, etc. IT seems in general to be an area of state govt that is less likely to be cut or frozen when other state jobs are being slashed.

NOTE--they are VERY slow in the hiring/interviewing process.

I would not recommend working for the State of NC in IT. There are limited opportunities for advancement with mediocre pay raises (if any). Hopefully working for the state will improve, but there are much better opportunities in the private sector.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:38 PM

20 posts, read 22,342 times
OP - just sent you a direct message. I am in the IT industry and just moved here 8 months ago. As RedZin said, this is one of the top destinations for IT pros and it is growing like crazy. It really depends on what you are looking for - both from a career and the location. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:13 PM

224 posts, read 297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Yes but compared to Austin $700 dollars a month is nothing compared to $1000-1100 is what I am paying now. So I would say the triangle is still a good bang for your buck. Plus I can't see it being it highly competitive there as it is here. (by that I mean I don't think you would be fighting 200 applicants or more for an IT job like you do here)

Btw sorry for the late reply. I've been sick for about a week.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
Yes but compared to Austin $700 dollars a month is nothing compared to $1000-1100 is what I am paying now. So I would say the triangle is still a good bang for your buck. Plus I can't see it being it highly competitive there as it is here. (by that I mean I don't think you would be fighting 200 applicants or more for an IT job like you do here)

Btw sorry for the late reply. I've been sick for about a week.
Yes. You will be fighting hundreds of applicants.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:15 AM

224 posts, read 297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yes. You will be fighting hundreds of applicants.
Is the economy really that bad there too? I mean my goodness. Austin is the first place where I've had hundreds of applicants fighting for a job. Which in my eyes in a measure of a poor economy. I mean in Ohio where I am from I was lucky to fight 50 applicants for the same position and that was while I was still in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary