Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

My turn to make the turkey this year. In prior years, in Phoenixb it was simple to get a fresh turkey from Sprouts at a fair price. But here in the triangle, I'm stumped. I don't care if it's local, grass fed, organic, or whatever. I just want one that has never been frozen and isn't overpriced (which leaves out Whole Foods, TJ's and the farmers market).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 03:03 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
The grocery stores typically have fresh turkeys. Found this snip from last year from Lowes Foods:

Butterball fresh turkey, 10 – 24 lb average weight, $1.49/lb with min. $35 purchase, limit 1

Fresh Whole Turkey | Butterball®

Lots of turkeys raised in eastern NC (Butterball, NC) ,,, no idea if the floods have impacted supply.

Frank

Old 10-31-2016, 03:11 PM

65 posts, read 55,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My turn to make the turkey this year. In prior years, in Phoenixb it was simple to get a fresh turkey from Sprouts at a fair price. But here in the triangle, I'm stumped. I don't care if it's local, grass fed, organic, or whatever. I just want one that has never been frozen and isn't overpriced (which leaves out Whole Foods, TJ's and the farmers market).

Any ideas?
Maybe check The Butcher's Market. There are locations in Raleigh and Cary. You'll probably be in line in price with the places you mentioned are out though... Fresh turkeys are expensive because they must be handled very carefully to avoid spoilage. Frozen turkeys are cheaper for this reason.

Also if you're looking now, won't fresh turkey's only show up at the grocery just before Thanksgiving since they'll spoil so quickly?

Old 10-31-2016, 04:51 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I've seen fresh turkeys at Harris Teeter, no idea if they are pricey or not.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerwolf View Post
Maybe check The Butcher's Market. There are locations in Raleigh and Cary. You'll probably be in line in price with the places you mentioned are out though... Fresh turkeys are expensive because they must be handled very carefully to avoid spoilage. Frozen turkeys are cheaper for this reason.

Also if you're looking now, won't fresh turkey's only show up at the grocery just before Thanksgiving since they'll spoil so quickly?
I love the Butcher's Market but JK you are going to find them overpriced. Call Fresh Market, see what they charge. last year I got my turkey breast there because it was more reasonably priced than Butcher's Market.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
I've gotten them from Food Lion and Kroger. And of course we have some fresh ones running behind my house in the woods...but you'd have hunt one for yourself

Old 11-01-2016, 06:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
We always do butcher's market or Fresh Market but I don't mind splurging a bit once a year. You may want to see if the State Farmer's market has anyone carrying them that is a better price. Thanks for reminding me to order ours!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:21 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Looks like some folks missed the "never frozen" part. That will likely eliminate HT, Publix, Lowes, Kroger, Food Lion, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:34 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Looks like some folks missed the "never frozen" part. That will likely eliminate HT, Publix, Lowes, Kroger, Food Lion, etc.
They sell both fresh and frozen this time of year. Last year I got mine at Costco and was pleased.

One word of caution to ANYONE buying a fresh turkey: Be sure to have some form of containment in your car. A big cooler, a huge bag, a tray, or something. Fresh turkey's have a lot of juice. I had one leak in the trunk of my car once, not an easy thing to clean up.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:14 AM

108 posts, read 203,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They sell both fresh and frozen this time of year. Last year I got mine at Costco and was pleased.

One word of caution to ANYONE buying a fresh turkey: Be sure to have some form of containment in your car. A big cooler, a huge bag, a tray, or something. Fresh turkey's have a lot of juice. I had one leak in the trunk of my car once, not an easy thing to clean up.
I also only buy fresh turkeys. A couple years ago I got one from the Butcher's Market -- it was great but pricey. The last couple of years I've called Harris Teeter a few weeks before Thanksgiving and they will order a fresh turnkey which will come to the store a few days before Thanksgiving. The cost was reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary