Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:36 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
It was sure frustrating to keep getting up, walking to the phone, dialing the number, hearing a busy signal, dialing again, still busy, then walking back to where you were and trying again 5 minutes later. People used to sit and talk for hours....local calls only. Long distance calls cost a fortune!

I can remember times where I'd call a friend, get a busy signal, and then just walk to their house. No one does that any more!
No kidding. I text my kids to come to dinner when they are upstairs, in three basement, outside or just plain ignoring me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
No kidding. I text my kids to come to dinner when they are upstairs, in three basement, outside or just plain ignoring me.
generation gap .... maybe 2

Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
It was sure frustrating to keep getting up, walking to the phone, dialing the number, hearing a busy signal, dialing again, still busy, then walking back to where you were and trying again 5 minutes later. People used to sit and talk for hours....local calls only. Long distance calls cost a fortune!
Remember when Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill were all long-distance to each other? I benefitted from that when I was in college (UNC), because my parents were cheapskates and even calling long-distance from Raleigh kept them from checking up on me very much I can't imagine being a college kid and having their parents call and text all the time, day and night!

Also, I had a friend who lived in Chapel Hill but had a Durham phone number (our near the old BCBS building)--it was literally long-distance for her to call a store she could see out her window, because it was a Chapel Hill number.

And of course, those were the days you didn't need to dial the area code, even for long-distance, if it was the same area code--just 1-XXX-XXXX.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
I remember 300 baud modems being standard, and anyone who could afford 1200 baud was a hotshot.

I don't quite go back to the days of punched cards but I do remember submitting files I worked on "to tape backup" in the basement, when I was in high school. All of our computer stations were classic green screen 3270 terminals.

The first place I lived independently, was a room rental in a house on Whitaker Mill road near five points. $150 a month and it included utilities.

Growing up in my parents house, yeah we had a rotary dial phone on the wall. I can't remember the last time I encountered a rotary phone... And to think - you had to pay the phone company extra for "touch tone service" back then.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 11-01-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 05:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
My mom called us to dinner by ringing a big cast bell on a post in back yard. You could hear it miles from home if the wind was blowing just right. We didn't waste any time either getting there

Old 11-01-2016, 05:51 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
I grew up in Chapel Hill and only had to dial (yes, dial) the last 6 digits of the phone number. This was up to the early/mid-1980's and before 911 service in town. Had a sticker on the black desk phone in the kitchen with the phone numbers for emergencies.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
My mom called us to dinner by ringing a big cast bell on a post in back yard. You could hear it miles from home if the wind was blowing just right. We didn't waste any time either getting there
OMG , that reminds me of my mom calling out (howling) "Bobby; Billy; Pitroad" (well not actually my name) .... all the kids were outside at dinner time and you waited to hear your call

Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
you didn't need to dial the area code, even for long-distance, if it was the same area code--just 1-XXX-XXXX.
One reason why that's disappeared: the expansion of toll-free landline calling area. Last I heard, metro Atlanta had the largest toll-free calling area in the U.S. It runs for over 75 miles, north-to-south. I think technically there are still a few exchanges in 919 that are toll calls from a Raleigh landline, but it doesn't make sense to maintain the 1-xxx-xxxx dialing pattern just for those.

Of course, the migration to wireless and VOIP is another reason.

What would have made more sense, I think, than the proliferation of area codes was maintaining the traditional definition of area codes as 201-219, 301-319, etc and biting the bullet to convert to 8-digit local numbers. People in London, Tokyo, Beijing, Paris, etc don't seem to have any problem with 8-digit local numbers.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post

Growing up in my parents house, yeah we had a rotary dial phone on the wall. I can't remember the last time I encountered a rotary phone... And to think - you had to pay the phone company extra for "touch tone service" back then.
I loved my Princess phone. In 1960 it was THE phone to have.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Peter Graves used to be in the phone company ads on tv, and who remembers this? Might be on YouTube:

Operator give me 9 1 9,

I need a Carolina voice on the end of the line,

I said RedHope, Greenville, Springhope, Rolesville,

You can have it all in Eastern Caroline,

Operator give me 9 1 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary