Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:04 AM

11 posts, read 9,427 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Our's a relatively new construction with around a little over 30 houses.

And our HOA fee so far was $45 and now got a notice indicating that the fee would be raised to $78 a close to 60% hike.

Is this so normal? How can we reject this? I am afraid the needed votes to block this (2/3 votes needed to block may not be achieved as some have self interests as part of this planned hike).

looking at the figures the landscaping and ground maintenance is more than 10K itself and appears to be a steep cost.

what HOA management do you have and what are the costs associated with them in maintaining?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:05 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Your current HOA fee is only $45??? That is really cheap - $78 sounds a little more reasonable assuming your HOA is doing a good job.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:12 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Are they SFHs or THs? When I lived in a TH, my HOA dues were $135/mo. Our landscaping expenses were much higher than yours, but we had more homes requiring attention, so I don't know what the 'per home' breakdown would be. It may be a matter of the board looking at the total in reserves and determining that there isn't enough for maintenance that will be coming down the road (if THs, this could be painting, roofs, gutters, etc.)

I would ask why the increase in grounds maintenance and whether or not they've received bids from other companies. And why the increase in "miscellaneous" expenses? If it's a relatively new neighborhood, it may be a case of realizing that their early budgets weren't really in line with the reality of expenses, and adjustments were needed. I wouldn't automatically reject the increase, but I would attend the meeting and request an explanation (which the board may already be planning to provide).

Old 11-04-2016, 08:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
$78 per what? Month? Quarter? Year? How long has the subdivision been around? What amenities do you have?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:49 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
$78 per what? Month? Quarter? Year? How long has the subdivision been around? What amenities do you have?
According to the image, it's per month. Pretty high if they're SFHs, but very low if they're THs. Gonna need more information from the OP. I assume there's nothing like a pool or tennis courts since the maintenance of such amenities isn't indicated in the budget.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Grounds maintenance for a place with 30 houses for 667 bucks a month is really not that expensive. I figure it was less last year because there was less to maintain. Look at the pine straw/mulch budget that did not exist last year. They had the builder doing that, so it wasn't needed. Now, it is needed to maintain the area.

Nothing on there is a shocker.

Also, it looks like the HOA now as to manage the BMP(s). How many of those do you have and do they require something additional now this year?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 AM

11 posts, read 9,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
$78 per month, for single family home. No amenities, no swimming pool, no club house, just plain neighborhood with two streets and two storm water bmp ponds. 35 homes in total
subdivision has been here for 1 year. still 4 homes are yet to be sold by builder.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
That seems high for having basically no amenities, but 30 houses is a pretty small development. In Oxxford Hunt our fees have been $41/month for quite some time but the costs are spread out over hundreds of homes.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryhoa View Post
$78 per month, for single family home. No amenities, no swimming pool, no club house, just plain neighborhood with two streets and two storm water bmp ponds. 35 homes in total
How many homes were complete last year when the dues were lower?

Also, did you have 2 BMPs then, or just one?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
That seems high for having basically no amenities, but 30 houses is a pretty small development. In Oxxford Hunt our fees have been $41/month for quite some time but the costs are spread out over hundreds of homes.
I live in a place with 41 homes and ours is... I think.. around 860 a year. It does cost more when you have less homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: