Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNCGirl View Post
The harsh, ranting tone of the original post points to someone looking ONLY for reasons NOT to like this area. For the life of me I can't understand the need some folks have for needing to "prove" how intuitive and discerning they are, and how utterly ridiculous those who have chosen to live here must be.
*rolls eyes*

It's just a message board.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,624 times
NOt every place is for everybody. If its not for you, its better for you, and the locals, for you NOT to move there.

I have been to probably 30 of our 50 states. I liked most of them. Not enough to live there, but they all have their own feel and personality.

From Alaska and California to Arizona and New York and Florida and Texas- they are all great places, just places I don't want to live. That's okay. No one is making me move there. But I don't visit those city sites and bash their area.

The problems OP mentioned do exist- sure...I've watched this area change from a sleepy southern town to a fairly major city. Do I like all of those changes...well...not so much, no. But change in life is inevitable. And growth happens, especially when you live in one of the greatest climates in the US.

I don't think the OP meant offense (although sometimes its hard to tell). We know what our problems are. We live them every single day. We don't need an outsider to point out what we already know.

Good luck to you in your new home and community.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 AM

93 posts, read 292,068 times
Cool Mike

Quote:
This was my third time down from NY(LI) in the past 4 years checking out the "best place to live". I visited at least 20+ developments ranging in price from 350,000-750,000+ . This time I was so disappointed I don't even no where to begin. Building is out of control what a difference from just a few years ago. Prices are so inflated its to the point is comical. They expect you to buy 550,000 to 700,000 homes with no land, trailers with burnt out sheds across the street or behind your home. They are building developments on top of developments with your plot getting smaller and smaller. Not a good sight.
After reading your post, it is clear that you are frustrated with the process of buying homes. It is no longer an easy process that you go to the builder and sign a page contract and it is done deal. The housing market has not been affected that much but the iggest problem is that there is lot of inventory that is still out there due to over estimation of the builders and developers. I moved here in 2004 nd it was hard to get anything from the builders but today they will offer you the world.

Thprice rnage that you are looking is on the higher side and very few fortunate folks go into these community as you maintioned toll brother, they make good homes but than again who are they using to built th house for you. They have subcontractors and they all build homes differently. It is important that you as your onsite agent who will doing your contruction on their behalf. I have seen some million dollor homes and they don't look like million dollors and some that are 1/4 of the cost look lot better.

It is also importnat to see where you are buying a house because the location is the key. A house with same design and specs could be so much different in price depanding on theire location.My advie to you is don't get sucked into the incentives but get a hous that is truely makes you happy.

The most important part is that you get yourself an agent and they could help you fnd your dream home. The best agent looks out for there buyer or seller and communicate well. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:19 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Hmmmm reading the OP, I honestly thought, this doesn't sound like someone just visiting. This sounds like a regular on the boards, someone who's lived here awhile. So I was really shocked to see the backlash. Every single point has been discussed at length on this board. And while the OP didn't include any positives to dull the pain, I don't think he was completely wrong in his analysis. The homes here, no matter what the price range (unless you are building yourself from the ground up with your big bank account) are crap. We've spent 10 years gradually replacing the original garbage our house was built with. Ok, I've accepted that. But I was like to hear from friends who bought MUCH more expensive houses that they had to do the same thing! I DO think the builders here are putting paint over pressboard, throwing in a stainless fridge and maybe a marble counter top and asking half a mill. And yeah, it's gonna be 1/4 mile from the Rite Aid and Walgreens across the street from each other and oh yeah, it'll be on a tiny piece of land. That there are great, friendly people living this life here doesn't negate there is a problem....but that's not a new thought! Read these boards and it's been said over and over by the people that live here! So I'm not sure why Mike got slapped like he said we eat puppies here.
Good Post, Seriously I figured all this out in a 10 day visit. I'm glad I came and saw and not relied on a message board(or money magazine best places to live) to decide my move like some. I've done well really well on my investments over the years(stocks,houses, business ventures,etc). Due diligence is key to any risk/reward scenario. I traveled with my wife and three young children, which made it more difficult but still manged to get everything I needed accomplished. Kids didn't have as much fun as they expected but in hindsight it was the best thing to do. A move from LI to NC is a huge move to say the least and while I'm no longer making to move there, the experience was worth its weight in gold. When I move and invest in a community I also want the community to make an investment in me I didn't feel that there. Maybe I do need a more stable established place. I don't need a place the will be going through "growing pains" with 3 young children it's not fair for them. Although I am young(38) and retired I'm not chasing a job so the job market won't decide my move like some. My posts are from my heart as well as my gut so if I insulted anyone I truly apologize

Big Mike

Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
***update*** Today I received two phone calls and 1 E-mail from sale agents from the various communities I visited. The sale of a lifetime just got even better. One who I made a very low offer just to see her reaction, turned my down 1 second flat called today and said the builder was willing to work with me. I had a feeling that this was going to happen but not this fast. BTW the house was listing at 565,000 and offered 485,000. Even though I'm no longer interested this might help out others looking to move. If you are paying top dollar at the asking price you should be getting your head examined

I guess the same could be said for LI prices. They are dropping as well. Anyone who paid top dollar on LI a few years ago also would need their head examined. If you have a home to sell on LI you also shouldn't expect top dollar in this market. BTW, If you hated the area why would you even make a offer?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I guess the same could be said for LI prices. They are dropping as well. Anyone who paid top dollar on LI a few years ago also would need their head examined. If you have a home to sell on LI you also shouldn't expect top dollar in this market. BTW, If you hated the area why would you even make a offer?
You are correct! I brought my first house In Rockville Centre for 165,000 back in 1993 and was fortune it buy a second home with the equity in Baldwin in 1996 for 142,000 for rental/investment. I sold the Baldwin home last summer for 439,000. I still live in my original RVC home but is currently on the market for 499,000 so I should do ok I never said I hated the area just expressed my opinions on the area. I throw out that offer to get a feel of what I was felling like a starting point. The only thing in life that I brought and I couldn't negotiate was my first thoroughbred race horse.

Last edited by BigMike50; 02-27-2008 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Wow. That's some profit in RVC.

We once lived on Jefferson Ave when my father in law was super of the bldg.

RVC is a great town, but used to be somewhat affordable. Hope raleigh doesn't go that way.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Whether you agree with Mike or not, I still think it was very smart for him to visit the area first before deciding to move here. This country is full of many wonderful communities, but none of them are perfect for everyone. There are a lot fo people who simply love living in the Triangle (I am one of them), but I don't find it threatening if some people chose to live elsewhere. As Tim Gunn would say, "It's a matter of taste."

Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,560 times
If the OP is correct, home prices in Raleigh are falling.. partly blamed by national builders making "deals of a lifetime" in an attempt to get rid of inventory. I think I would *freak out* if I paid x last year and this year the builder is now offering to sell the house at a substantially lower price...

This gives new meaning to the words, "buyers market."

Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
If the OP is correct, home prices in Raleigh are falling.. partly blamed by national builders making "deals of a lifetime" in an attempt to get rid of inventory. I think I would *freak out* if I paid x last year and this year the builder is now offering to sell the house at a substantially lower price...

This gives new meaning to the words, "buyers market."
I agree that it would be horrible to buy a house for $$$ and then see the builder sell that same house for $$ a year later. However, that is a loss on paper only unless you were going to sell your house in a year, which doesn't make good financial sense anyway.

Some people don't PLAN to sell that quickly but life does throw us some changes!

So lets say that builder drops the price and gets that house sold. Hopefully, in another year or so, the prices will have gone up, as usual around here, and everyone can stop worrying! After all, its still your home.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary