Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times

Advertisements

[quote=uncletupelo;6369549 I think that Hickory Hills was finished before 1970. Plenty of homes in North Hills proper were built in 1964 or before. [/quote]

That's right...Hickory Hills was the first. Most of those homes had their own well and septic tank when new....I believe, or at least was told that by an older HH's resident some time back.

My house was one of the first in North Hills Estates....1960
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,740,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, that area was developed in the early 1970s...how quickly we forget the Bicentennial in 1976 and the whole "neo-Colonial" decor that preceded it! You're lucky there's no red/white/blue left!

(/Recalls childhood bedroom decorated in red & blue with bedspread and curtains that had eagles and minutemen on them...)
LOL!!! Do you remember the Bicentennial syrup bottles that Log Cabin put out? My Granny had every last one of those... eagles, liberty bell, she had them all. My Aunt had all the Avon Bicentennial cologne bottles as well. I remember a few Eagles in there too.

My parents had a big metal Eagle on the front door... it's immortalized in so many family photos. Ah, the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Nor do I like the new "eagle" that seems to be everywhere these days....and, what is the new "eagle"? It's those giant Texas stars that seem to be in every "Rooms to Go" living room and bedroom.
I am such a snob.
Yeah, those giant Stars are pretty passe. The very first home my husband and I sold, the new owners plastered one of those huge, hideous things on the chimney... literally the first day they moved in. I almost died when I drove by. I had a hard time parting with that house and the star was very unsettling. All our neighbors thought the new owners were in a cult or something and were ticked at us for selling our house to cult members. LOL! Turned out they were a really nice couple and everyone loves them. But those Stars remind me of the Dr. Suess' Star Belly Sneetches story. I love the Sneetch story but don't care for the stars.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
Francois- Most of North Hills, Lakemont, Chesnut Hills, North Glen and Quail Hollow were built out by 1969. I think that Hickory Hills was finished before 1970.
Many of them were, but Hickory Hills only just got started in 1970; in 1969, Quail Hollow Drive stopped at Pebblebrook and then was just a dirt road through woods. I played in almost every house in HH as it was being built, collecting the workmen's Coke bottles for the 2 c deposit, well into 1974 or so. I lived in Quail Hollow and some of them, as well, were still being built in '71, '72. At the time, Eastgate Park was just a pond in the woods people called "Old man's lake" and didn't have the dam there. I think the dam and the park itself came along around 1975.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,895,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
That's right...Hickory Hills was the first. Most of those homes had their own well and septic tank when new....I believe, or at least was told that by an older HH's resident some time back.

My house was one of the first in North Hills Estates....1960
Correction...Chestnut Hills is the oldest. Sorry. They say the mind is the first to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary