Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:24 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of good advise shown above. The moral of this story is that it's obvious a Buyer's Agent fee is pretty much necessary and worthwhile.

A Seller's Agent fee could be negotiated, depending on how much knowledge you have, risk you're willing to take, and most of all, how much additional work you're willing to do.

One of the most important skills a SA brings, is being able to provide a good Listing Price. As price drops can actually hurt a property, that first number is exceptionally important.

But, all things are negotiable. Example. A (now-ex) girl friend of mine had two houses, sold her first conventionally, and a couple of years later wanted to sell the second.

She decided to pay the SA fee, and then she negotiated with a large and respected SA for them to provide, for a flat fee:
Listing Price estimate based on their current experiences,
adding the property to the the local listing service,
a Yard sign, with phone number, (but the phone service was strictly forwarding numbers ONLY).

Added to that, I built up for her a website with photos of each room, outside, yard survey, local conditions, utility connections, etc. and made up flyers for the yard sign's box.

She knew she would have to do the work of pre-cleaning, showing, replying to all calls (crank, low-ball, etc). She also had the closing paperwork reviewed by a real estate attorney.

Bottom line (pun intended): I think she saved several thousands of dollars, but invested quite a bit of man-hours of work, some of which was possible only due to her previous experiences.

Like most things important, YMMV.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:25 AM

190 posts, read 200,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just select an agent who offers you professional service at an agreeable fee.

In this market and that location, (unless you are sub-$150,000 or so in property value) there is no actual reason to pay more than 4.8% total, 2.4% to each agent, buyers agent and listing agent, unless you are willingly subsidizing your favorite niece's first year in the business.
If you use the same agent to buy your next home, you can probably do better.
Note, though, that 90% of listings in Wake County (at last count) offer 2.4% or more to a buyer's agent. Your listing agent (and you, if you FSBO) probably need to offer that 2.4% to a buyers agent to get the best exposure.

BTW:
There is actually no such thing as a "discount broker."
It is unethical for a real estate agent to use the term, as it connotes the agent may support market rigging via price fixing, monopoly, boycott, and a host of other illegal behaviors. If an agent comes to you and disparages "discount brokers, discount firms," etc, they are more than a decade behind on ethical standards and professional education.
Interesting, I though a buyer agent should always put her or his customer interest first. If the home, is the best for the customers, even at a 0% commission, the agent should propose the house to her or his customer .

I might have miss something somewhere.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:48 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,747 times
I would never sell a home without a Realtor representing me. That said, our last experience selling a home we went against our realtors advice and listed our home for more than she suggested (by $15,000) and our home was under contract 3 days later for $11,000 over our list price. Sometimes I think realtors are conservative on pricing just hoping for a quick sale versus having to drop the price and have it sit anytime on the market. The lesson is to do your own homework and do not blindly follow your realtor, but use a realtor!

Old 11-09-2016, 07:08 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
Interesting, I though a buyer agent should always put her or his customer interest first. If the home, is the best for the customers, even at a 0% commission, the agent should propose the house to her or his customer .

I might have miss something somewhere.
"Nuance" and "details" are fascinating topics.
Of course an agent is supposed to do so.
Unfortunately, there certainly are unethical agents out there. The use of "Discount agent" or "Standard Commission" are two clear tells on their ethics.

And, when the agent does propose the house, and the buyer says, "I am not interested in that property, because I don't want to pay you out of pocket to meet the terms of the buyers agency agreement. So let's skip it," that is not an agent's failure to perform as agreed and required.
And, it certainly happens.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:47 PM

69 posts, read 62,575 times
thanks everyone. Yes it has been a while since our purchase of the house. 20 years to be exact so I am learning a lot reading all the comments. Of course I would want the most we can get for our home but also would be good have a solid listing, offers. I will look into firms mentioned.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:15 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No agent can prove that they always produce the best net to their sellers.
They can only accurately offer anecdotal examples.
Technically they could.

I sell homes on average of xx.x% of the initial list price. You could drill down to city, zip code, neighborhood.

The average cost to my sellers for repairs are $xxxx

Granted very few agents will track this information.

In a real world it would be up to the listing agent to explain how they are going to net the most to the seller clients. This is accomplished with a net sheet showing the costs to sell the home. Then it's up to the agent and seller to discuss other costs to the seller. Repairs, concessions, etc... Do agents have a crystal ball? No, but if they do any sort of business there are numbers they can provide to give a good idea. Numbers don't lie.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Technically they could.

I sell homes on average of xx.x% of the initial list price. You could drill down to city, zip code, neighborhood.

In a real world it would be up to the listing agent to explain how they are going to net the most to the seller clients. This is accomplished with a net sheet showing the costs to sell the home. Then it's up to the agent and seller to discuss other costs to the seller. Repairs, concessions, etc... Do agents have a crystal ball? No, but if they do any sort of business there are numbers they can provide to give a good idea. Numbers don't lie.
List price is merely a placeholder, with no materiality.
% of list price, ergo, is equally meaningless.
Agents are taught to nurture and promote meaningless stats to create a false sense of their capabilities.
I don't track List Price/Sales Price ratios because it is nearly completely irrelevant to skill.

How do repairs even weigh on it? Every property is unique.

Anecdotes based in truth are more valuable than bogus stats based in falsehood.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-09-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 07:13 PM

514 posts, read 602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Technically they could.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Old 11-09-2016, 08:47 PM

190 posts, read 200,094 times
Statistics are not lie: correct

However, statistic does not tell you which model you should use and two different models can give two opposite outcomes with both model statistically correct. The choice between the two models is a personal choice.

Knowing that there are multiple type of models, I would say almost an infinite number of models, people erroneously but genuinely interpret statistic as lie.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
Statistics are not lie: correct

However, statistic does not tell you which model you should use and two different models can give two opposite outcomes with both model statistically correct. The choice between the two models is a personal choice.

Knowing that there are multiple type of models, I would say almost an infinite number of models, people erroneously but genuinely interpret statistic as lie.
And, a gun is not a murder weapon until it is in the hands of a murderer.

Yes, stats are just stats, and cannot be a lie. When stats are purposely misapplied and presented to mislead, the user is the liar.
There are so many fine people in real estate, but the use of stats is incredibly weird.
You would have to see how agents are actively taught to abuse statistics or to use bogus stats to really grasp how widely corrupted the use and dissemination of irrelevant stats is.

How to manipulate DOM.
How to present sales price percentages in the most flattering light.
And, generic BS like, "Agents sell houses for 17% more than FSBOs."

I like anecdotal stuff with application to specific and similar cases more than broad stats or misleading statistical abuse.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-10-2016 at 04:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: