Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:37 AM

204 posts, read 289,011 times

Advertisements

Before I start explaining this issue, PLEASE NOTE this is not aimed towards the personnel themselves but to the SYSTEM they're using.

So I ordered a part online and is being delivered through USPS registered mail which I set it up to receive text message (TM)for updates. So I received a TM yesterday stating the package is in Raleigh being Process but then in the afternoon I received another TM stating the package has arrive in Greensboro

I can't understand why the package was sent to Greensboro after it arrive in Raleigh especially since I live in Raleigh. It's still in Greensboro being "process" so who knows when it'll actually be here and since it's a registered package; that means I need to sign for it so there goes another lost day since I'll need to stop by the postal office to sign for it.

So basically USPS is sending the package to Greensboro even though it arrive into Raleigh prior and I live in Raleigh, talk about wasting $$$

No wonder they're always in the RED at the end of the year.

USPS> you need to change your shipping process. This just doesn't make any sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 05:54 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Texts and emails are delivered asynchronously on a best-effort basis. Not unusual for them to arrive out of chronological order. This phenomenon is not specific to USPS although the design of USPS IT and processes may make it more likely.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 AM

204 posts, read 289,011 times
Now I did check with my USPS office and they did verify the package was in Raleigh in the morning then in Greensboro in the afternoon and they couldn't figure out why it did so.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash04 View Post
So basically USPS is sending the package to Greensboro even though it arrive into Raleigh prior and I live in Raleigh, talk about wasting $$$
I just had the exact same thing happen. I looked at the time stamps to confirm the updates were not just out of order. Nope, I see

xx : xx - Arrival scan - Raleigh
xx : yy - Departure scan - Raleigh
xx : zz - Arrival scan - Greensboro

Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Interesting - I don't know what's going on in general with USPS - I live in Durham, a package sent to me from California went to Greenville, where it sat for six days and arrived at the Durham post office this morning. Odd.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 AM

260 posts, read 637,894 times
OP - This exact events have happened to my packages in past. I have so far ignored them as routing error in USPS routing software.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:29 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Possibly mis-sorted at the Raleigh plant into a bag for Greensboro instead of the bag for the post office serving your Raleigh address.

Does happen. I'm a USPS retiree.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:42 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
I gotta say that I've already personally experienced WAY MORE issues with USPS service in my 3 years of living in Raleigh than I did in my prior 50 years of living in various parts of western Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what's wrong here locally, but it's clearly significant. Recently, I had a supervisory person at a local Post Office who had transferred here from somewhere in the NE US in the past few years tell me that it was "beyond ridiculous" how bad the mess this area was with its service and management.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:00 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I gotta say that I've already personally experienced WAY MORE issues with USPS service in my 3 years of living in Raleigh than I did in my prior 50 years of living in various parts of western Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what's wrong here locally, but it's clearly significant. Recently, I had a supervisory person at a local Post Office who had transferred here from somewhere in the NE US in the past few years tell me that it was "beyond ridiculous" how bad the mess this area was with its service and management.
One thing to consider is that NC needed to add many new employees.

Almost all new hiring in this area in non-career with much lower pay and nearly no benefits. The person who transferred from the Northeast may have supervised a large percentage of long-time career employees who had a real reason to care about their jobs.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:20 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
One thing to consider is that NC needed to add many new employees.

Almost all new hiring in this area in non-career with much lower pay and nearly no benefits. The person who transferred from the Northeast may have supervised a large percentage of long-time career employees who had a real reason to care about their jobs.
Yeah, I think this is the overall problem with USPS these days. I've been getting my mail around 6:30 pm every day lately. No one wears a uniform...I remember my mail man from when I was a kid, and he walked the route, every day, didn't drive around in a truck (our mailboxes were on our houses). Now they don't even want mailboxes in front of houses, they want them in a centralized location in each subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary