Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:46 AM

299 posts, read 249,597 times

Advertisements

'As elsewhere in the South, are public schools equated with black schools?'

No schools up North are more segregated than Southern schools.

'Does everything shut down on Sundays?'

No, that started fading away decades ago.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 AM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Please. As much as you like to think that Cary is some utopia, its mostly conservative, upper middle class folks that work and want great schools, and enough Asians to have diverse food stores.
Thank you for telling me what I think. Most of the folks I know in Cary (which is you know, where I live) are Democrats and moderate Republicans who generally get categorized as RINO's. I wasn't saying everyone was, I can only speak to what I know personally.

My issue with his thread was the ignorance with his questions. I still have a hard time believing that they're real. Point being, before he picks a neighborhood in Cary (because you know, it's not all beige, it's not all conservative, it's not all upper middle class) he might want to research specifically because if he moved into my neighborhood? He may be pretty disappointed in the political makeup of those around him.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:45 AM

142 posts, read 175,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasleta View Post
I was supposed to get a job in another city, but the company had a hiring freeze so I am forced to accept a distant second choice in Durham. I have questions that were not readily answered by Google searches. I know it is not possible for all of the below to be true (hopefully none), but I need to ask tough questions to get at the truth.

- Given Durham's pride in its tobacco history, do the restaurants allow smoking?

- Given what happened to the Lacrosse players at Duke, with Mike Nifong and the university hellbent on hiding evidence and prosecuting the players, are whites not welcome in Durham?

- Given the prevalence of leftist politics, are children forced to use gender-free bathrooms?

- Are Walmarts available in the area, or do leftist local governments outlaw them?

- Do local governments outlaw plastic bags?

- Do Trump supporters get their car windows broken?

- Is there persecution of Catholics?

- Is there persecution of families that have more than two children?

- As elsewhere in the South, do whites call themselves "conservative" and then let their daughters run around in cutoff jeans and halter tops?

- As elsewhere in the South, are public schools equated with black schools?

- Among conservative whites, is there intense peer pressure to home school?

- Are there large Asian supermarkets in the area, or do mobs burn them down?

- Does everything shut down on Sundays?

I'm not here to read the riot act, I just need to know the reality. There are plenty of cities that fit at least some of the characteristics above. Los Angeles fits about half of these.
1) Your post is a troll post

2) Durham rocks but mainly because it doesn't have many people like you.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:24 PM

74 posts, read 83,202 times
Since I don't know much about Durham, my questions will naturally be "ignorant" and have "broad strokes". I leave it to you to fill in the details. If that area is like other liberal cities, it will defy whichever state or federal laws it doesn't like. If you keep pointing to state laws, does that mean NC has a tradition of strong rule by state government? I've known plenty of towns that treated state law as a joke.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:43 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post

Did you want a period after the No ?

Old 11-17-2016, 12:51 PM

299 posts, read 249,597 times
Quote:
Since I don't know much about Durham, my questions will naturally be "ignorant" and have "broad strokes". I leave it to you to fill in the details. If that area is like other liberal cities, it will defy whichever state or federal laws it doesn't like. If you keep pointing to state laws, does that mean NC has a tradition of strong rule by state government? I've known plenty of towns that treated state law as a joke.
As I said some areas are intolerant of people not like them. The name calling starts quickly. I tried to answer the questions I was knowledgeable of. I stick by my early recommendation.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:14 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post

'Does everything shut down on Sundays?'

No, that started fading away decades ago.
This is a fair question that is asked in a tactless way . It isn't uncommon in many parts of the South (Mississippi and Arkansas come to mind) for the middle class to do everything they can to send their kids to private schools.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:19 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,710 times
Quote:
If you keep pointing to state laws, does that mean NC has a tradition of strong rule by state government? I've known plenty of towns that treated state law as a joke.
Yes, and it's not a "tradition." North Carolina law grants the state government broad control over local government functions. This is not a "home rule" state. Many would argue that the NC legislature meddles too much in local and municipal affairs on a regular basis, in fact.

In contrast, under the California Constitution, charter cities are granted home rule over municipal affairs and are not subject to that level of state government control.

I've lived in both states and would take California's model in a hot second. I don't really care for the state legislature telling cities how many commissioners they should have or how counties should draw their districts for county government elections, and those are both things that the NC legislature has done in recent years.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:16 PM

74 posts, read 83,202 times
Ok, so does it follow a similar tradition as Virginia where the state government dictates what denominations of churches are allowed to sign marriage licenses? When I was there, police went around slapping tickets on cars that did not have "county parking permits", for the right to park a car anywhere in the county overnight. The Loving vs. Virginia court case happened for a reason, since the state government had stringent rules on who was allowed to marry whom under what circumstances. The state also had a tradition of exiling people it didn't like.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:24 PM

63 posts, read 82,060 times
Quote:
Ok, so does it follow a similar tradition as Virginia where the state government dictates what denominations of churches are allowed to sign marriage licenses? When I was there, police went around slapping tickets on cars that did not have "county parking permits", for the right to park a car anywhere in the county overnight. The Loving vs. Virginia court case happened for a reason, since the state government had stringent rules on who was allowed to marry whom under what circumstances. The state also had a tradition of exiling people it didn't like.
Um, which denominations are NOT allowed to sign marriage licenses in Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary