Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 02:28 PM

812 posts, read 832,043 times

Advertisements

A public workshop concerning phase II of the downtown Cary park will be held at the new downtown event space Chatham Station on Wednesday, July 25 5-8pm. https://www.townofcary.org/projects-.../downtown-park

Jim Burnett, president of the landscape architecture firm OJB, tasked with making it a reality, will be there. All are welcome!

Here are some of the projects in the portfolio of his company.
https://www.ojb.com/project/parks-gardens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:55 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
Yippeee! Cary PD issues approx. 6 tickets at Chatham & Walker to drivers failing to yield to pedestrians!

Town of Cary Police Department P2C

Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I hate that the crosswalk there are only to cross Chatham and not walker. I walk/run down Chatham and crossing Walker is dicey! No cross signal!

Old 07-20-2018, 07:26 AM

Yesterday Cary PD had a "sting" operation of busting vehicles not yielding to pedestrians who were using the designated crosswalks on Academy (by The Mayton Inn). They had a non-uniformed police officer (I'm guessing) who would wait for an appropriate break in traffic and then walk at a normal pace across the street on the crosswalk. They had a cruiser and a motorcycle around the corner ready to roll and warn/ticket any driver who did not yield to the crossing "pedestrian" -allow the pedestrian to continue across without "squirting by".

I've recently had two "close calls". Once while crossing on the crosswalk across Academy (driver figured I could wait in the middle of the street for him) and another time while crossing across Chatham crosswalk -with the signal at the intersection of Academy and Chatham (driver ran the red). Both times with my 4 year old son in "in tow" and both times by a BMW sedan.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:43 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Personally I think that is BS. Once the pedestrian has crossed the yellow line to the other side of traffic, why should cars have to wait? It’s even more ludicrous in places like on Morrisville Carpenter road where they have refuge islands in the middle. If someone decides to just stop there, in theory, traffic must stop in both directions, yet they encourage people to do so by giving them a spot in the middle. And when is the last time you saw a pedestrian bolt back the other way?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
Because a several ton vehicle could easily kill an adult or child. We all have places to be. Try to remember that we all desire to remain alive and unhurt despite any impatientiences you may have.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Personally I think that is BS. Once the pedestrian has crossed the yellow line to the other side of traffic, why should cars have to wait? It’s even more ludicrous in places like on Morrisville Carpenter road where they have refuge islands in the middle. If someone decides to just stop there, in theory, traffic must stop in both directions, yet they encourage people to do so by giving them a spot in the middle. And when is the last time you saw a pedestrian bolt back the other way?
I think the issue is more the vehicles trying to squirt by in-front of the crossing pedestrian. Those jerks should get a ticket. Now, if driving behind the crossing pedestrian, who is say nearly finished crossing to the other side, is illegal then I am guilty as well. I know what I consider safe and proper "etiquette" but I must admit I am ignorant about what exactly the NC law says. Hope those folks just got a warning if it is indeed illegal. To the Google!

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...e-summary.aspx

Still confused. I get the "Must Stop" -when pedestrian is in any portion of the roadway.... I guess that's part of the reason for the saying "Minnesota Nice". But what exactly is "Must Yield" -when pedestrian is in any portion of the roadway. Difference between "Stop" and "Yield"?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:44 PM

609 posts, read 505,940 times
I wish this was done a lot more often. It makes me sick to see cars not respect pedestrians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Yesterday Cary PD had a "sting" operation of busting vehicles not yielding to pedestrians who were using the designated crosswalks on Academy (by The Mayton Inn).

Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Yesterday Cary PD had a "sting" operation of busting vehicles not yielding to pedestrians who were using the designated crosswalks on Academy (by The Mayton Inn). They had a non-uniformed police officer (I'm guessing) who would wait for an appropriate break in traffic and then walk at a normal pace across the street on the crosswalk. They had a cruiser and a motorcycle around the corner ready to roll and warn/ticket any driver who did not yield to the crossing "pedestrian" -allow the pedestrian to continue across without "squirting by".

I've recently had two "close calls". Once while crossing on the crosswalk across Academy (driver figured I could wait in the middle of the street for him) and another time while crossing across Chatham crosswalk -with the signal at the intersection of Academy and Chatham (driver ran the red). Both times with my 4 year old son in "in tow" and both times by a BMW sedan.
I walk there almost daily to work and people are awful about stopping for pedestrians in that area. Another bad spot to cross is on the corner of the park crossing Kildare to the arts center. People turning right from
Kildare onto Academy do NOT stop even when the dang light is red!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I was about hit there again on Sunday. It is crazy. They really need to just make that a no turn on red. They get an arrow already when Academy has green, so it would not be a big deal having to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary