Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times

Advertisements

I just drove through Cary the other day and man is it a nice town. Streets are well-manicured and maintained and everything seems really clean and upscale. Seems like plenty of bike lanes as well which is nice for people like me who prefer to cycle. I wish there was some sort of rail system like Atlanta's MARTA that would connect Raleigh, Cary, Durham and other surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:49 PM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Yeah, sorry, wasn't clear. I'd like to see:

1) Some sort of connector to the Black Creek Greenway from downtown.
2) Extension of the bike lane on Chatham towards Raleigh past Maynard.

Bonus points for:
3) combination of bike lanes/greenway to safely get down Walnut and past the coming Ikea and connect up to the Raleigh greenways around Lake Johnson. (I'll ride roads now to do this, but worry about the Ikea/Wegmans future)

Best bet is get on the Northwoods greenway, by Northwoods Elementary School, up to Godbold Park which connects to the Black Creek greenway (from there up to Umstead and then Reedy Creek greenway to NC Museum of Art and the Raleigh system). Problem is Crossing Hwy 54/Chapel Hill Road in DT Cary; also have to ride along 54 for a couple hundred ft. Not impossible but not ideal. Are you looking for a pedestrian/bike bridge over 54(?)... probably not going to happen. I do believe 54 is supposed to be widened with a middle turn lane... don't know how that will effect things. I agree definitely needs sidewalk or a greenway running parallel to 54. We live less than 0.5 miles from DT Cary but this lack of pedestrian accommodatation along 54 prevents us from being totally "walkable" (safely) to DT; we end up having to walk on the grass along 54 for a couple hundred feet.

Still amazed by the lack of sidewalks in this area... even in "high-end" neighborhoods. I grew up in the midwest; with the "crappy" weather and all, and even the worst neighborhoods, and streets, have dual sidewalks (both sides). You would think in an area like this, with the nice weather and relative wealth, would have sidewalks everywhere (different thread probably).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I just drove through Cary the other day and man is it a nice town. Streets are well-manicured and maintained and everything seems really clean and upscale. Seems like plenty of bike lanes as well which is nice for people like me who prefer to cycle. I wish there was some sort of rail system like Atlanta's MARTA that would connect Raleigh, Cary, Durham and other surrounding areas.
Planned to get commuter rail between DT Raleigh and DT Durham along existing rail running though DT Cary. Increased service during morning and afternoon commutes. Stops in DT Cary and RTP. Totally sweet "idea"; we'll see if it comes to fruition. Could be total game changer... IMHO. 800 lb gorilla = sharing rail with current freight.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:54 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Want some laffs?

Poll some automobile drivers of varying ages and ask them what a sharrow means?
(Cary reportedly spent $160K on the painting the silly things last year.)

On another subject, light rail, rapid transit, bus rapid transit have all be frowned upon if it's anywhere near RDU airport.
Why? They lose parking deck revenue.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Postmaster is a new restaurant and bar opening in Downtown Cary, NC from Pharmacy Bottle+Beverage owner, Tyler Watt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
And something is coming into the Jones House (formerly Belle) soon too. Town of Cary has been keeping under wraps but I know they just approved some upgrades. Rumor has it, it's something from the previous chef from An.

Postmaster seems pretty fancy (from Facebook pic posts). I would anticipate that the previous chef from An going into Belle would be upscale as well. Already talk on here about Mayton Inn restaurant (Verandah) being perhaps "too fancy" for area. I enjoy Pizzeria Faulusi and Pros Epicurean. However, I hope DT Cary doesn't forget the common man. Maybe take a note from the Mason Jar in Holly Springs and now FV. Place is "local" and uber popular and packed 24/7.... 30 + minute wait at 1:30 in the afternoon. Like everything in life... balance!

Side note... we need a bagel shop and NY deli in DT Cary.... seriously. Kind of hoping for this with Belle... not another high end "boutique" joint. Give me my Nova Lox on a plain with a shmear and a spear (pickel) and I'm "golden".

Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Best bet is get on the Northwoods greenway, by Northwoods Elementary School, up to Godbold Park which connects to the Black Creek greenway (from there up to Umstead and then Reedy Creek greenway to NC Museum of Art and the Raleigh system). Problem is Crossing Hwy 54/Chapel Hill Road in DT Cary; also have to ride along 54 for a couple hundred ft. Not impossible but not ideal.
Like you say, the problem is that stretch of 54 on a bike. But maybe Academy to Johnson would work.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Planned to get commuter rail between DT Raleigh and DT Durham along existing rail running though DT Cary. Increased service during morning and afternoon commutes. Stops in DT Cary and RTP. Totally sweet "idea"; we'll see if it comes to fruition. Could be total game changer... IMHO. 800 lb gorilla = sharing rail with current freight.
It'll pretty much just be rush hour service - 4 trips each way during AM/PM rush hour and 2 mid-day trips so 10 trips total/day. Who knows about weekend service. It could be so much better if they didn't have to share with freight service.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 PM

164 posts, read 143,815 times
This question is a little outside downtown, but does anyone know about a pedestrian tunnel under Cary Town Blvd.? I didn't find it on Google Maps, and I've never seen one when riding on CTB. I saw it mentioned in one of the Fenton/Columbia development proposals.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Plans call for a ped/bike bridge over Cary Towne Blvd as part of the Fenton and Cary Towne Center projects. Not entirely clear to me who would pay for it...the bridge itself isn't part of the Fenton proposal so far, just a small landing spot for it. Still early in the process.

Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being a piece the town has to kick in for though, as the call for it comes from the town's Imagine Cary plan.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 PM

164 posts, read 143,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Plans call for a ped/bike bridge over Cary Towne Blvd as part of the Fenton and Cary Towne Center projects. Not entirely clear to me who would pay for it...the bridge itself isn't part of the Fenton proposal so far, just a small landing spot for it. Still early in the process.

Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being a piece the town has to kick in for though, as the call for it comes from the town's Imagine Cary plan.
What I saw referred to an existing tunnel, showed a picture, and said it wasn't suitable for pedestrian use because of frequent flooding. I'm thinking now they may have actually be referring to a tunnel for Walnut Creek. I'll try to get out for a look see tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:31 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
You're right, there is mention of an existing tunnel. I'm not exactly sure where it is or why it was even built, as based on the description it wouldn't be connecting anything. I guess maybe it was built proactively when Cary Towne Blvd was widened in anticipation of future development. Looks like there's no consideration of actually using it, and rightly so, based on the photo.

17-REZ-14 Fenton Mixed Use Development Rezoning - Town of Cary, North Carolina

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary