Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:05 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So, right away, your complaint against all Apex teachers turns out to be with just one? There are always teachers like this. Is it someone who is also a coach? Not to stereotype, but "coaches who also teach" have been doing that for years. Speak to the counselor or principal about getting your kid moved, if it's not too late for spring semester. Years ago, I knew someone with a "coach" for a history class who showed films of wrestling matches because he had was the wrestling coach and had a lot of wrestlers in his class. I thought schools were beyond that, but some teachers will always slip by.

Meanwhile, on-topic films are a good way to break up dry lecturing. Science classes, in particular, can use some wonderful "Cosmos" or Natl Geographic type films that show science far easier than a book can. Of course, the teacher still has to keep them engaged and watching the move instead of texting or whatever kids do...

Frankly, I bet many high schools kids don't even know all the states, so that could be useful--though coloring a map is more of a middle school kind of activity if you ask me. They don't still seem to make those wooden puzzles of the 50 states like I had as a kid and knew all 50 states by shape before first grade because I played with it constantly and probably still could tell you what color every state was on that puzzle, almost 50 years later
Every US History Teacher at Apex High is also a coach...at least that was the case in 2003-2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Earth to everyone who went to high school here but does not currently have a kid in high school. It's a whole different ball game. It's not like how it was 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:55 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Earth to everyone who went to high school here but does not currently have a kid in high school. It's a whole different ball game. It's not like how it was 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago.
Passive-aggressive sentiments aside; the fact is that it's commonplace for history teachers to double as coaches for high school sports teams; something that has been true for years and is not exclusive to AHS.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 AM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Frankly, I bet many high schools kids don't even know all the states, so that could be useful--though coloring a map is more of a middle school kind of activity if you ask me. They don't still seem to make those wooden puzzles of the 50 states like I had as a kid and knew all 50 states by shape before first grade because I played with it constantly and probably still could tell you what color every state was on that puzzle, almost 50 years later
They do still make these wooden puzzles - my 4-year-old son has one and has indeed memorized the shapes of many states. If he gets to HIGH SCHOOL and is coloring states as a "busy" activity, I'll be just as concerned as the OP, if not more.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
They do still make these wooden puzzles - my 4-year-old son has one and has indeed memorized the shapes of many states. If he gets to HIGH SCHOOL and is coloring states as a "busy" activity, I'll be just as concerned as the OP, if not more.
I'd only be concerned if my high schooler possessed an appropriate knowledge of the 50 states ... and frankly, most these days do not.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:32 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
In the future, all children will aspire to have PhDs. As a result, we will be waiting to give them a full basic education, that 50 yrs ago they got in elementary school, until they are doing their 4-yr college degree. Unless something changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary