Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Well, NRG is right. At least currently, they're not talking about regulating well owners' water use, but the idea of fines is what keeps me from thinking there isn't more to this than another state money grab.
I agree with your cautious approach on this issue. I too would not be happy if the local governments turned this data collection process into a method to regularly collect funds for something that is not a public utility. That would undermine the public trust in a big way. Hopefully that is not their intent and I think if this moves forward that point should be made very clear in any legislation passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
You mean the stuff that needs TO BE WATERED/kept wet to keep it in workable condition? I hate to break it to you, but natural turf actually does better than AstroTurf in a "no water" situation....
Right....remember this gem from back in October 07'!

newsobserver.com | Fake turf watered as supplies dry up (http://www.newsobserver.com/weather/drought/story/742218.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Again its still a well owner problem. Why does the City of Raleigh want to know what the well users are doing????
If your neighbor causes your well to go dry because they choose to waste water, then you would have a completely different view point on who's problem it was.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM

39 posts, read 92,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If your neighbor causes your well to go dry because they choose to waste water, then you would have a completely different view point on who's problem it was.
How do you know your well and your neighbors are even connected. Last I knew, wells are found at all depths. How come nobody blames their neighbor right now when their well goes dry. I think we're grasping at straws.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culvsy View Post
Last I knew, wells are found at all depths. How come nobody blames their neighbor right now when their well goes dry. I think we're grasping at straws.
People do blame their neighbors, neighboring community wells, and businesses when their wells go dry. Sometimes it is just a result of the drought, other times it is a direct result of overpumping from the aquifer. I know some farmers have had thier wells go dry when large neighborhoods on community wells spring up next to their farm. It can happen even when we aren't in a drought. This isn't always the case, but it can and does happen. Regarless of your well depth, you can be affected by the "cone of depression" by other wells in your vicinity.

Besides the well from the small house going dry, just imagine if the creek in the picture that goes dry also feeds into falls lake.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 02-28-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
Quote:
Since water aquifers are not exclusively under YOUR property, it is not exclusively your water to waste. We are all in this together, but you would never believe that to read the outrage expressed.
I agree that private wells are private, but they are taking from a public natural resource. If underground aquifers start drying up, I am sure many of you who are now blaming the government for mismanagement of Falls Lake will be first in line complaining about them mismanaging underground water. There are some towns in this state that do rely on underground wells for their city water. Perhaps Raleigh is looking at that as a possible back up now.....it IS a public resource.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:34 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
I'm not sure why several posters have referred to this as a City of Raleigh proposal, this is a STATE proposal. And in addition to the issues NRG pointed out, we have MANY issues with groundwater pollution in this state. Search for "groundwater contamination" on WRAL and see how many incidents pop up, including incidents in Cumberland County last year and Wake County this year. There are also the issues around the state's pork industry. I'm not sure what their water source is, but I know what it is doing: contaminating the state's rivers. Debate Continues Over Hog Farms' Impact on N.C. Rivers :: WRAL.com

I can think of multiple ways the state could use data on well water for planning and for contamination and disaster response. I think WRAL did everyone a disservice by spinning this proposal as an attempt to regulate home well water use. I consider it an attempt to collect data, and I have no objection to that ... though like sacredgrooves I wouldn't mind investing in a company that builds meters....

Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM

39 posts, read 92,318 times
Why isn't desalination the answer? Is it because of money? Or is some other reason?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:30 PM

282 posts, read 835,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culvsy View Post
Why isn't desalination the answer? Is it because of money? Or is some other reason?
Essentially money. It also doesn't scale particularly well (takes up a LOT of space to get form of decent volume processed as I recall). Of course - necessity is the mother of invention, so as the need for water goes up, I'm sure new methods to either acquire or purify/desslinate will come up.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM

282 posts, read 835,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
I agree that private wells are private, but they are taking from a public natural resource. If underground aquifers start drying up, I am sure many of you who are now blaming the government for mismanagement of Falls Lake will be first in line complaining about them mismanaging underground water. There are some towns in this state that do rely on underground wells for their city water. Perhaps Raleigh is looking at that as a possible back up now.....it IS a public resource.
Interestingly enough - All of Wake county seems to be drawing from a SINGLE aquifer what the looks of it on the NcWater.org maps. So - what your neighbor does is highly relevant to you.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
wow, and i don't even live in North Carolina... they're such jerks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary