Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,330,922 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. Comes down to will there be choice in Wake County Public School allowing our children to attend on a traditional calendar or will it be mandated that all new Elementary and Middle schools will be on a year round schedule. Debate on both sides with Pro's and Con's. It appears in order to facilitate the number of projected new students entering the system year round will be the only option. What do you think?newsobserver.com | Wake schools still in a bind (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/story/968419.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
I agree with Dawn Gruff (of Wake CARES) that one of the new schools should be opened as a traditional calendar school to meet the demand for parents who prefer to stay in a traditional calendar school.

Last edited by lamishra; 02-27-2008 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,087,756 times
I just don't understand why WCPSS proposed a reassignment plan using assumptions that were deemed unconstituational just last year. Has the law changed???

I agree that at least one school should be opened as a traditional calendar school. I like the YR concept, but until WCPSS can guarantee a family that all their kids will be on the same track schedule, I don't think its fair.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
They can still open them as YR schools, they just can't force you to go there. I have no problems with YR schools, but I DO think that for every 2 YR schools built, one traditional should open. It's just going to make everyone already in traditional schools miserable with more overcrowding and leave WCPSS scrambling to find spots whever they can for the parents who opt of YR.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM

166 posts, read 380,865 times
Default Shell Game

I think its really interesting that the BOE used the justification that they were being 'forced' by the board of commissioners into the Year Round option - pushed into a corner. And now the board of commissioners has put it back in their lap basically saying that it was the BOE decision all along. Someone if not many someones are playing a shell game with our children. And I think, in Cary Mayor's words, the 'entrenched philosophy' of the BOE (read Chuck Delaney's resume and what he has committed his life work to - social agenda) has A LOT to do with it.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,740,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
They can still open them as YR schools, they just can't force you to go there. I have no problems with YR schools, but I DO think that for every 2 YR schools built, one traditional should open. It's just going to make everyone already in traditional schools miserable with more overcrowding and leave WCPSS scrambling to find spots whever they can for the parents who opt of YR.
Maybe the idea is to make parents miserable at traditional schools so that they opt into YR schools. Which if this is the case is pretty terrible since the kids are the ones affected the most!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM

906 posts, read 2,378,554 times
Maybe the idea is to make parents miserable at traditional schools so that they opt into YR schools. Which if this is the case is pretty terrible since the kids are the ones affected the most!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
WCPSS has already said that they are not making the traditional opt outs attractive on purpose. Meanwhile they are STILL denying families who want YR to get it. I have 2 YR schools within a few miles of my home that are VERY underenrolled but they wouldn't let us go there. Instead we are at our incredibly overcrowded traditional school.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,087,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------
WCPSS has already said that they are not making the traditional opt outs attractive on purpose. Meanwhile they are STILL denying families who want YR to get it. I have 2 YR schools within a few miles of my home that are VERY underenrolled but they wouldn't let us go there. Instead we are at our incredibly overcrowded traditional school.
And it is precisely this sort of underhanded crap by WCPSS, using our children as pawns, that has us looking at other counties. Unless I simply can't help it, my son will not be a student in the WCPSS.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 AM

906 posts, read 2,378,554 times
Quote:
Unless I simply can't help it, my son will not be a student in the WCPSS.
I don't blame you. What's so funny to me is that everybody thinks its the newcomers who don't like the system but I have met and heard from more and more native Wake residents who are tired of the assignment policies.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
And it is precisely this sort of underhanded crap by WCPSS, using our children as pawns, that has us looking at other counties. Unless I simply can't help it, my son will not be a student in the WCPSS.
Totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary