U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2006, 02:54 PM

152 posts, read 593,977 times

Advertisements

Where would you recommend for someone who works from home? A larger lot of 1/2 acre or more that can be fenced , newer home and we have a budget of up to $550k. No children now, 3 large well behaved but active dogs and broadband internet a must!
Would like a small town to be within driving distance as we enjoy eating out and having a beer.
Originally from the UK , now living in Florida.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 03:35 PM

653 posts, read 2,867,262 times
What kind of work will you be doing from home? Some communities limit home-based businesses, so you'd want to keep an eye on the HOA. You said no children now - does that mean maybe children in the future? If so, keep schools in mind when you're looking around. There are some great communities in Wake Forest, and maybe Rolesville or Youngsville, where you can get a larger lot that you can fence, with fewer restrictions. The first one that comes to mind is Barham Place - the lots are at least an acre, and the quality of the homes is top notch. They are close to being built out, and we're starting to see some resale as well. Covington Ridge is another one in Wake Forest.
You may also want to consider Clayton - either Flowers Plantation, or possibly North Fort. Both are great small towns close to Raleigh.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 PM

152 posts, read 593,977 times
Its an internet based business so there wont be a problem. I hope anyway!
No children now ours is 23!
Not sure I want a brand new neighbourhood. I like something with some trees and mature landscaping we have enough new homes here in Orlando. Not my thing ! We live here in an older, mature sub-division called Bay Hill. Its been around about 20-30 years I believe but everyone looks after their homes and yards. I dont want a home where the HOA restrictions are ridiculous but it is nice to have some rules.
We will probably begin our search in earnest in January.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 PM

842 posts, read 3,101,402 times
Default Try Cary

For $550k, you could find a nice house around Cary.
(1) Lowest property taxes in the county.
(2) Cary is swimming in cash ($60 million extra in the city coffers last time I checked). So they have plenty of money to spend on landscaping/greenways/parks, etc...
(3) Has a very nice small-town feel downtown.
(4) Plenty of shopping available in Crossroads.
(5) Rated the safest small city in the country.
(6) In 2006, MONEY magazine rated it the 5th best place to live in the US.
(7) In 2006, rated the safest city in NC, and 8th in the country out of 371 cities (Raleigh was 162nd, Durham was 272nd).

Unfortunately, most newer homes in Cary tend to be on postage-stamp-size lots.

If I had $550k to spend (which I don't), I'd first check out Lochmere subdivision in south Cary. Lots seem to be about 1/2 acre (older subdivision...built before postage stamps were the norm), and it's wooded. It has two gorgeous lakes, paved greenways, golf course, 5 min away from Crossroads.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,503,342 times
I live in wake forest, and some of the places I would look (we like trees here!!!) and the homes tend to be on about an acre are:

glenmoor
kenwood reserve
forrest ridge (although this is my least favorite because the homes are on larger lots, but are all built close to the "main road" in the neighborhood)
Covington ridge (and phase two is covington crest) I live here and like it, definitely trees!
great falls estates
and, there are a few homes listed in historic wake forest which is WONDERFUL!

We have broadband, often my spouse works from home. Our closest friends in the neighborhood are from the UK (cornwall), via MA.

Anyhow, we looked at most of these neighborhoods, and I really like living in wake forest. Close to north raleigh for the beers (although we do have a couple of bars here!!!

anyhow, feel free to email with any questions. good luck!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary