Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichthots View Post
Its like some kind of BDSM contract without a safe word.
Superb simile. Concise and crystalline. Well done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 06:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichthots View Post
Incorrect and you've completely missed the point of the thread. The contracts are designed to limit the employee's choices or who to leave and go work for, not only while they are with the company, but long after they've left it.

What's worse, it's sprung on the employee AFTER they already left their prior job rather than letting them know the expectation of the non-compete before they are hired.

It's a dirty tactic that preys upon the fact they've already left their last job and will be left with no income and a gap on their resume if they feel bullied into not signing. Its like some kind of BDSM contract without a safe word.

It's not incorrect. You have an option. If you don't like it, don't sign it. Period.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM

10 posts, read 8,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
It's not incorrect. You have an option. If you don't like it, don't sign it. Period.
For most people, just saying "screw it" and letting the company fire them is more like an illusion of an option than an actual option. Can you tell us a little specifically about your direct relevant experience with this in the industry the OP is speaking about? Because you seem to be making vague guesses with no direct relevant experience.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 AM

23 posts, read 25,551 times
~~~ U P D A T E ~~~

O.P. again.

Busy. Gotta make this brief.

I finally found a good lawyer and paid her retainer.

She reviewed the noncompete and gave me advice. I'm very glad that I decided to do this and it was worth every penny. She explained things about noncompetes in general that I never even suspected, and likewise also things about my particular situation I wouldn't have known otherwise.

She warned me against taking an action others recommended, which saved me from making what could have been very dangerous and expensive mistake.

So I'm glad I followed my intuition and hired a attorney in this situation.

And I'm also glad that I didn't just call the first hit on Google, but instead took the time to find one who's good at this.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
So what was this advice that goes against what folks recommended here?

Old 01-21-2017, 05:11 PM

390 posts, read 366,678 times
Yes, please share (even generally)! That was quite cryptic.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Yes, please share (even generally)! That was quite cryptic.
He can't. His lawyer made him sign a gag order before she gave him advice.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
He can't. His lawyer made him sign a gag order before she gave him advice.
But if the Non-Disclosure Agreement was anything like I've read, he'd need to get a 2nd lawyer to explain it to him.
(The legal term for that is "Job Security")

Old 06-08-2017, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 2,084 times
Default Be Careful with Any Signed Agreement

I agree about the non-disclosure. A second lawyer will need to be present to explain the terms of the agreement. Signing a gag order is not the way to go, but if it confirms job security I am not totally against it. I have been practicing law for a long time and have never seen anything like this before.

With a non-compete you have to be very careful. You can get in a world of trouble if you sign one of these forms and do not adhere to it. I have had a number of clients who have battled with old employers over non competes. You can message me with any questions as I am happy to be a part of a local community and will be glad to provide complimentary advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: