Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:12 PM

4,527 posts, read 3,732,644 times

Advertisements

What insurance companies are people using for these price increases? We have Amica for the last 2 years and no increases so far.

Regarding the increase in construction costs, they are probably correct to some degree. We bought a new construction home 2 years ago, and I routinely ask for the "options list" every few months as the neighborhood progresses, from the sales agent. And with each update, the price of every single item goes up. This includes boring things from carpet pad upgrades to adding another inch to crown molding. The sales agent says, "The labor and materials cost of everything keeps going up too much."

Basically, the people who buy later in the neighborhood pay a lot more. This is expected, but the insurance companies are going on this timeline also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 03:35 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,579,732 times
I have the same rebuilt cost from 2008 as I do from 2016 (using a different agent altogether) and the cost continues to go up almost every year. I am sure all the hail dmg will drive it up again.

I am not sure if it's just price gouging or they are making up for a shortfall in some fund required to have on hand.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:36 PM

4,302 posts, read 5,980,319 times
We moved here in 2009 and started out with State Farm. When they tried to jack our rates 25% two years later, we jumped ship to Amica. Rates have only increased 3-4% each year with them. Still only paying $433 for $200k coverage with a $1k deductible, less than State Farm charged us back in 2009, never mind what they tried to gouge us for by 2011.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:46 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,187,796 times
I'm with State farm, I've signed the consent to rate, and my home insurance cost has gone down since beginning with them. I do have a personal and professional relationship with my agent though,and that can't be stated enough in the online world.

One big thing to make sure of is your insurance amount and your deductible.

I live in an area where land value is a significant %. The total value that I used to be covered for was so high because it didn't just consider the replacement cost of my house.

I do have home, auto, and a personal umbrella policy with my agent.

and my homeowners premium is nowhere near $1,900.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:24 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,349,955 times
When State Farm sent me the consent agreement, I switched to Amica. My rates were substantially below what State Farm was charging before they sent the consent decree, and definitely lower than what they wanted to raise my rates to. If you are happy with your current situation, then stick with it. But shopping around may lead to substantial savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary