Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yes it takes longer from the south side of FV. Yes it takes longer during peak hour. Yes, it takes longer going to north side of Raleigh. Yes, it takes longer if you have a really, really long driveway.

I do it under 20 minutes quite often. Even less from the northern parts of town up towards Ten Ten. How often do you do the drive?
https://goo.gl/maps/cMcQ5EtmYwJ2

To translate to Cary speak, it takes about the same time as it would from Cary if you were coming from Cary Pkwy + High House intersection.
https://goo.gl/maps/PkmjwrxE31y

Ok, so you are giving the best case scenario...no problem...but just make that clear to help the OP. Northeast FV to Southeast Raleigh, with no traffic, could be done in 20 minutes... and I totally concur.

However, just saying FV to DT Raleigh makes me think this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fuqu...5897!3e0?hl=en Core to Core = a little over 30 minutes on, literally, a Sunday afternoon. Just about any other time or day it would be even longer. I think this more generic situation, of core to core, is more helpful to someone interested in the drive time from "anywhere" in town X to DT city Y.

I know my personal drive time, from the eastern Edge of Cary to DT Raleigh, is not typical of going from Cary to DT Raleigh; most will be a little longer and some will be shorter. Also, I could be in Raleigh in 5 minutes...not DT though.

I have driven from the southern part of DT Raleigh, near 440 and 401 interchange, to the DT FV community center several times over the years. My best time ever was about 25 minutes and it only seems to be taking longer. I usually drive about 5 over the speed limit. Maybe I have really really bad luck with all the stop lights?

I stand by that for most people, under most conditions, most of the time, DT FV to DT Raleigh is going to be 30+ minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:00 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I stand by that for most people, under most conditions, most of the time, DT FV to DT Raleigh is going to be 30+ minutes.
I mostly concur, but you did switch it from central FV, to DT FV. 2 different things.

FV kind of starts at the downtown area and grows to the north and east. There is some new construction on the other side of town but if you look at a map of FV real estate, you'll see the population center is about where I put it - Main St and Sunset Lake Rd. (The community center is way on the other side of town.). FV is growing toward DT Raleigh, in some cases reaching Ten Ten Rd.

Not sure how to figure the center of Cary, but Cary Pkwy and High House was my best guess.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Chesnutt View Post
I see this a lot about living in the towns around Raleigh. I think it is great to have a reality check. Thanks!

However, in my experience living in many places across America, these commute times aren't that crazy. Pretty average for a place as spread out as Raleigh and with as many people who live there. I live 18 miles south of Denver and to get to Denver via 470/25 takes 40 minutes easy. Almost twice that during rush hours or snow days. Getting to CA State Capitol in Sacto from Elk Grove 15 years ago was the same deal. I'd imagine it's worse now. The commute between Tacoma and Seattle is enough to grind your soul into gritty black paste. Ever see Austin traffic? Yikes!!

I only say this cuz I'm sure the congestion and growth is frustrating for Raleigh natives and longtimers. But for many of us suburbanites elsewhere, we've long accepted that trade-off of affordable housing for time on the road.

As a former drywall hanger I can tell you these must be good times for guys who swing a hammer for a living and there's nothing wrong with that. Helps the whole economy there when everyone is working hard and population is increasing.
Exactly, everything is relative. I've mostly lived in smaller cities (Central IL) and more rural areas (San Louis Valley in CO) where there is little or non-existent traffic. My "commutes" have pretty much always been under 15 minutes each way.... even when I was literally running to work. So, for me, 10-15 minutes difference driving each way is HUGE! Over time.....that's a lot of time. Heck, even for just 1 day, a 1/2 hour "lost" is significant; but again, that is my opinion based on my past history/experiences. Trying to minimize the commute thing is a major reason we ended up where we did in Cary and not sprawled out in FV or Rolesville.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I mostly concur, but you did switch it from central FV, to DT FV. 2 different things.

FV kind of starts at the downtown area and grows to the north and east. There is some new construction on the other side of town but if you look at a map of FV real estate, you'll see the population center is about where I put it - Main St and Sunset Lake Rd. (The community center is way on the other side of town.). FV is growing toward DT Raleigh, in some cases reaching Ten Ten Rd.

Not sure how to figure the center of Cary, but Cary Pkwy and High House was my best guess.

The nomenclature is confusing I think. There are the terms "center of town", "town center", "core", "central <insert town name>" and "downtown" all of which I associate with and define as the "downtown" of any city or town. This is different from the population center of a town/city which is itself different from the geographical center of a town. Ugghhh, I think I just gave myself a headache.

Anyways then, I agree that the drive from the current population center of FV, nearer to the address you previously gave, to DT Raleigh is shorter than to/from DT FV. About 25 minutes this Sunday afternoon.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rale...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Don't mean to be "nit-picky", but, as I just explained in a previous post, I come from small town America and have never had long commute times so a 5-10 minute difference each way is relatively significant in my book. I understand that difference is not that big of a deal to people more accustomed to long suburban commutes of 30+ minutes.

Now, if you can figure out and define the whole Central Cary, Eastern Cary, Western Cary thing so that everyone agrees where one starts and where the other ends I think you should get the Noble Prize

Last edited by ncrunner77; 12-18-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 12:49 PM

30 posts, read 46,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
On downtown areas, Fuquay-Varina easily has the advantage. Rolesville has no downtown to speak of.
Really? No downtown? Hmmm. I visited two years ago and was so focused on how much the Heritage subdivision offered that I hadn't noticed.
We are going to check it out mid-February. thank you.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:54 PM

that is very helpful, wheelsup! Exactly the response I was looking for. My husband has worked from home for over 16 yrs so the commute to Raleigh and other areas is not an issue at all.
Our price range is $425-500k and we already have a realtor (to prevent any online solicitation).

When we visited Heritage South, I was taken at the lovely tree-lined streets, amenities and how everything was so close. The area of Rolesville is located in Heritage and close to all Wake Forest/Heritage amenities.
We are looking at private schools just because of all of the stress of school redistricting. There are several private schools within 10 min of the Rolesville area.
In Fuquay, it would take a good 25 min to get to the private school.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

CULTURE SHOCK ALERT for OP coming from Connecticut to outskirts of Raleigh:

Tiny downtown centers in Connecticut have Tiffanys and Volvo dealerships.

Walmart and over-abundance of fast food joints at every corner will be the norm in NC.
Architect77: I have lived in CT my entire life and I can assure you there is no Volvo dealer or Tiffany jewelry store in my town and I happen to live in an affluent area.
There are plenty of lovely shops that are small businesses which I like to support when I can.
It is an area that was established in the 1600's and full of historic homes and farmland. There is a Ford & VW dealership on the outskirts of town, however.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Chesnutt View Post
I see this a lot about living in the towns around Raleigh. I think it is great to have a reality check. Thanks!

However, in my experience living in many places across America, these commute times aren't that crazy. Pretty average for a place as spread out as Raleigh and with as many people who live there. I live 18 miles south of Denver and to get to Denver via 470/25 takes 40 minutes easy. Almost twice that during rush hours or snow days. Getting to CA State Capitol in Sacto from Elk Grove 15 years ago was the same deal. I'd imagine it's worse now. The commute between Tacoma and Seattle is enough to grind your soul into gritty black paste. Ever see Austin traffic? Yikes!!

I only say this cuz I'm sure the congestion and growth is frustrating for Raleigh natives and longtimers. But for many of us suburbanites elsewhere, we've long accepted that trade-off of affordable housing for time on the road.

As a former drywall hanger I can tell you these must be good times for guys who swing a hammer for a living and there's nothing wrong with that. Helps the whole economy there when everyone is working hard and population is increasing.

We aren't as concerned with commutes as my husband works from home and that is my goal as well.
We are looking for a lovely neighborhood with fun activities for kids, close to movies, shopping, library and town parks/lake.
I've done plenty of research on schools so I believe we'll go private for now unless things change with all of the redistricting and overcrowding.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenerznj View Post
We aren't as concerned with commutes as my husband works from home and that is my goal as well.
We are looking for a lovely neighborhood with fun activities for kids, close to movies, shopping, library and town parks/lake.
I've done plenty of research on schools so I believe we'll go private for now unless things change with all of the redistricting and overcrowding.
You'll find that any chance to "discuss" commute/drive times, traffic, bagels or pizza on here is jumped on with much gusto; really it's almost a competitive sport. They have de-railed many a thread. I take full credit (blame) for this one this time as someone mentioned the drive times and I could not resist the opportunity to "share my opinion". Of course, had I refreshed by re-reading your original post then I would have seen commute times are not a concern....now. Maybe, since your OP mentions nothing is certain and that this means there could be a work commute involved someday, then maybe.... just maybe the discussion of drive times was a little helpful.... maybe?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenerznj View Post
Good morning,
We are looking to move to the area and are finding what we're looking for in both Rolesville and Fuquay-Varina. Would like some feedback as to these two areas from residents. Originally were looking at Wake Forest but many builders moving to develop in Rolesville. We were also looking at Holly Springs but are now looking at builders developing in Fuquay Varina.
Two developments we're looking at are Heritage South-Rolesville and Sunset Bluffs-Fuquay Varina.
We work from home (husband has for 16 yrs) so no commute for us right now, that doesn't mean that couldn't change as we know that nothing is certain.
I'm a little hesitant about both areas as they are not "hot" areas.....yet.
Please provide feedback about downtown areas, shopping, library, parks & recreation activities for middle school aged children and area amenities.
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide helpful information.
Honestly, since you are mostly concerned with these criteria, and you are planning on private school for you middle schoolers, I am curious to know why the downtown Cary area is not on your radar. The downtown is going through extensive revitalization including getting a new regional library Wake County approves plans for future Cary library | News & Observer. Then there is Bond Park, Umstead State Park, Crabtree County Park, WakeMed Soccer Park, North Cary Park, and miles of city greenways connecting much of it. Does your family like to bike? Parks and rec? Cary just won a national gold medal for it https://www.townofcary.org/Departments/townmanagersoffice/pio/News_Releases/2016newsreleases/nr_nrpagold.htm

Here is the video that sums things up and helped them win it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oddYOJRfBAY

As a kind of bonus, the North Carolina Museum of Art, with all it's programs and new awesome outdoor exhibit/park areas, is nearby.

Private school? Just 5 minutes up the road, on Harrison Ave, is Cary Academy. Cary Academy | Private School Raleigh, Independent School Raleigh

Area amenities and shopping with local stores and restaurants... including many ethnic eateries? Check, check and check.

Of course, this is a more established area with very few opportunities to purchase a new build. But, IMHO, some things are more important than having a new house.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:16 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
How do you get from Rolesville to the airport in 20 minutes?? I live closer to the airport right off 540 and it takes me 25 even at 4 am.

OP, I'd visit both and look at schools if that is important to you. I believe Fuquay may have the edge on this as people I know with kids at Rolesville High aren't thrilled with it. But it would depend where those cut off lines are (and they may change again at any time).
I live just west of Creedmoor Road and north of 540 and I can get from my driveway into the RDU parking garage in 15 minutes off-peak. And so I sort of question the 20 minute drive from Rolesville myself. Google says it's 27.5 miles from downtown to RDU which means I can't make the numbers work.

For the original poster, you have taken two areas that are diametrically opposite each other on the map but are otherwise hard to distinguish from one another. I happen to like the Wake Forest main street vibe and the fact that it's far away from the insane expansion going on anywhere near Apex, Cary and Holly Springs. But Rolesville is remote in many ways and depending on where you're moving from, it may be too isolated. Plus, with your commitment to new construction, you may not only live far away from things, but also without an established neighborhood to help make you feel settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary