Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM

35 posts, read 37,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not technically-

What you are calling the beltline is 540, which as you also know is not yet a full circle but will someday be. When it was built, it was known as "The Outer Loop". But now, most just say "440" or "540", but "The Beltline" always mean 440.
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I thought they both were referred to as beltline.

Yes, I'm very interested in NC history, you kidding me? There is so much there. Its how you know the people and the place.

Also too, I did the Ancestry.com thing for a couple years. And if that info can be trusted, my line on my old man's side (Stogsdill/Stogdill/Stockdale) can be traced back to the NC Tories/Loyalists, though I don't think they fought. Not sure what to make of that. Add that to a very strong line that supports the handed down family history on my momma's side (Tippens/Tippins) that we were Confederates out of GA. Again, not sure what to make of that. Two-time losers can sometimes make a winner I guess, ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:01 PM

So is this North Raleigh here:

We visited this area and liked it a lot. Not North Raleigh, correct? Wake Forest?

Only recently became aware of this are based on Leesville Road HS having an orchestra. North Raleigh?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not technically-

"The Beltline" means 440, the inner (OLD) loop that circles Raleigh. Up until about the 1960s, the whole city limits fit within there. IBM's relocation here in the 1960s and the explosion of RTP and the new residents it brought, combined with the suburban White Flight happening everywhere in the early 1970s, exploded the area north of The Beltline (440).

What you are calling the beltline is 540, which as you also know is not yet a full circle but will someday be. When it was built, it was known as "The Outer Loop". But now, most just say "440" or "540", but "The Beltline" always mean 440.

"North Raleigh" used to always mean that area in between 440 and 540 and those of us who've lived here awhile still use it that way, even though technically anything north of 540 is also "North Raleigh" if it's in Raleigh. I personally call that "FAR North Raleigh" but that's just me.

Some, mostly real estate folks, have started calling the area just north of 440 "Midtown", but I know almost nobody who uses it colloquially--it's all "North Raleigh"; that part is more often known by "North Hills" since the booming area near North Hills Shopping Center fits any definition of quote-unquote "Midtown". (Factoid: North Hills was originally built in the 1960s as an old fashioned crackerbox MALL, a forethinking move by developer Ed Richards to have shopping to serve to growing population he knew was coming with RTP, and they did, in the neighborhoods between 440 and Millbrook Rd--"Midtown" as some would say). That old mall was demolished in 2004 and is now the more modern sort of higher-end shopping "village" that seems to be replacing a lot of the old enclosed malls.

Anyway, I went into this only because you said you're interested in history, which is refreshing coming from a potential transplant. But "North Raleigh" technically encompasses more than 50% of Raleigh's square mileage, north of 440 and informally bounded by Glenwood Ave/70 on the west and Capital Blvd/Hwy 1 on the east. The area between the Raleigh city limits and Wake Forest would probably just be called "NE Wake county" or something, I guess.

PS--if you're interested in specifically NC politics, Paul Leubke's Tar Heel Politics is considered one of the best. However, it's quite out of date, and the ridiculousness going on in the Legislature right now (literally as I type this) is a whole different sort of politicking that didn't descend on this state until 2010.

PPS--thanks for saying "The Beltline" instead of "The Beltway" as most who aren't from here do

Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
The northern boundaries of North Raleigh (whether you believe it's 540 or anything north as well) is hazy but if you call something North Raleigh north of 540 (and still within the city limits), people will understand what you're trying to say. Wakefield is also an appropriate name for that second picture and the third picture could be noted as the Leesville Road area.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Wakefield is also an appropriate name for that second picture
Makes sense since that is where Wakefield HS is (roughly). Thx!

Old 12-16-2016, 01:21 PM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
I can't speak to the HS orchestra at Leesville, but when my oldest was in 6th grade, she signed up for violin. She had a few years of piano lessons previously, but never had picked up a stringed instrument. The instructor was great. After a couple of months it was time for the fall concert and I was really surprised how well they played. It was really good -- not screechy at all. If he can whip those kids into shape that fast, I imagine the ones who stick with it become very good by the time they are in HS.

My house has had two re-assignments in 15 years. 1st when a new elementary was built, and 2nd when a new middle school was built. (mine didn't go to the new middle)

Yes, you can get some aircraft noise, but it is very dependent on where you are and your level of tolerance.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Thank you, that is very good to hear about the younger kids. Mine is still in fifth, but looking long terms. I want to make sure there is a path to keep learning. He does the school orchestra and private lessons with the instructor. She loves him to death and says he "gets it" very easily. Can you tell I'm a proud parent?

How's the culture inside the school? Fun or super focused on tests and STEM and all that? That's the struggle we are having here in our schools. The push towards rigor was really strong for a few years. The last couple school years has seen a change in approach and they administrators are creating more space to be kids which we really appreciate. But we switched school during that time so it may be the specific admin at each school has a different approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I can't speak to the HS orchestra at Leesville, but when my oldest was in 6th grade, she signed up for violin. She had a few years of piano lessons previously, but never had picked up a stringed instrument. The instructor was great. After a couple of months it was time for the fall concert and I was really surprised how well they played. It was really good -- not screechy at all. If he can whip those kids into shape that fast, I imagine the ones who stick with it become very good by the time they are in HS.

My house has had two re-assignments in 15 years. 1st when a new elementary was built, and 2nd when a new middle school was built. (mine didn't go to the new middle)

Yes, you can get some aircraft noise, but it is very dependent on where you are and your level of tolerance.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
I think your kids coming from Colorado will do fine in NC. We went from Colorado to Texas and then to NC and my experience is that Texas is the most rigorous.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 PM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Chesnutt View Post
Thank you, that is very good to hear about the younger kids. Mine is still in fifth, but looking long terms. I want to make sure there is a path to keep learning. He does the school orchestra and private lessons with the instructor. She loves him to death and says he "gets it" very easily. Can you tell I'm a proud parent?

How's the culture inside the school? Fun or super focused on tests and STEM and all that? That's the struggle we are having here in our schools. The push towards rigor was really strong for a few years. The last couple school years has seen a change in approach and they administrators are creating more space to be kids which we really appreciate. But we switched school during that time so it may be the specific admin at each school has a different approach.
There are probably 2,000 kids in that school (I think), so you will have all types. My kids like it fine. I don't know the would describe it as "fun" but I don't hear many complaints. I wouldn't say it's STEM crazy by any stretch. I was a bit disappointed in the electives offered -- seems bland to me. It's also on the block schedule. 90 minute classes and you have four classes a semester. Depending on how your schedule works out, one year you might have your math class in the Fall but not have the next one until the spring of the next year -- hasn't happened to my kids yet. That's a long stretch without a particular core subject.

I also find it humorous that students are not automatically assigned a locker. You have ask for it. Neither of my kids has one. They said it could be clear across the building away from your classes, making it too time consuming to get to. Consequently, their backpacks weigh a metric ton and they have their jackets/coats with them all day. Not a big deal, but I found that odd.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I also find it humorous that students are not automatically assigned a locker. You have ask for it. Neither of my kids has one. They said it could be clear across the building away from your classes, making it too time consuming to get to. Consequently, their backpacks weigh a metric ton and they have their jackets/coats with them all day. Not a big deal, but I found that odd.
That might be the norm now. My Middle Schooler has the exact same thing in regards to the locker. No locker at all and they have to carry everything. They have lockers for gym, that's it. The block thing sounds similar to the "pods" we have in our school. However, I agree, going that long without a core subject is cause for concern. My middle schooler was able to take a year of French this year, but they don't even offer French 2 next year. Then we don't know if he'll have to repeat French 1 again in HS. Seems weird.

My fifth grader has a backpack so heavy even I kinda strain to pick it up. I keep telling him i'mma buy a roller bag and he is terrified of the notion. I think the heavier the backpack the more status they get from carrying it. Kids.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I think your kids coming from Colorado will do fine in NC. We went from Colorado to Texas and then to NC and my experience is that Texas is the most rigorous.
What part of CO did you live? We're south of Denver in Highlands Ranch. That's why I was chuckling earlier when some were warning me that I might be too liberal for NC. Not much about Highlands Ranch could be described as "liberal-friendly" or even "liberal-curious." HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary