Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM

24 posts, read 21,472 times

Advertisements

I spoke to two realtors tonight about the prospects for a single family home on a budget of up to $450k. One realtor was optimistic and set up a time to talk. The other repeatedly stated that I would only be able to afford a home with a well and septic tank, and getting anything more than 3 bedrooms on a half acre lot would be very difficult. Why do they sound so different? Who is closer to the truth? (I have no restrictions on where to live in the Triangle, I do not know the area at all. I prefer a neighborhood with good public schools.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Sounds like you need a third or fourth opinion

Old 12-19-2016, 07:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring_stranger16 View Post
I spoke to two realtors tonight about the prospects for a single family home on a budget of up to $450k. One realtor was optimistic and set up a time to talk. The other repeatedly stated that I would only be able to afford a home with a well and septic tank, and getting anything more than 3 bedrooms on a half acre lot would be very difficult. Why do they sound so different? Who is closer to the truth? (I have no restrictions on where to live in the Triangle, I do not know the area at all. I prefer a neighborhood with good public schools.)
If you can drop your land requirement down to .25 acres, it opens up worlds especially if schools are important. Not that half acres are unheard of, but that extra quarter acre will drop your options considerably.

Go with the first realtor. Or talk to some of the realtors on this board who are likely more knowledgeable than the ones you talked to.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:17 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you can drop your land requirement down to .25 acres, it opens up worlds especially if schools are important. Not that half acres are unheard of, but that extra quarter acre will drop your options considerably.

Go with the first realtor. Or talk to some of the realtors on this board who are likely more knowledgeable than the ones you talked to.
You can get a single family home for your budget no problem (in a good school district) - your land requirement is probably the killer though if you are willing to be more flexible on that.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:22 PM

If I'm not mistaken, would not a .25 acre lot be the sort of environment where we would hear the neighbors' conversations and smell their food? We live on a 0.88 acre lot now and already have these problems. Whenever I've seen the triangle from the airplane window, it did not look as crowded as San Francisco, so what gives?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 PM

6,395 posts, read 5,520,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring_stranger16 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, would not a .25 acre lot be the sort of environment where we would hear the neighbors' conversations and smell their food? We live on a 0.88 acre lot now and already have these problems. Whenever I've seen the triangle from the airplane window, it did not look as crowded as San Francisco, so what gives?
.25 acre lot is on the large-side for homes in the Triangle....most new construction...even for homes with 3000+ sq ft...is on .15 acre lots max. Land isn't as profitable as it was here 15 years ago so builders generally have to cram as much house onto as little land as possible to stay ahead of the game.

No you don't hear your neighbors on .25 acre lot. On those zero-lot lines they build everyone on now....I'd imagine it's more common.

If you aren't set on new construction (or really anything built after 2005) you should very realistically be able to get a SFH with some "elbow room" in an area of Wake County assigned to "the good schools".

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 12-19-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 07:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,255,526 times
there are more than 300 homes for sale right now in the triangle MLS that are 4 BR with a .5 acre, can be had for $450K.

The 2nd agent is either not very bright, or heard something in your discussion that made them believe it would be in their best interest not to pursue helping you. The first agent appears to be right, but a really good agent is going to narrow down your criteria a long way beyond what you've shared before getting too excited. Maybe that happens in the first meeting you have. I assume you have been or will be pre-qualified prior to meeting.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:52 PM

6,395 posts, read 5,520,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there are more than 300 homes for sale right now in the triangle MLS that are 4 BR with a .5 acre, can be had for $450K.

The 2nd agent is either not very bright, or heard something in your discussion that made them believe it would be in their best interest not to pursue helping you. The first agent appears to be right, but a really good agent is going to narrow down your criteria a long way beyond what you've shared before getting too excited. Maybe that happens in the first meeting you have. I assume you have been or will be pre-qualified prior to meeting.
Limit that search to Western Wake's "big dog" high schools (Green Hope, Panther Creek, Apex, Apex-Friendship, Cary, Leesville)...and that number goes down to 13 homes for sale. 9 active, 4 contingent. Granted it's the lowest-listing time of the year.

"Good school district" is pretty subjective; but typically in Triangle-relocator lingo that translates to neighborhoods that feed into those aforementioned Western Wake high schools.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,255,526 times
when the OP chimes in, I can easily adjust. You can't say "anywhere in the Triangle, with good schools" and assume Wake County only

Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 PM

My oldest child is in first grade. We're not sure if we want to move here, it depends on what the area has to offer. Right now, it sounds as if we would have to pay twice as much for half the house. We bought our current home in another state for $190k, 2000 sqft, 0.88 acres, two blocks from both the elementary school and middle school (rated above average).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary