Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,226,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Vic,
Nothing personal just my observations. I'm sure your a very nice woman

Naw, BigMike, no offense taken. The original poster asked for opinions from those of us that have lived here and I've lived here quite a while! My question to you is that if you are so sure this isn't the area for you, why do you keep telling us that? I'm not being sarcastic (for a change) but life is too short...live where you want to live and move on. For those that moved here and don't like it...move again. ANYTIME I have a problem, the choice is to fix it or to complain. I'm a fixer!!! Don't get me wrong...I'm female so I can VENT!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:25 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,686,105 times
Default Moderator Note:

Here's the bottom line folks. Just play nice. http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/th7_9_6v.gif (broken link)

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,053,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Yes you are right, but after years of reading these post it almost sounded like an Utopia.
I don't understand how you got the impression from this forum that the Triangle is some magical utopia. In the year that I've been reading this forum, I have seen countless threads about this area's imperfections. I've read complaints about schools, litter, snakes, car taxes, traffic, water shortages, higher prices for groceries (and those groceries are taxed, too, which leads to additional complaints) and on and on and on. I think anyone who reads this forum for even one day will soon learn that this area is far from perfect.

Yes, there are a few people here who represent the extremes, but most of us are middle-of-the-road individuals who do our best to give frank, honest, helpful information - even when that information isn't completely flattering.

Last edited by MrsSteel; 02-28-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,150,796 times
I've been here 20 years and like Raleigh but things such as ozone pollution are relatively recent.

The area could absorb some growth. However, the mass influx is "the straw that broke the camel's back", and conditions are really starting to deteriorate.

Instead of finding an escape from the crappy places they left, too many new residents will turn the triangle into just that kind of crap they ran from.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,149,638 times
Saturnfan could you give some examples of the deteriorating conditions?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 8,553,988 times
I just want to ask one question to the group. How do people expect us to grow without using land? This WHOLE country is growing and more and more people are moving everywhere, everyday! Sure we could grow smarter, but we're growing none the less. You can't just stop growth...or it would surely be the death of us as a country.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,098,486 times
You certainly can't grow without using land, however growth could be better managed by using the land more wisely. This would include increased density, mass transit, walkable and transit-oriented development and more vertical development rather than horizontal.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,149,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
You certainly can't grow without using land, however growth could be better managed by using the land more wisely. This would include increased density, mass transit, walkable and transit-oriented development and more vertical development rather than horizontal.
Exactly. That was the purpsose of this thread. To find out other peoples opinions about the growth and what the local gov't & municipalities are doing about it. And if nothing is being done people need to start taking action, attending meetings & making your vote count!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,269,512 times
Good related news story on NPR this morning:

NC Voices: Growth & Transportation ~ North Carolina Public Radio WUNC (http://wunc.org/programs/news/archive/NLL0229traffic.mp3/view - broken link)

Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,083,950 times
Moderator cut: off topic

RE: Growth--it's a tough subject everywhere. I'm sure you could find people on the Phoenix board, the Seattle/Portland boards, other boards in the south (Charlotte, for example) all dealing with this. It's human nature. You move somewhere for the attraction of that area: weather, jobs, people, cost of living, etc. And it's not just ONE person who has this fabulous idea so you get growth. Some areas manage it better than others but if your town or city is a hot spot, for whatever things are attracting people these days, it's gonna grow.

It's early and I haven't filled my coffee quota yet. Does that make sense?

Last edited by autumngal; 02-29-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary