Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,563,647 times

Advertisements

Btw, I found this on the Holly Springs website regarding Avent Ferry: Avent Ferry Road Widening | Holly Springs, NC - Official Website

From Google Maps it looks like this has already been completed (or is nearly end of completion): http://www.hollyspringsnc.us/833/NC-...d-Intersection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
The vehicle registration fee is higher ($15 vs $10) but Cary actually has the lowest tax rate (property) in Wake County.

http://www.wakegov.com/tax/taxratesf...xRates2016.pdf

That's a little misleading - the tax rates are lower, but the higher property values mean that the actual amount of tax paid per household is higher.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 AM

811 posts, read 828,264 times
Kind of related... while I have the attention of some local traffic experts; what is the deal with 54 between Maynard and Cary Parkway? Lots of new development going in on that 2 lane country road.... reminds me of Holly Springs. I drive it and think... are they "pullin a Holly?" Road expansion should have been happening like yesterday. Somebody dropping the ball?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Agree with you except for one thing - traffic in Apex sucks too. And when are they ever going to finish the Peakway? Seems like it's been three quarters done forever. Cary does the best job of moving traffic. I avoid 55 at all costs, Kildaire Farm Rd. is the best north-south route for me.

But at least Apex had the foresight and planned for and will have a ring road... like FV (Judd) and Cary -which has two (Cary Parkway and Maynard). Smart planning/thinking by these towns. I don't know what the problem is with HS... something in the water? Ring roads/belt lines are very useful/practical.

But, they have the Salamanders!

Last edited by ncrunner77; 12-21-2016 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Add Salamanders

Old 12-21-2016, 09:07 AM

252 posts, read 275,217 times
Another project going on in HS is the main street extension, supposed to alleviate traffic on AF as well.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Kind of related... while I have the attention of some local traffic experts; what is the deal with 54 between Maynard and Cary Parkway? Lots of new development going in on that 2 lane country road.... reminds me of Holly Springs. I drive it and think... are they "pullin a Holly?" Road expansion should have been happening like yesterday. Somebody dropping the ball?
Cary's comprehensive transportation plan has NC 54 between the Morrisville/Cary boundary (where the Park West Village development ends) eventually going to 6 lanes: https://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Tr...tationPlan.pdf

Morrisville doesn't really have anything between the town limits and Cary Parkway planned in their plan but I'm sure there would be some coordination if a widening project took place there. I haven't been to $5 Tuesdays at Stone Cinemas in a while now that Raleigh Grande has that too closer to me but the last time I was over there for Blaze Pizza, it appears most of the development is happening in the Morrisville section, not the Cary section that is solely 2 lanes.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:11 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,985,611 times
Quote:
But at least Apex had the foresight and planned for and will have a ring road... like FV (Judd) and Cary -which has two (Cary Parkway and Maynard). Smart planning/thinking by these towns. I don't know what the problem is with HS... something in the water? Ring roads/belt lines are very useful/practical.

I think the HS mayor is super pro-growth. I remember when the Target was approved, he was talking on the radio about it and he actually said, "Cha-ching!".

Not sure if he meant to say that out loud!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Cary's comprehensive transportation plan has NC 54 between the Morrisville/Cary boundary (where the Park West Village development ends) eventually going to 6 lanes: https://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Tr...tationPlan.pdf

Morrisville doesn't really have anything between the town limits and Cary Parkway planned in their plan but I'm sure there would be some coordination if a widening project took place there. I haven't been to $5 Tuesdays at Stone Cinemas in a while now that Raleigh Grande has that too closer to me but the last time I was over there for Blaze Pizza, it appears most of the development is happening in the Morrisville section, not the Cary section that is solely 2 lanes.

Awesome! Great Pierre, I can't rep you enough on this thread; really, some useful information you're pumping out for all of us.

I do see Hwy 54 will be 6 lanes to Morrisville and I notice Holly Springs Rd will be 4 lane -with landscaped median (sweet) down to Holly Springs. The latter should help alleviate some of the problem with Holly Springs residents being able to get out of their own town. Nice to see TOC still has all their ducks in a row and is doing their part to help traffic flow in the region. Still, can't wait for the commuter rail... hop on in Cary and go DT Raleigh or Durham.. maybe someday????

It's PLANNING like this that has been the secret to Cary's success luring businesses and such. It should help with WakeMed's bid to be the area MLS site too.

BTW, I do think development along 54 there in Cary has changed significantly since you were last around those parts. Really, just in the last couple months; it's like someone flipped a switch. Lots less trees, more red clay, erosion skirts all over, and heavy earth moving equipment going deep back into where the woods were... again.... reminds me of driving around HS.

Again, for you, rep^10

Old 12-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Awesome! Great Pierre, I can't rep you enough on this thread; really, some useful information you're pumping out for all of us.

I do see Hwy 54 will be 6 lanes to Morrisville and I notice Holly Springs Rd will be 4 lane -with landscaped median (sweet) down to Holly Springs. The latter should help alleviate some of the problem with Holly Springs residents being able to get out of their own town. Nice to see TOC still has all their ducks in a row and is doing their part to help traffic flow in the region. Still, can't wait for the commuter rail... hop on in Cary and go DT Raleigh or Durham.. maybe someday????

It's PLANNING like this that has been the secret to Cary's success luring businesses and such. It should help with WakeMed's bid to be the area MLS site too.

BTW, I do think development along 54 there in Cary has changed significantly since you were last around those parts. Really, just in the last couple months; it's like someone flipped a switch. Lots less trees, more red clay, erosion skirts all over, and heavy earth moving equipment going deep back into where the woods were... again.... reminds me of driving around HS.

Again, for you, rep^10
Also from the regional planning organization CAMPO - in conjunction with Durham/Chapel Hill's planning organization (DCHC MPO) (last updated in 2015)

http://files.www.campo-nc.us/mapsdat...P_2040_Web.pdf
http://files.www.campo-nc.us/Plans/M...y_Projects.pdf

Remember this is just at a planning level, getting the project to construction is a another story.

Someone mentioned rail earlier, I was looking at the transit part of this plan just now and I noticed Holly Springs is included in potential commuter rail plans (http://files.www.campo-nc.us/Plans/M...jects-Maps.pdf) but things change all the time (as you can see with the light rail stuff) and it's probably still a ways out.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 AM

141 posts, read 162,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Shouldn't the developers be paying toward some of the road expansion when new developments go up?
That's actually how they're doing it in the newer parts of Cary. A majority of Green Level Church or Yates Store Road wouldn't have been widened at all if it wasn't thanks to Cary's rule, requiring developers in their jurisdiction to pay for road infrastructure improvements to align with Cary's Comprehensive Transportation Plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary