Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 05:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's good, but not what I had hoped for in the mythical "authentic, so it's special" category.

On that Salvio's pic -does a real Philly cheesesteak include the lettuce/tomatoes? What about grilled onions & 'shrooms?

I think "no" to the lettuce and tomatoes. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I thought about that when they asked if I wanted "all the way", I paused, and went for it.

It had peppers, onions and shrooms.

Buyer beware, "ATW" also includes Mayo. Just FYI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM

166 posts, read 419,201 times
A traditional "philly cheesesteak" does not include lettuce, tomatoes, or mayo.

There is something called a "cheesesteak sub" or a "cheesesteak hoagie" that does include those ingredients but not all places in Philly serve them.

Pat's and Geno's are the most famous cheesesteak places in Philly. They're right across the street from each other and they have a famous rivalry. Note that "traditional" philly cheesesteaks have cheese whiz on them. Check out the menus and pictures of the sandwiches...

Pat's King of Steaks® Since 1930

Geno's Steaks | A Philadelphia Original Since*1966 |*1219 South 9th Street *Philadelphia, PA

Pat's:

Gino's:

Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's good, but not what I had hoped for in the mythical "authentic, so it's special" category.

On that Salvio's pic -does a real Philly cheesesteak include the lettuce/tomatoes? What about grilled onions & 'shrooms?
You're totally right. It isnt authentic/special, its just an average cheesesteak. Both of the cheesesteak trucks here. On the upper end of the "hey Im from Philly and Im gonna do it the Philly way.....kinda....with what I have available to me...." cheesesteak places outside of Philly. When I have a craving for Tony Lukes as an example, this is an "ok" substitute.

No, def no lettuce, tomatoes, or mayo. If you go there, it then becomes a cheesesteak hoagie...technically. I havent had Salvios yet so cant comment on cheesesteak vs steak n cheese sub. Will give it a go.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
In my youth we called White Castle hamburgers "Belly Bombs" and the nickname was appropriate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7605...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Bell and Northern. I ate from there many a time. My grandparents used to live very near the north end of Bell. I lived on Horace Harding/201st prior to moving to Dix Hills.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:28 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Sonny's ?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 PM

14 posts, read 10,385 times
IP3 cheesesteaks are my favorite. They don't brand them as "Philly cheesesteaks", probably because they aren't that, but they are really good. And IP3 is now in Kenan - cheesesteaks only as Papa John's has exclusive pizza rights but it would probably be too hard for IP3 to actually cook pizza there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary