Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:45 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
After looking it up I still don't know what is going on so don't punish people who don't know the current terminology for, and/or, what Q is!
This month's issue of National Geographic highlights this topic. They have devoted a page or two to definitions and descriptions. I was more confused after I read it. I'll just keep my mouth shut for fear of offending someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
And as far as the censoring of words, it's an automatic thing. No person is going in and actually doing that. So, since the computers can't tell context and simply check against a database of banned words, things get caught. There are a few other random words I've run up against that I had to scratch my head over.

And I'll have to say that I'm still sit totally sure of the distinction even after looking around (and while I'm certainly not in the community, I've been to Drag shows, had gay/lesbian friends and acquaintances and am certainly tolerant) so education would probably be helpful. Or maybe if you could point out a site that says something other than what was copied earlier, which I also found and doesn't make much distinction.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This month's issue of National Geographic highlights this topic. They have devoted a page or two to definitions and descriptions. I was more confused after I read it. I'll just keep my mouth shut for fear of offending someone.
I hope the OP finds what they are looking for. This is an accommodating area.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
count me among those who didn't know q---r wasn't still some pejorative form of "homosexual".

of course, this was also only the second time I've ever seen the word heteronormative, whatever it's supposed to mean.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
And I'll have to say that I'm still sit totally sure of the distinction even after looking around (and while I'm certainly not in the community, I've been to Drag shows, had gay/lesbian friends and acquaintances and am certainly tolerant) so education would probably be helpful. Or maybe if you could point out a site that says something other than what was copied earlier, which I also found and doesn't make much distinction.
You asked, I answer with this: What does the Q in LGBTQ stand for?

In short, "Q" is less about who you have sex with and more about how you see yourself as different from the norm. That's a simple answer, and note that not everyone uses the term because the term is not reclaimed by even most people in the LGBTQ community.

Quote:
That said, we could use all the help we can get. If you decide to move here, I'd encourage you to look at Durham, Chapel Hill, or Asheville.
Durham, I think, has to be considered ground zero for the LGBTQ community in NC. For those who like mountains, Asheville is no slouch. Pittsboro and Winston-Salem are also good options, and Charlotte has a decent-sized community as well.

Last edited by amaiunmei; 01-02-2017 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: note

Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM

32 posts, read 35,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
of course, this was also only the second time I've ever seen the word heteronormative, whatever it's supposed to mean.
The idea of Heteronormative is when there is a belief that each person falls into one of two genders, and both of these genders have solidified roles. This is to assume that the default sexuality for each person is straight, and that everything outside of this is "alternative" or "other" or "not natural". What gender role you play entirely hinges on the reproductive organs you got via the lottery of birth.

i.e. Men go to work and enjoy sports. Women stay home to cook, clean, and take care of the kids. etc...

Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smote View Post
1. What are the odds of us having a bad encounter in public (in regards to appearance and unusual relationship)?
Highly unlikely. I had a same-sex relationship for 3 years and never had issues, even in the most rural redneck parts of the state. People are friendly, the major cities are quite socially progressive. The state level politics don't really reflect that.

Quote:
2. What is the employment like for visibly [gay] people?
A non-issue.

Quote:
3. Are there eateries for someone who is vegan/gluten free/other food related issues?
In addition to the places listed so far, I'd add Living Kitchen in Raleigh, which is a gluten free/vegan/raw restaurant that impressed me quite a bit.

Quote:
4. What parts of town would be good for living in?
Whatever you can afford.

Quote:
5. Walkability of areas?
All three downtowns are walkable, with good nightlife options. However, for living and working this region is fairly car-centric.

Quote:
6. The level of intersectional diversity / diversity of communities (not just statistics which can show a high level of diversity but don't display large areas of segregation)?
There's an unfortunate amount of racial division still. Black communities are largely clustered in central Durham and eastern Raleigh. Chapel Hill is extremely white.

Quote:
7. What does the activist scene look like?
We have the Moral Mondays movement, as well as some smaller things.

Quote:
8. What does the [gay] community look like?
Well, most of my friends are gay, and some are trans. It's a decently sized community from what I've seen, but not the most organized.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
only 3 out of 100 counties and a handful of cities prohibit discrimination due to gender identity (and that's only in public employment). So, in most of NC, the vast majority of public employment and ALL of private employment has the ability to fire based on gender identity alone
In fact, since HB2 is still "active", ALL protections for L, G, B, T, or Q are void. 100 out of 100 counties. And no municipality or county is allowed to write any (there's that Republican "smaller government", dontcha know?).

Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
But private businesses are free to allow whatever they want to do. HB 2, as bad as it is, only applies to governmental entities. I've seen a large number of restaurants actively doing the reverse by taking previously divided restrooms and making them all into gender neutral so it's had an opposite effect in some places.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:58 AM

170 posts, read 346,009 times
My family is Q friendly, refugee friendly. We just sold our home in the state of nc and are moving to a friendly state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary