Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 07:50 PM

346 posts, read 308,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Columbia, at it's core especially, feels way more urban and gritty than Raleigh . I'd argue that outside of Charlotte's core, there isn't a city in NC that "feels" more urban and gritty than Columbia, aside from Greensboro, maybe. Raleigh looks pristine, often feels incredibly" "suburby " and devoid of character compared to Columbia. Raleigh really is slowly becoming faceless and devoid of identity. And it's by design. I have a feeling that's what you might be going for, so have at it.

Then a big HELL to the NO on that!!

That will be just a better Portland, im seeking a lot better than Portland in the urban dept. Columbia looks to have that down on the 100. I dont want giant suburb kinda living like it is here in Tigard or Beaverton. No thanks on that.

The 2 cities I had because of being urban, outgoing enough and cheap, were Omaha NE although in the cold midwest, then Columbia.. Not bad picks at all on a nation wide scale I dont feel to leave the masses of people coming in droves to other spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Columbia's unique topographical features just naturally give it character. Its a river city with palmettos and it has a variety of architectural stylings in its residences around downtown and the fringes.

It's not all 12 story lofts lol

Gritty meaning. ..the wear and tear on the "face" of parts of the city. ..something you'd see in much bigger cities.

Raleigh is becoming so predictably posh everywhere. Outside of the historic neighborhoods, everything is starting to feel like a sanitized, "facelifted" carbon copy. Columbia's roots are still visible.

The reasons people dont want to come to Columbia, makes me want to live there the most it seems like. If most people want these devoid, cultureless, whitebread new suburbs with K-12 schools and strip malls with a bunch of nothing, upper middle class, thats so not for me. Thats putrid to someone like me. Plus I will take the heat if it means I get other benefits. raleigh seems cold too.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I would look into Charlotte or Greenville, SC over Columbia (Charlotte as a bigger city option and Greenville as a smaller city option). Greenville is definitely up and coming.

Those words "up and coming" I want to avoid. Thats a setup for future issues.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
If you get an opportunity to, Greenville is a much better place than Columbia to live!

But for what demographic do u speak for? Whitebread upper middle class??

Old 01-20-2021, 08:17 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread, but just saw this. I currently live in Greenville, SC. It's a nice small city; plenty to do in normal times, and close to gorgeous and challenging mountain hiking. Diverse, some "gritty" areas, and does not have the overly suburban feel of Raleigh (which my son grew up with and misses- that's another story). No one I have met here likes Columbia; it's considered the armpit of SC. My other son lived there for two years and hated it. There are some interesting areas downtown, and the zoo is fantastic. Other than that I think Greenville is vastly preferable.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:34 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Quote:
As a Clemson fan, I can confidently state that there is no redeeming quality about Columbia, SC

I'm no Clemson fan but this post made me laugh I see the OP made up her mind but I'll chime in.

Columbia is a decent city but damn it's hot as hades down there in the Summertime! The city for better or worse is also a giant college town in the sense that Chapel Hill is a college town (where the town is the college and vice-versa). There's also the government/military factor but by and large the town has always struck me as being a college town first and everything else second. Not the worst thing in the world but it's not for everyone, and someone moving there who has little to no interest in SEC Football may get a little overwhelmed.

FWIW, I have Gamecock friends who stayed after graduation but they all left in their mid-20's and some of them are currently living in Raleigh, and probably will be for awhile, Covid or not. They all had the same thing in common, the jobs were just better elsewhere. YMMV

Old 01-20-2021, 08:53 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
My parents say I’m a banana - yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,850 times
Quote:
My parents say I’m a banana - yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

LMAO. This reminds me of someone calling Joanna from that HGTV show the whitest woman of color.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:00 PM

65 posts, read 21,677 times
It probably comes down most to life style choice. Raleigh is more New South...high tech, educated, and fast growing...and yes expensive (by southern standards anyway). Columbia is more old school, old south, small town. The Columbia city limits is 130,000 compared to Raleigh's 475,000. The Columbia metro is half the size of Raleigh's at 780,000 compared to Raleigh's 1.4 million...and that's without the Durham/Chapel Hill area...the Triangle region as a whole is close to 2.5 million with no signs of slowing in continued growth rate.

I prefer North Carolina in general overall. Outside of Hilton Head and Charleston, the entire state of South Carolina feels like something out of a Coen Brothers movie.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplanted View Post
It probably comes down most to life style choice. Raleigh is more New South...high tech, educated, and fast growing...and yes expensive (by southern standards anyway). Columbia is more old school, old south, small town. The Columbia city limits is 130,000 compared to Raleigh's 475,000. The Columbia metro is half the size of Raleigh's at 780,000 compared to Raleigh's 1.4 million...and that's without the Durham/Chapel Hill area...the Triangle region as a whole is close to 2.5 million with no signs of slowing in continued growth rate.

I prefer North Carolina in general overall. Outside of Hilton Head and Charleston, the entire state of South Carolina feels like something out of a Coen Brothers movie.
LOL on SC! Greenville is a nice place too, but when I drive away from it there are many areas in which I just feel like I don't belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary