Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
I'm guessing we get a couple inches but none of it sticks because the ground is too warm at this point.

I hope you're joking. There's no such thing, that's an old folklore type legend.

I don't even want rain. I'm looking forward to the next deought, where it doesn't rain for 3 or 4 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
How much snow??? That answer can be somewhat 'foggy' or one might say 'snowy' even.
I am glad I keep my tin foil cap handy for these type of questions.
Straighten it out a bit to get back into the shape of a cap.....ah that's better.
Placing gently on head, adjust the 'z' axis a bit.
Concentrating on weather.....winter weather, spring and summer I must tune you out...boo-hoo.
Ah there is the winter scope coming into view....
Hold on have to add the 2nd pair of socks and mittens...toe jams and fingers are getting cold.....
Hmmmm......a-ha......oh not that!!!! Wait for it........

2.8576 inches or 7.2583 cm if you like.

That's it, taking the tin foil hat off, socks and mittens and putting away for the next question on snow.

May your shovels be ready,
May your salt be salty,
and may you enjoy the snowfall as a kid again!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I hope you're joking. There's no such thing, that's an old folklore type legend.
No it's not - especially on pavement/roads.

Ever wonder why bridges freeze first?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:36 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Geez, if we get anything more than 3", what with the temperatures staying so low, we'll be home bound for at least a week. I love living here, it blows up all the rules I knew growing up in the North.
Yep, that's the way we roll!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:41 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Makes absolutely zero difference. I've seen several inches of snow stuck just fine in April after many 70+ days. Folklore, plain and simple. Hogwash.

Nope, I don't wonder why bridges freeze first. Science isn't confusing.

Even Greg Fischer went on about this myth a few years ago saying the old legend of "ground too warm" was hogwash. For once he was spot on! ; )

Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Snow aside, Weather Channel currently predicting a low of 5º Sunday night. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if school gets at least delayed even just for that.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Snow aside, Weather Channel currently predicting a low of 5º Sunday night. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if school gets at least delayed even just for that.
Definitely, if we get any kind of precip, it will be frozen solid on Monday morning so start planning WEATHER DAY activities with the kids ugh.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

Bridge freeze first because there is cold over and under the relatively thin layer of pavement, has nothing to do with overall ground temperature or how warm it's been.

If it's cold enough to snow, and it comes down fast enough, it WILL stick, even though it's 60 freaking degrees today.

Let the brining begin!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Bridge freeze first because there is cold over and under the relatively thin layer of pavement, has nothing to do with overall ground temperature or how warm it's been.

If it's cold enough to snow, and it comes down fast enough, it WILL stick, even though it's 60 freaking degrees today.

Let the brining begin!
Yes but the colder the ground, the quicker it will stick and accumulate. When the ground, especially pavement is on the warmer side, it takes much heavier/steadier snow for sticking to occur.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/452/

"4. If the ground surface temperature is above freezing, sleet and snow will melt as it reaches the surface. An exception to this is when heavy sleet or snow falls and the accumulation rate exceeds the melting rate. If sleet or snow are seen falling, even if the precipitation melts when it reaches the surface, it will still be reported as sleet or snow."

Last edited by m378; 01-04-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Yes but the colder the ground, the quicker it will stick and accumulate. When the ground, especially pavement is on the warmer side, it takes much heavier/steadier snow for sticking to occur.
Correct. It's called thermal mass. If it's been warm or sunny roads will retain heat. Snow will stick to grass first and eventually the road when it gets cool enough. Bridges being open on top and bottom see the cooling affect from the air temp prior to most roads.

We almost always have a layer of ice beneath the snow in this area due to the melting on the road that happens in the beginning of the snow fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary