Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:51 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times

Advertisements

Here's a WxRisk 1st guess map from a few hours ago:

Quote:
FIRST GUESS MAP IS HERE

1. Keep in mind that this is a FIRST GUESS map. It is NOT NOT NOT a final forecast. It just gives an idea of where my current thinking is and the type of event that I see developing for in different areas in the Deep south and the Lower Middle Atlantic region.

2. All forecasts have the areas of uncertainty or variability. It is the nature of the business and the nature nonlinear dynamics / chaos theory. So what are the unertainties in this forecast?

RICHMOND - the weather models are not in good agreement as to how much snow Richmond is going to get. But one thing that all the models ARE e showing is at the snow amounts will vary significantly over very short distance across the Richmond metro area. This means that location such as SORT PUMP and Ashland could see less snow by several inches then what falls over Petersburg Chester or the Airport.

THE NORTHWEST SIDE OF THE LOW --
Because this is not going to be full raging powerful nor'easter which is coming up the coast ...the dynamics of the system will be different. We have a lot of arctic air coming in from the northwest and because the Southern System is being sheared as it tries to come up the North Carolina Coast.... the northwest side of the precipitation shield IS going to be weaker than it normally would be. ThIs mean it is possible that areas such as Charlottesville Lake Anna Fredericksburg could see one or less -- or absolutely nothing. This also applies to locations such as Farmville Lynchburg and Roanoke.

THE DELMARVA & lower Maryland eastern shore area. Because the cold air here is deeper and more entrenched the snow ratio here may be higher. So even though this region maybe a little further away from the Low itself... It is s possible that the locations such as Salisbury MD and Melfva VA could see 6"

WHAT WE DO KNOW --
this is going to significant snowstorm for Hampton Roads ...Northeast NC and probably even over the North Carolina outer banks ..as well as Elizabeth City down towards Raleigh and Charlotte NC and into northwest hill country of SC.
Source:
https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/phot...32433130137276
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:52 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Here's a WxRisk 1st guess map from a few hours ago:

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/WxRisk/phot...32433130137276
That there's a 10 day shutdown a-coming!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraction View Post
Sorry. Can you pick up the puppy Friday evening? Maybe you can work something out with the foster family.
Currently working on that plan. He technically turns 8 weeks (minimum age required to adopt) tomorrow so hoping that will work.

No the question will be how to teach a pup to use the bathroom outside if everything is covered with snow/ice!!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Currently working on that plan. He technically turns 8 weeks (minimum age required to adopt) tomorrow so hoping that will work.

No the question will be how to teach a pup to use the bathroom outside if everything is covered with snow/ice!!
I hope you can get him Friday! I know that would be such a disappointment not to get him this weekend. And would be so fun to have him in the snow. (pics please!)

Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,338,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Yeah, I thought about that. Could be fun though! Puppy's first time in the snow. Awe .

Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Unlucky me as to work this weekend. I have to drive from Durham/Briar Creek to wake forest road off 440 on Saturday around 8am. Should I stay somewhere close to work on Friday night? I guess I can't make this decision til like tomorrow evening.

I've lived in NJ and PA for several years, driving in snow is no problem for me. But driving in the last 2 years of ice storms was a nice big challenge! At least we don't get ice this time (hopefully).

Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We were supposed to get our dog over Christmas break a few years ago - I was too sick so we waited till spring break - I feel for ya, Nick, tough weather to get a puppy but it may be cuteness overload with a puppy in the snow.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That there's a 10 day shutdown a-coming!
UGH, I fear you are correct.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
As the totals start to edge up, I'm also hearing there may be a bit more of a sleet component than first expected. When that happens, my concern immediately turns to wind, but I haven't heard anyone mention if we are going to have wind associated with the storm and how high the winds could get.

Sleet and wind are no joke.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
UGH, I fear you are correct.
Stocking up on the honey-do and work from home project lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary