Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
They can't find you to fire you.
LOL
You may be onto something there.

Wally in Dilbert is my idol. Ultimate Survivor, regardless of the collateral damage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,612 times
I have worked for the same company doing IT security for 8 years. In those 8 years the cubes have gotten smaller in spite of moving more jobs over seas. I guess it's an accounting thing or maybe HR is just justifying their existence.

The last round of renovations in my office was 100% to cram more people into the space (6 people into 8 for the same space). The worst part is it's noisy and everyone is holering over each other on their headsets becasuse even though we all work together, we also all work with people in difference offices and are on conf calls all day.

I bet there are close to 150 people in a space that probably was meant for 75-100 back in the day.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup and my guess is people are much more likely to lose patience with slacker co-workers so it keeps the field hands spying on each other.
Nobody knows how efficiently another person works, though. One guy might get more done in an hour than another might get done in two. If the faster guy takes more breaks, people think he's a slacker.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
There's been a large push over the years for transparency and accountability at work. Those who work in agile software shops will know exactly what I'm talking about. The open seating and "collaboration" BS is just part of it.

All it is is an excuse for managers not to have to manage. At the same time, it pisses off good employees, and encourages them to work at a slower pace so that they never have any downtime. It makes slow, mediocre employees look great.

I used to bust my butt to get my work done quickly, and use the free time in between to do some self-training, learning, etc, or even (GASP) do something non-work-related. Now I work at a snails pace so that when I attend my daily standup meeting, I always can say that I worked on something yesterday, and will be working on something today.

So if anyone ever wonders why I spend so much time on CD, there you go
Same, minus the open space because I telecommute. So, I CAN get other stuff done to improve myself, but I am also free to take breaks and not pretend to be working.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,637 times
A lot of people in this thread need to look in the mirror. Saying you work slowly, or you take advantage of breaks or whatever else, because open seating/lack of cubes/offices is some conspiracy against you.....wow. Perhaps you're just looking for an excuse to be lazy. That's ok, not judging, but call it for what it is. It's your mindset, you decide how to react, and if that's the way you do, ok well that's on you, but you're not fighting back against some conspiracy, you're just finding an excuse to be lazy. Just call it like it is.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
A lot of people in this thread need to look in the mirror. Saying you work slowly, or you take advantage of breaks or whatever else, because open seating/lack of cubes/offices is some conspiracy against you.....wow. Perhaps you're just looking for an excuse to be lazy. That's ok, not judging, but call it for what it is. It's your mindset, you decide how to react, and if that's the way you do, ok well that's on you, but you're not fighting back against some conspiracy, you're just finding an excuse to be lazy. Just call it like it is.
Just curious, what line of work are you in?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 11,540 times
Quote:
Just curious, what line of work are you in?
Apparently one that's very out of touch with any sort of technical discipline. Either that or he's just trolling. Nobody with a clue believes what he just wrote.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,764,637 times
Hahahaha wow - I feel sorry for you. All about everyone else huh? I guess thats why there are lions and there are sheep in the world, no getting around that. Don't expect you to get it, its ok.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Hahahaha wow - I feel sorry for you. All about everyone else huh? I guess thats why there are lions and there are sheep in the world, no getting around that. Don't expect you to get it, its ok.
Sooooo, what's your line of work?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Sooooo, what's your line of work?
Open office planning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary