Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 AM

24 posts, read 21,448 times

Advertisements

I've been at this job for a few weeks now, where nobody is assigned any seating. So people have to carry their belongings everywhere, spending much of their day: looking for an open workstation, packing, unpacking, walking across the building to get supplies or coffee, adjusting the workstation so it works right, and looking for lost belongings. Managers do this all day long too, and have to give approval for every single task their employees do. So a manager's day is spent packing, unpacking, going to meetings, and approving every staple the employees use.

Needless to say, productivity is zero and most people have quit. My supervisor quit too after hiring me. The company is paying top dollar to hire people faster than they quit, and many management positions remain vacant. Is this sort of environment common among tech companies in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,680,587 times
I have never heard of such a thing, ever. Has this employer been around awhile? Either the employer is too cheap to comfortably accommodate its employees, or this is bad concept to preventing "personal anything" in their workforce.

With that kind of money going down the drain, it's ultra-poor management with a lot of red flags. Do they offer retirement? Hate to think how they "handle" benefits.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 AM

39 posts, read 36,574 times
Can't say anything about approvals for items - but overall larger companies like "open" seating as you call it to decrease politics and increase collaboration, flexibility, morals. I have worked and lived in many different countries for different employers and I always liked that mostly I could sit wherever I want.
Have met many new friends/colleagues that way who I wouldn't have met sitting in the same spot for years. Most startups, tech companies and "innovative" players try to adopt these kind of concepts to make your work space as "free" as possible.

this is just my opinion, of course. I am sure there are people who'd prefer to keep one desk they can decorate or style differently.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:25 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
That sounds like the WORST bordering on sitcom level. They should at least give you tote bags so you can keep your stuff together...

I work from home now so I don't know how common it is, but IMO start looking :-O

...or, with so many leaving, you could stay and end up a top exec ?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:38 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Find a spot.
Stake a claim.
Stare at claim jumpers.

Sounds like a place where it would be impossible, well, difficult, to get fired....

Old 01-04-2017, 07:21 AM

5,325 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullish View Post
but overall larger companies like "open" seating as you call it to decrease politics and increase collaboration, flexibility, morals.
In my experience, this is an HR talking point and the upper management likes to pat themselves on the back for being "open".

In reality, at least in my opinion, it has the opposite effect - decreases collaboration and morale, but in fairness I would assume that it depends on what your job duties are.

There are those, like myself, who don't need to collaborate and do require a quiet and/or private office from time to time. So for management and HR to paint with such a broad brush - no it does not work for everyone.

Back to the OP, what line of work are you in? I've seen that in sales departments where people spend time on the road but never for a FTE to have to deal with that on a day to day basis.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
I know of people whose companies have gone this route and it's generally in fields where they want to encourage folks to work from home more. Is this the case with your company or are you required to go in? I don't know that I'd stick around long in that environment even for top dollar.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:42 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Wouldn't this kind of thing be noticeable during interviews/office tour???

Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 AM

39 posts, read 36,574 times
You wouldn't necessarily know during the interview whether colleagues sit at that desk every day or not. But "hot desks" are something the HR team would highlight as a "benefit", because it is all the rage and "like a startup". They also go with free fruit in the morning and a few bright soft foam ear chairs in the corner. This all screams "we are innovative and cool".

I guess I spent way too many years of my life in the corporate world...

Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,618,413 times
Depending on the employer, it can be an attempt to save on office space if a lot of employees work from home. On the floor where I work, some employees are assigned cubicles but I literally have seen them at their desk once or twice in two years. The rest of the time they work from home. In situations like that I can see not assigning a specific cubicle, and that has been done for some departments. On the other hand, I tend to be at my desk anywhere from 3-5 days a week, and would find it annoying not to have a set place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary