Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,735 times

Advertisements

Need some advice I am looking to move from NJ to NC to area I have been looking at is Holly Springs, Cary,Apex? From what I have read the schools are all pretty good. I have a 12 and 10 year old so I'm looking for a frinednly neighbor who is accepting of newcomers that will make us feel welcomed and my kids can make friends easy. I also would like to know which area is the most affordable for hosu Big? I am starting with renting to be sure we like it before buying. I will be coming in the next month or two to visit and hopefully decide the area. Also any advice on looking for a job prior to the move? I did discover the working in the triangle site which seems like it could be very helpful. This is just a huge change for my family but we need it and we want out of NJ and the area we live. I am looking for a place where not many drugs. I know it's everywhere but our area is getting bad and more unsafe each day.. Any feedback would help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
Any of the towns your suggested would fit the bill, as well as North Raleigh, Chapel Hill, etc. You don't state your budget or where you think you'll end up working, so it's tough to recommend further than that.

I've never heard of a major drug issue in any of those towns. As you said drugs are everywhere, but I don't think it's worse than average here.

The area is extremely transient so very accepting of newcomers.

Good idea on renting before buying - that's the way to go.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:16 AM

63 posts, read 60,549 times
I agree with the above poster that any of the towns you listed would be good choices. After living in NJ (Edison, Woodbridge, Piscataway, and Colonia) for 35 years my wife and I moved with our two young children to Raleigh in 2003. You will find the area very accepting. like Cary, where we live in N.Raleigh in the Wakefield Plantation development there are lots of folks here from the Northeast. You will love Raleigh for the climate, low taxes, affordable housing, and friendly people compared to NJ. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,735 times
Thanks for the feedback.. I'm not sure where I am going to work as I would need to find a job. I don't want to pay more then I do now for housing which is $1300. I am hoping to find a good job I have my BS in Business Administration and currently work as a Compliance Analyst for a large corporate medical management company. I am a single mom of 2 so I'm looking for an all around good area schools,safety and affordability.

Last edited by Srachelle; 01-10-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 04:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srachelle View Post
Thanks for the feedback.. I'm not sure where I am going to work as I would need to find a job. I don't want to pay more then I do now for housing which is $1300. I am hoping to find a good job I have my BS in Business Administration and currently work as a Compliance Analyst for a large corporate medical management company. I am a single mom of 2 so I'm looking for an all around good area schools,safety and affordability.
Try to find a job before you select a residence.

Public transit is skimpy here and you may wind up with an ugly commute if you relocate without knowing where you will work.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,580,152 times
good luck OP, I feel like holly springs is up and coming and I think a medical office build or two is opening in town. Sounds like a good place to take a chance since we are getting more docs with the growing population if you wanna go more small time. If you wanna work for a big corp, you will likely end up looking in RTP, Cary, Raleigh or North Raleigh. Cary or Morrisville would be closer to that target or inside the beltline.

I don't know currental rentals but I was looking at 1800 or so to live in the Cary area 8 years ago in a SFH 3-4beds and a garage etc.

There is plenty of transplant hate on the forums, but in real life we outnumber the locals

Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM

19,426 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Try to find a job before you select a residence.

Public transit is skimpy here and you may wind up with an ugly commute if you relocate without knowing where you will work.
A rare occurance, to be sure, but I'm in agreement with Capital Blvd.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,314,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
There is plenty of transplant hate on the forums, but in real life we outnumber the locals
I don't believe that either of these assertions is true.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 AM

3,301 posts, read 8,553,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah I agree. In fact I would venture to guess that half of the active posters here are transplants and everyone seems to get along quite well. Some people can be super sensitive I guess .

Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I agree. My grandson is part Irish (from grandma) and half Bubba (his mom is a native from Zebulon). Lots of native North Carolinians in her family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary