Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 9,538 times

Advertisements

So recently got my license (yay) last Thursday and all that good stuff.

What's the procedure if you want to buy a used car from someone on craigslist?

1. How do you know if the car is not stolen?
2. How do you know if the car doesn't have a lien on it?

But let's say I was buying the car in the morning. I have cash ready to pay for it...what all do I need as far as documentation to take to the dmv to register my vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 AM

63 posts, read 60,677 times
1. How do you know if the car is not stolen? If the seller has the title to the vehicle then that is proof it is not stolen. Also if you see that the sellers name and address on his/her license match the registration then it not stolen
2. How do you know if the car doesn't have a lien on it? at the time of the transaction it is expected that the seller give you the title. My understanding is that if the seller has the title then there is no lien on it. It is important to inspect the title to see if it is a salvage title. Be careful on Craigslist since many of those vehicles have salvage titles.

If this is your first time buying a car then I would suggest you either bring someone that has purchased from Craigslist before. Don't get me wrong, there are great deals on Craigslist and I use it all the time but there are also a lot of scammers. NEVER wire money or fall for the deal that is too good to be true deal on Craigslist where the seller claims they are out of the country and want you to wire a deposit.

The final transaction is best made in a public place, preferable at a bank or at the DMV. Cash exchanged for title and keys. good luck

Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros_dude View Post
But let's say I was buying the car in the morning.
Before you get to this step, make sure you have, as a condition of sale, that you can take the car to an independent mechanic of your choosing for an inspection.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:

But let's say I was buying the car in the morning. I have cash ready to pay for it...what all do I need as far as documentation to take to the dmv to register my vehicle.
The title. They need to have the title, and the title needs to match the guy selling it to you. If there is a lien on the title, then you need the lien release card, although I think in NC the banks hold the title as long as there is a lien on it.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
I'm assuming you didn't mean cash literally. We bought all our cars on CL in NC. On the first day, we checked out the car, left a deposit and signed a bill of sale with a seller (I bring it with me, can be found online, very simple document). Next day I got a certified check and we met at a bank to exchange the documents and get the signature notarized. Then I took the title to nearest license plate office (note that those are not the same places where you get a license here), paid what's needed and got a new plate. You could do this on the same day but this just wasn't feasible for us or sellers so far because we all worked.

Others have already explained about the title. Note if there are 2 or more owners listed then all of them need a notarized signature.

Trust your feelings. If something does not look right then bail out.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:52 PM

422 posts, read 523,894 times
I think it totally worth money to sign up for one of the online VIN-check services. Before you even go look at a car, get the VIN number and check it for history & and CARFAX report: accidents, flood damage, whether the title is "clear" as opposed to "savage. Once you decide to buy a vehicle, be sure to cross check the VIN number that you were given originally against both the title AND the physical VIN on the vehicle. Bait & switch can happen to a careless shopper. These services are by no mean perfect but they do offer some protection against outright scams (such as hurricane flooded cars that were salvaged). They cost ~$$40 - $50 for one month of unlimited access and are definitely well worth the money, IMHO. Especially if you are shopping on Craigslist. I'm not a vehicle owner in NC, but here's a site that lists "reviewed" sites: https://autotitlepros.com/north-carolina/title-search/. Or google "vehicle history north carolina". I see there are also some free sites that may be helpful, but possibly not as compete database-wise. Good luck

Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM

232 posts, read 553,280 times
Read this: North Carolina DMV Paperwork When Buying a Car | DMV.org

I second the advice to have an independent mechanic look the car over before you buy it. It's worth the money if you are serious about the car. My daughter and her husband bought a used car from a used car lot and didn't do this. They regretted it very quickly after purchase!

Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
The notarization of the title ensures the person selling the car is who is on the title. The seller is only required to do it - the buyer doesn't need to be present, although they generally are.

My rec is to do it at a bank so you can take the cash out and hand it to the person as they are signing the title. It's a very non-conflict place to do it in. Take the title to the DMV to register the car and get new plates.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Quote:

Simple you buy it from a licensed dealer and they have to sell it in good faith (meaning 1 and 2 are not an issue). Otherwise you are on your own to do a carfax or take that risk, kind of why it's less expensive private party.

As for what you need to register, best check on the DMV site it's very clear, title, damage and odometer and a signed bill of sale. And you have to insure the vehicle as well.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Simple you buy it from a licensed dealer and they have to sell it in good faith (meaning 1 and 2 are not an issue). Otherwise you are on your own to do a carfax or take that risk, kind of why it's less expensive private party.

As for what you need to register, best check on the DMV site it's very clear, title, damage and odometer and a signed bill of sale. And you have to insure the vehicle as well.
Bill of sale not required for private party. Depending on age damage and odometer reading also not required. But they are on the back of the title so no additional forms required, or at least I've never done any, and I used to buy and sell a decent amount.

OP: DMV will notarize but they charge you $15 last time I did it. What a rip off. Do it at your bank, they will do it for free, or at least most do (call first).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary