Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have lived here for almost 2 years and I have been sick more than I care to remember. I've already had 2 headcolds since the first of the year. I lived in TX for 20 years prior to moving here, and I got maybe one cold a year. Do you think that there are different "bugs" here in NC and now my body has to spend a couple of years getting acclimated to them? Do you think that maybe having 4 seasons here in NC while TX only had 2 (summer and not summer) has something to do with it? Perhaps the more frequent change in seasons is throwing my body's immune system off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Takes time to build immunity to different germs.

Some "colds" may be allergies. NC is allergy central.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,719 times
Coming from Mass, my entire family has been chasing one cold after another the first 3 months we lived here. It was brutal. However, after talking to my kids pediatrician, she told me this is completely normal. Most people relocating to a different region are being thrown out of their normal environment and into new allergens. Different plants and trees, different pollens, air quality. Different areas have different viruses, etc. If you never had allergies before you just might get them now.

Our immune system gets used to the same stuff we breathe in over a long period of time, so when you're a native of an area, it's not usually a big deal. But when you up and change your evironment, it takes your body awhile to adjust. I was told by the Dr that the first year is the worst year, but it might take a few to get fully acclimated.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:23 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i find that i catch a cold/sore throat because one day its wam the next cold. i think i will be ok with a jacket when i should have worn something heavier.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i find that i catch a cold/sore throat because one day its wam the next cold. i think i will be ok with a jacket when i should have worn something heavier.
Contrary to what your mother may have told you as a child, what you wear outside when its cold has nothing to do with whether you will catch a "cold" or not.....

Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
People get you sick, not weather.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM

403 posts, read 353,266 times
I have never been homesick since the minute I got here. I enjoyed my time in MA, but living here has been way beyond my expectations. When things are this good, you tend not to think about what you left. I can't think of one thing that was better there, than here.

This year has been very bad nationally with illness. It's not just an NC thing. They say it may last until May. Luckily, as an allergy sufferer myself, this area has really improved my allergy situation. It was like switching a light off when I moved down. I was so thankful for that.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife and I have lived here for almost 2 years and I have been sick more than I care to remember. I've already had 2 headcolds since the first of the year. I lived in TX for 20 years prior to moving here, and I got maybe one cold a year. Do you think that there are different "bugs" here in NC and now my body has to spend a couple of years getting acclimated to them? Do you think that maybe having 4 seasons here in NC while TX only had 2 (summer and not summer) has something to do with it? Perhaps the more frequent change in seasons is throwing my body's immune system off.
When I first moved to Atlanta 4 yrs. ago I had the flu twice the first winter. So sick I thought I would die. Since then I'm much healthier. I think it was the change from So. FL to a colder climate. I never took flu shots in So FL. I sure do now--every year. It will get easier.
I know that Austin has a huge problem with the "Cedar Fever" allergies. If you're living there, maybe that is the problem?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
Same for us. It took about 3 years to totally adjust.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I know that Austin has a huge problem with the "Cedar Fever" allergies. If you're living there, maybe that is the problem?
No. I live here in Raleigh now. I said that I rarely got sick when I lived in TX. Although to tell you the truth, I don't remember whether I got sick much during the first few years after I moved there. Now that I've moved here to Raleigh, I've had more than my share of colds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary