Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

I thought I would post this to network through the forum community here for some places that are looking for a volunteer.

Quick background on me. I'm a single father of a 15 year old boy and a 4 year old girl who recently died of brain cancer. My experience over the last 2 years in 4 different hospitals in 2 states gave me a whole new appreciation for the work that charities and volunteers offer. I was absolutely amazed by how much compassion and help people were willing to give to a complete stranger.

I'm at a point now where the grieving has tempered some and I figured it's a good time for me to get back out into the real world and help people the same way they did for my daughter.

I am open to different kinds of volunteer work. I was looking for something to help children with cancer but I'm not finding much in the area. My skill set is pretty broad. I work from home online so I have a lot of knowledge about running online businesses and I've previously owned a few brick and mortar businesses too.

I don't have a problem with general menial work. I think I just need to get out of the house and interact with people in a positive way.

What better way then volunteering?

I wouldn't mind roping my 15 year old son into doing some volunteer work too.

I don't mind volunteering for a church but I'm not really religious and if it's a very preachy church I probably wouldn't be a good fit.

So if anyone knows of a charity group or church group that needs an extra helping hand with things from time to time let me know. I'm in the Holly Springs area and my schedule is pretty flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
I am so so sorry about your daughter. I think it's wonderful that you are trying to turn your grief into a more positive act by volunteering. You'll also be teaching your son a great lesson on helping others.

I recently voted for a charity in something called the Triangle Tree Challenge, and the list of charities is still on their page: Vote Now | Triangle Christmas Tree

That might get you started. I'm not from the area and the only local charity I've checked out is one that rescues, fosters, and adopts out Labrador Retrievers: Peak Lab Rescue / Dog Rescue NC

I know that's not what you were looking for but you sound like you have the perfect environment for it and fostering would provide you with solace and companionship as well.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:28 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I would bet you could visit one of the continuing care communities and find lonely people to inspire.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I'm so sorry your daughter didn't make it. You can check out the Be Loud Sophie Foundation. It was founded by parents who lost their teen daughter to cancer to bring more of a teen experience to hospitals. It might be something your son as a teen would be interested in too.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 PM

260 posts, read 675,879 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathy to you and your son.

I volunteer at Snowflake Animal Rescue in North Raleigh (close to Crabtree Mall off Glenwood Avenue). I realize it's not the area you're interested in, but our cats who live at the main foster home in Raleigh could use the help of you and your son. We need people during the week and weekends. You are giving them attention, doing light sweeping, scooping litter and changing water. Volunteer Opportunities | Snowflake Animal Rescue

Old 01-23-2017, 11:24 AM

39 posts, read 47,655 times
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. If you're looking to work with sick children and their families, look into the Ronald McDonald houses at Duke and WakeMed. Boys and Girls clubs and the YMCA may be close to you and have volunteer opportunities available as well

Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM

79 posts, read 142,892 times
I am so sorry for your loss. It's definitely very cool that you are looking into volunteering at this point. I have a few suggestions for you.

Activate Good - They are hooked in with a ton of local non-profit organizations, and you can search for what you may be looking for by category. This may be the best "umbrella" resource around.

Others that I've had a good experience with....
Note in the Pocket - They provide clothing to impoverished and homeless children in Wake County. The woman who runs this is phenomenal and does so much for local children.

Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC - You can help sort and box foods, and it'd be a great activity for a teenager.

Stop Hunger Now - Prepare meals for impoverished families. They provide a fun environment, and share a lot of good info about the problem of Hunger in the world and what you are doing to help.

Brown Bag Ministry - Prepare brown bag lunches for local families in need. You can go deliver to the families if you choose. They deliver to many of the same people each week, so they are friendly encounters. I took my 8-year-old son to both activities last month. This group is doing great things, and it made a very positive impact on my son.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary