Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 8,565 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I know there are already a lot of relocating-to-Raleigh posts, so thank you for tolerating another one!

We're a family of 5 (3 kids under 10, 2 grown-ups) looking to move to Raleigh in the spring/summer. We currently live in the Pacific Northwest, so we're pretty used to walking, biking, and public transportation for 90% of our getting around. My understanding is that this just isn't feasible in Raleigh-proper; so, we're wondering about some of the suburbs. Since we're probably going to have to drive to our jobs, we'd at least like to live somewhere where our kids can get outside to play after school and we can take family bike rides on the weekends.

Ideally, we'd like to be within a 30 minutes drive to NCSU; have access to good schools for the kids; live in a diverse area (or at least amongst people who won't care if we're a bit unconventional); and not pay through the nose for rent for a year or two before we buy (say, $1500/month). Possible?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:44 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
If you live inside of the 440/40 circle, you can find pockets of the walking/biking/public transportation that you're looking for. I'm guessing though with a family of 5 that finding a rental of your budget could potentially be a problem though for this area.

Raleigh has a fantastic greenway system so I would recommend living in a neighborhood near access to the greenway if you want to go on family bike rides on the weekends. There are maps here of the different bike routes in the area: http://bikeraleigh.org/home/index.php/maps
Here are some maps of bike routes/greenways in Cary: http://www.townofcary.org/recreation...ment/greenways

Last edited by pierretong1991; 01-14-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 PM

That's great information--thank you!

Old 01-14-2017, 03:12 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'm in agreement with Pierretong - especially about the greenway system.

I think if you lower your expectations on pubic transportation, you will be much happier. Chapel Hill has a decent public transportation system, but won't meet your commute or budget needs.

Welcome.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:57 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Not sure you're going to find $1500/month rent anywhere for a family of 5 around here, but if you can live without public transportation you'll have access to greenways in most parts of the triangle. As for being "unconventional" - no one cares. You'll be happily accepted - this is a transplant-heavy area and we are used to new people coming in all the time, and the same is true of kids in the schools. I'm sure coming from the PNW will be an adjustment but you don't have to worry about being accepted here.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It will be possible to find a house, but $1500/4 bedrooms limits the choices significantly.
It will be more productive to search by price and bedroom count, and then to decide if the subdivision and location are good.

Rentals at that price will be in a very fast market, and you will need to be decisive when you see something that may work for you.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I think you'll have to pick one or the other as far as a rental under $1500 and being in a dense/walkable area. Incidentally my mom and stepdad just sold their 1700 so foot, 3 bd house walking distance to downtown Apex and it is currently being rented out for about $1600 (which is a VERY) good deal.

Public transportation is pretty non-existent or non-extensive in the Triangle with the exception of Chapel Hill's bus system. Chapel Hill would be a crap commute to SW Raleigh and also out of the budget though.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I think you'll have to pick one or the other as far as a rental under $1500 and being in a dense/walkable area. Incidentally my mom and stepdad just sold their 1700 so foot, 3 bd house walking distance to downtown Apex and it is currently being rented out for about $1600 (which is a VERY) good deal.

Public transportation is pretty non-existent or non-extensive in the Triangle with the exception of Chapel Hill's bus system. Chapel Hill would be a crap commute to SW Raleigh and also out of the budget though.
Actually, there are a few workable offerings.
Getting schools, location, walkable are possible.

The house? Might not be a long-term desirable home, but for getting a toehold into the area, there may be more options that will suffice than we realize.
But, gotta pounce when they are found.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:41 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
You can have most of that in the Cameron Village area (and others,) but budget is going to be the sticking point.

Public transport is better close to NCSU. You can find a big enough place in your budget in that area too. That way, whoever works at state could bike/take the bus. Look in the 27606 zip code area.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:58 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses! I really appreciate it.

From what I'm reading, $1500 is low for housing anywhere in the area, not just Raleigh-proper, is that correct?

If I clarify that we're NOT in the market for a 4 bedroom house, does that make a difference?

Right now, we're living in a 2-bedroom/1 bath, 1000 sq. ft. place, and while we would like one more bedroom and a few more square feet, we're good with something cozy.

And thanks, again. It's so hard to get a sense of these things from a couple thousand miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary