Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 PM

36 posts, read 37,407 times

Advertisements

umm wake just because its hopefully changed to neighborhood schools
look at it like this wake county used to have this
if you lived in a shack in some nasty area of raleigh you can go to school in the areas where people have had to experience an education and pay for their homes valued at 300k plus
this does not mean people do no want education from their from just as the old saying goes "you get what what you pay for"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Right now Johnston Schools are in a state of "flux." They have moved 80% of the special education students into the general ed classrooms at the middle and high school levels. This has greatly increased the classroom size (many near 30 students) and created some instability--at least temporarily. Until the county can figure out how to provide education in the classroom with 5-7 EC students -- who have been in resource rooms with one teacher and an aide and less than 10 students in the room -- and suddenly find themselves in a room with 30 students and NO individual or small group instruction or modified lesson / instruction....

Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Right now Johnston Schools are in a state of "flux." They have moved 80% of the special education students into the general ed classrooms at the middle and high school levels. This has greatly increased the classroom size (many near 30 students) and created some instability--at least temporarily. Until the county can figure out how to provide education in the classroom with 5-7 EC students -- who have been in resource rooms with one teacher and an aide and less than 10 students in the room -- and suddenly find themselves in a room with 30 students and NO individual or small group instruction or modified lesson / instruction....
While always difficult in this budget environment the transition will be even greater. However if the OP has children who are Special Ed they may want main streaming or if their kids are in above average placements it probably won't impact them much. The OP needs to do her homework with her kids in mind as most of us will make suggestions with our kids in mind.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Interesting that the thread was from 2008 and here we are in 2010 and still asking the same questions!

I've lived in Wake County for quite a few years and have sent 4 kids through Wake County Schools. We lived in parts of town that were not redistricted. Yes, they do exsist. I've been happy with Wake County Schools. My youngest is a senior in HS.

However, Johnston County Schools have improved tremendously in the last 6 years and I would not hestiate to send my kids there.

Do your research, check out the scores and then visit the schools.

Vicki

Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Vicky, school comparison questions will be asked for ever without universal agreement. Even at the best of the best schools 25% of the kids will be in the lowest quartile and you can bet some of their parents will not be enthralled. Even at below average schools the top 10% at least will find joy. At the worse schools oh well if your kid didn't get suspended you might, just might tolerate it.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
Default Johston County Ranked higher than Wake

I did extensive research before moving to Johnston County from Wake when my daughter was born wanting the best for her education. Wake seemed to be a mess even though apparently the schools were good. After much research I found the state rankings and Johnston in 2009 and prior ranked 14th in the state, county wise, and Wake ranked 21st.. Clayton High in Johnston is one of the top academic programs in the state and ranked that way as well...and West Johnston has probably the best music program. Their marching band was chosen to march in the Macy's day parade 2 years a go and this past year 2010 they were chosen to march in Walt Disney World's new year's day parade which was publicized on the Disney Channel. They are doing amazing things there.

Wake County is over publicized and just because they are always the news of the day does not mean they are the best. It is a troubled school system and is over crowded, but indeed is an excellent school system. However Johnston is definitely better in rankings and parents out here rave about their child's experience. My little girl is only 3, but I am thrilled about our choice and relieved to be here in Johnston County and out of Wake. In my opinion based on what I know and have studied Wake is over rated.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 AM

21 posts, read 60,261 times
I agree with Vicki, it is funny that the original post was in 2008 and we are still talking about it... Oh, and I'm still FREEZING in NH!!!! :-)

Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
While always difficult in this budget environment the transition will be even greater. However if the OP has children who are Special Ed they may want main streaming or if their kids are in above average placements it probably won't impact them much. The OP needs to do her homework with her kids in mind as most of us will make suggestions with our kids in mind.
Mainstreaming without support is a questionable placement and having these students in a classroom of 30 may not be productive to anyone. The only way to avoid SpEd mainstream students would be in the AIG setting, otherwise at the middle and high school level the SpEd kids have been disbursed to all gen ed settings...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 02-23-2011 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary