Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times

Advertisements

http://www.dpsnc.net/site/default.as...=2162&PageID=1

what does this portend

the subtext i'm getting is they're casting a critical eye at the racial disparities in schools could they be moving into a forced busing scheme?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:58 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
All of the building going on in RTP is in Durham county (Hopson and Davis), won't they all be assigned to Durham Schools? Plus there is quite of bit of building along 147.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
http://www.dpsnc.net/site/default.as...=2162&PageID=1

what does this portend

the subtext i'm getting is they're casting a critical eye at the racial disparities in schools could they be moving into a forced busing scheme?
The district is only ~18% white IIRC, and by and large the white students are not in critical masses at particular schools (with a few exceptions), so I'm not sure how that would be possible really. The bigger issue seems to be that some schools are above capacity and others are under.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
Quote:
This school year, 11 schools are below that threshold while nine are beyond 105 percent of building capacity.
How does this even happen? (Outside of SimCity, that is.)

Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
How does this even happen? (Outside of SimCity, that is.)
Some is natural based on population, but much is likely due to Charter Schools "stealing" enrollment (and money) from DPS schools in certain areas, especially at the Middle School level. Others are opting out for private, also heavily at the Middle School level - Middle school has always been the weakest link for DPS.

The choice aspect of DPS also plays in - ex. students wanting the Engineering pathway at Riverside can opt in from other zoned schools, so it pushes their enrollments up. Easley has a lottery and a zoned area - lottery is held before all the zoned students enroll, so that can easily end up over capacity if they misjudge how many students will come in via the zone. The Magnet programs tend to draw students who are looking to avoid their base schools (as much as they draw students wanting the particular program offered at the magnet) so that further sucks away students from their base schools, and then those fall under capacity.

Creekside is in SW Durham where there's been a lot of population growth over the years, so that's gotten crowded. And then other schools that get a bad rep and can't shake them have people with school aged children either moving to other places or opting out of the zone in favor of a private, magnet or charter, which leads to underenrolled schools.

Last edited by jill7930; 02-03-2017 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-03-2017, 08:09 AM

In retrospect dps schools are probably a mess and if done right it can be a big win if done wrong it could wreck appeal for families

Challenging indeed

Old 02-03-2017, 10:46 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,259,370 times
There is a lot of construction in the southern part of the county. And I think a middle school (maybe elementary too) is slated for construction on Scott King Road. Need to move the kids around for this. In Wake County it happens every year.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
There is a lot of construction in the southern part of the county. And I think a middle school (maybe elementary too) is slated for construction on Scott King Road. Need to move the kids around for this. In Wake County it happens every year.
No. This is not like in Wake. They are not building new schools on Scott King. A bunch of DPS schools are under capacity. Hence the redistricting. To try and move kids from the overcrowded schools into the ones that are way under capacity. No sense building new schools when the ones they have are not being filled.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
No. This is not like in Wake. They are not building new schools on Scott King. A bunch of DPS schools are under capacity. Hence the redistricting. To try and move kids from the overcrowded schools into the ones that are way under capacity. No sense building new schools when the ones they have are not being filled.
durham has some incredibly challenged schools tho, if they are sort of wink wink about this i forsee problems

Old 02-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
durham has some incredibly challenged schools tho, if they are sort of wink wink about this i forsee problems
Totally. I have one kid starting Middle and one starting High school the year the changes go into effect so trust me, I'm incredibly anxious about proposed changes. I'm also a big proponent of DPS and hope for the sake of the system that this is done in a way that won't further alienate people from the system. That will benefit no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary