Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,531 times

Advertisements

Alright recently licensed and just got my car. I live in Clayton and so far my first week has been....satisfactory. I'm alive

That being said, I need to get to Raleigh around Glenwood avenue to head to Crabtree to look for something for a party.

My mom is nervous because she is worried about me and 40 and how busy it is. I am nervous too of course but I need to get to the mall and more importantly, I eventually need to know how to drive on busy places. I've driven on I-95 to Wilson and rocky mount and that was pretty fast.

Still, to appease her, is there any way to get to crabtree from Clayton while avoiding highways as much as possible?

I pretty much discovered I can ride 70 from clayton through Garner to get to downtown Raleigh when I go out on the weekends.

Can 70 get me there? What are some back roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM

347 posts, read 522,066 times
There's an option in google maps for avoiding highways. That's probably your best bet.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:25 PM

430 posts, read 626,567 times
If you put your start and destination in Google Maps you can click on your route and drag it around to find alternatives to Rte 40.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:49 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Glenwood is also route 70 past 440. If you can get to downtown, you can then get to capital blvd, get off on Wade to glenwood. Or three other ways I could think of. Shouldn't be an issue using google.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:24 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
If you just stay on 70 through downtown Raleigh you can get right to the Crabtree Valley Mall. 70 turns into S. Saunders street (when it merges with 401). Then you follow McDowell street through downtown Raleigh. McDowell turns into Capital Blvd (401) so you will need to bear left onto Wade and follow the signs for 70 West. 70 is Glenwood avenue so you stay on that all the way to the mall!
My daughter got her licence last year and I was always nervous about her driving to the Mall. Getting there isn't the hardest part - it's parking once you are there! I recommend taking the left onto Blue Ridge Road and parking in one of the garages back there. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,848 times
I believe statistically freeways are actually safer. Personally, I never understood why some people are ok with local roads but scared of the freeways. Everyone goes in the same direction, exits are marked, just go with the flow. Easy peasy. On the local streets you never know when some crazy person will jump out of a plaza, lanes suddenly become turn only with little warning, intersections not marked, so someone suddenly brakes in front of you because they just noticed it's their turn. Yikes.

Agree that parking at Crabtree might be worse than the whole trip. I'm much older and the whole Crabtree area gives me the hibby jibbies.

You should be perfectly fine on 40 IMHO unless you go during rush hour. And you need to learn to drive on different roads anyway. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
As a newly minted driver it's great that you're asking this and trying to figure things out before you get behind the wheel.

70 should get you there more or less. Study google maps before you get in the car — no looking at your phone in the car!!

https://goo.gl/maps/m9bY6J7c1uJ2

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Highway 70 will indeed take you directly there. and only 3 "turns" - including the turn into Crabtree. All should have signage.

When you come out of the heart of downtown Raleigh, you won't bear LEFT onto Wade Avenue. It's an exit to the RIGHT (+/- 1/4 mile after Peace St exit) that then "flys over" Capital Blvd. look at this intersection on satellite view.

As soon that exit is to rejoin the through-traffic, you have to get off on the right, to Highway 70/Glenwood. Sometimes, with cars merging from Capital from the opposite direction (southbound), it can be a little dicey to get into the right lane.

When you see the Beltline, go ahead and get in the left 2 lanes. Take the first left, Blue Ridge Rd, as from there you have access to all parking. A LOT of people (presumably unknowing) will wait FOREVER to turn into what's considered the main entrance - 2nd floor at PF Chang's. That's a bad thing to do.

as far as navigating the actual parking at Crabtree, you're own your own. Be cautious.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times
Waze also has a feature to avoid highways.

My personal opinion would be to avoid the highways until you are ready and have practiced on them off-peak hours. I am an experienced driver and have never been as uncomfortable as I am on the roads here.

Back roads require more attention as there is a lot of stop and go, so be vigilant, leave adequate distance between you and the car in front, and don't worry too much, you should be ok. The prior advice on the turns is quite helpful.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:54 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
The mall area is ugly with way too many lanes.

Try to come at a quiet time your first trip there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary