Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

We moved to Cary from TX in September and we live in an apt complex with lots of pine straw around the building worked in to the landscaping. We have a freaking million smokey brown flying cockroaches in our apartment. We've been told by management that although they can spray and have pest control come out, it's basically just part of living in this part of NC. I can't wrap my head around this. They climb the walls, are in the tub, in the shower curtain, fly from one bedroom window to the other, in the laundry room, baby ones all over the kitchen counters, it's disgusting. We're on the second floor and it's nothing to spray our balcony railing and find 6 or 7 dead roaches the next morning. We have to keep ALL our food that isn't canned in our refrigerator. And it's now the end of January and we haven't seen so many of them in the colder temps but I picked up my vegetable brush in the kitchen to brush clean some mushrooms for dinner and the bristles of the brush had 3 baby roaches crawling around in it. I can't stop freaking out about this whole business. Pest control company says there is no infestation and that it's just part of living in an area with lots of trees and pine straw.

Is this TRUE? I mean, I'm originally from Florida and have seen my share of warm, humid climate bugs but this is giving me nightmares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I would be outta there YESTERDAY.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM

70 posts, read 162,107 times
No. Not normal. Lived in several apartments and getting one or 2 at most during the summer is not unusual but haven't seen baby ones, especially in January.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:06 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,196 times
No. A million times no. A few roaches, yes, but this sounds like an infestation. Call a different pest company.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,436 times
Our lease is up in Aug/Sept. Meanwhile, I drive through neighborhoods all over Cary and see PLENTY of homes with tons of trees, leaves, pine straw, etc all over their yards and I'm asking myself if they also battle these things like I do. I never thought twice about what was used in landscaping beds, etc but now I make a point. Are you all dealing with this?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
You shouldn't have this problem in January, even if you have leaves, pine straw and stuff all over the place. The APT complex probably didn't have anyone come at all. You have to stay here til Aug/Sept so that's still a while away. I would call a good pest control company (that you'll have to pay separately) and let them take care of it. Maybe Stomp, Custom pest control or Swift.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
It is absolutely positively NOT normal. I've lived in the Triangle for 12 years now ... two apartments and a townhome, pine straw in landscaping beds ... and I've NEVER experienced what you are describing.

I'm not certain that the pine straw has anything to do with your infestation (more than likely, it's neighbors who leave trash and food laying around), but depending on the exterior of your building, the pine straw may actually be illegal.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
OMG! Get out of there.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 PM

273 posts, read 562,596 times
Are you positive they are the smokey brown and not the Germans? I have had both and the Germans were all over. It was disgusting. The smokey brown were only visible once in a while. So what you are experiencing is not normal.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:18 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Reason # 24 why I love California. No bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary