Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times

Advertisements

T-Mobile (and others)....check here These people have a great reputation.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Beyond securing the connection with a VPN, there aren't many secure options regardless of where you're connecting from. Has your company installed a dedicated line in your home? Or, do they use IP filtering?
Dedicated line.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:15 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Another vote for Frontier.

With hotels, you would need to find out which hotels offer tiered wifi ... there's usually a free level of wifi that is often throttled and can run slow depending on demand at any given time. Then there's a higher level that allows VPN connectivity. But it usually runs $5-10/ day (unless you're a premier loyalty member).

Frontier is free, and you can drop in as needed. and it's probably more comfortable and conducive to working a full day than a hotel room is.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 AM

23 posts, read 23,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Another vote for Frontier.
Frontier really sounds too good to be true. They'd really have no problems with me showing up from open to close for an entire week?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM

23 posts, read 23,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Has your company installed a dedicated line in your home? Or, do they use IP filtering?
My company provided a SOHO router that's basically an "always on VPN" that piggybacks off my home internet connection. So I just hardwire into that directly to avoid having to connect via VPN software every day.

But I'm still able to use the VPN software to connect when I'm on the road.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Frontier really sounds too good to be true. They'd really have no problems with me showing up from open to close for an entire week?
Work Here - The Research Triangle Park

Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
In my experience travelling for business, I find that the Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, a few others) actually have better internet than some more upscale chains, including Marriott properties.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Check out the Marriott courtyards - I've never had any issues working from one. Definitely use your vpn. I also second the library or Panera has been accommodating as long as you keep drinking coffee.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:14 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
With hotels, you would need to find out which hotels offer tiered wifi ... there's usually a free level of wifi that is often throttled and can run slow depending on demand at any given time. Then there's a higher level that allows VPN connectivity. But it usually runs $5-10/ day (unless you're a premier loyalty member).
If you are going to have to spend money, is an air card an option? You would not have to use a VPN connection, unless you wanted to. I just checked on fast.com, and my air card is getting just under 10Mbps, which should be OK for most business applications.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
You can add a Verizon jetpack/mifi to your account for ~10 dollars/month. As long as you don't use a ton of data then that's a good option. You can even get pre-paid hotspot devices, https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/go...e-hotspot.html

Other than that, I've worked from many coffee shops and panera-bread type places for whole days, without a problem. Heck I've even done a small amount of work from a hotel in the Dominican Repulic! 90% of modern VPNs implement end-to-end encryption, so it's plenty safe from a security standpoint. As long as you're not using a ton of bandwidth, it shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary