Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 954 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm working on a project at Duke and was wondering if there are any Dari speakers in the area willing to help me communicate with a refugee family? It's been difficult only communicating by text messaging and translating it (poorly) through Google Translate. If you know someone who can help, let me know! I would, of course, provide some sort of compensation for an hour or two of your (or their) time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
There are translation services available via telephone (and probably skype) for a fee, of course. Google it.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
From what little I know, Dari is very similar to Farsi (like British English is similar to American English). That may give you some other outlets.

I'd suggest contacting the Persian restaurants in the area (all of the afghani restaurants have closed) and the local mosques. These resources might be helpful:

https://fll.chass.ncsu.edu/persian/

http://www.ncmilitary.org/content/pi...north-carolina

Old 01-31-2017, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,788 times
Since it is a project at Duke, send an email to the International House (not International Office) at Duke. Most international students subscribe to its listserv. That will help get you in touch with the Afghan students at Duke.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 954 times
Thanks, all, for sharing some options considering my inability to pay for interpreting services. I've contacted IH and a number of refugee and religious services to see if they can help. I appreciate the support!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:27 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by candosure View Post
Hi all,

I'm working on a project at Duke and was wondering if there are any Dari speakers in the area willing to help me communicate with a refugee family? It's been difficult only communicating by text messaging and translating it (poorly) through Google Translate. If you know someone who can help, let me know! I would, of course, provide some sort of compensation for an hour or two of your (or their) time.

Thanks!
Somebody helped place that family where they are. That agency likely had some way of communicating with the family, if the family only speaks Dari. That's one possibility to look into.

The other possibility is through United Way or their counterpart - they might maintain a list of translators or people who can fill in in a pinch. The plus is that United Way is non-profit - they likely won't charge for the referral nor the service, if the translator is on their staff.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 PM

644 posts, read 842,432 times
Depending on where in Afghanistan they are from, they may speak Urdu/Hindi as well. If that is the case, there are plenty of folks in the area that speak it. You can ping me too, as I speak Urdu/Hindi

PS does the person have to be local? If not, I know a person or two that speak Dari.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: