Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 07:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,107,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
That's a weird definition of 'supermarket' that I've never encountered before. They certainly seem to count as supermarkets by the wikipedia definition; could you please post a link to some kind of industry document with your specific definition?

It depends solely on the definition one chooses for supermarket. Market research institutes often use narrower definitions for supermarkets to distinguish between different kinds of grocery stores.

It's surely not wrong to call Aldi and Lidl supermarkets but it makes more sense to call them discount grocery stores or more technically limited assortment grocery stores. In Germany we also differenciate between "Supermarkt" and "Discounter". The most important difference, supermarkets have always meat, sausages and cheese service counter. Those are the centerpieces of every supermarket.

But more importantly how to clasify them is to know that stores like Aldi and Lidl compete with all other kinds of grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 07:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,107,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Maybe this is just a regional variation thing, but that is most certainly not a universally-recognised definition of a supermarket. I agree that most American supermarkets do have those things, but many British ones don't.

I know that the U.S. and the UK use the term supermarket in a different way. The British term supermarket is more congruent with the U.S. term grocery store. As far as I know the term grocery store is quite uncommon in the UK. In Germany we do have a translation for the term grocery store (Lebensmittelgeschäft). But this term is very dated and was normally used for tiny mom-and-pop food stores.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM

487 posts, read 889,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I know that the U.S. and the UK use the term supermarket in a different way. The British term supermarket is more congruent with the U.S. term grocery store. As far as I know the term grocery store is quite uncommon in the UK. In Germany we do have a translation for the term grocery store (Lebensmittelgeschäft). But this term is very dated and was normally used for tiny mom-and-pop food stores.
Right, in the UK the term 'grocery store' would sound somewhat quaint and dated, like a lot of American speech.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,228,596 times
That's okay CHwboy, a lot of British English sounds quaint and dated to American ears, too. Two nations separated by a common language and all.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 PM

487 posts, read 889,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's okay CHwboy, a lot of British English sounds quaint and dated to American ears, too. Two nations separated by a common language and all.
Agreed! I've heard it said that the UK and the US have a somewhat unique relationship in that each considers the other quaint and traditional.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 12,986 times
UK and US shopping is very different. IMO Aldi in Europe is much nicer than their US stores. I lived in Europe and I only shopped at Lidl. I am beyond excited for them to mix things up a bit and offer a change in the market. TJ is a very similar concept with private label, but you can't do a full shop in their stores.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,228,596 times
You can do a full shop in TJs. I do it frequently. TJs and Weaver Street Market in Carrboro are my go to stores. I shop at Harris Teeter for a few items every once in awhile.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:16 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,802,807 times
I noticed today that they're installing a new traffic light signal on Wake Forrest Road in front of McDonald's where this new store is being built. It's long overdue in my opinion, but will also add to more traffic delays.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:43 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,693,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I noticed today that they're installing a new traffic light signal on Wake Forrest Road in front of McDonald's where this new store is being built. It's long overdue in my opinion, but will also add to more traffic delays.
That entire stretch is such a cluster. A light there is great but I don't know if it really helps the traffic situation at all.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,464,675 times
I was browsing another forum and they were talking about Lidl's expansion in the United States. Someone on that board posted a link to this article from Daily Mail and came back with the impression that they didn't know what they're doing.

The stores were described as being a mix between Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter, even though it leans moreso toward the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary