Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

That's okay jerkface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 01:49 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel408 View Post
Very interesting about The Pit. I checked their website and it says the barbecue is pit-cooked but doesn't mention wood. It's inexcusable to have "authentic barbecue" in your name if you don't cook over wood. Of course it's pretty silly and try-hard to have "authentic" in your name anyways.

I'll check out Mitchell's new place and hope that it lasts longer than some of his other ventures. Any idea why Que closed?
From what I understand he was space constrained and didn't have enough room to cook but a pig a day and he'd regularly run out of barbeque early on in service, thus not generating enough to make ends meet in that location. I've heard from more than a few people that Ed's a better pitmaster than he is a businessman and that if he'd have been smart he would have stayed hooked into Empire Eats who basically just wanted him to be the face of The Pit. But Ed wanted to market himself more than the restaurant and that's all she wrote there.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
From what I understand he was space constrained and didn't have enough room to cook but a pig a day and he'd regularly run out of barbeque early on in service, thus not generating enough to make ends meet in that location. I've heard from more than a few people that Ed's a better pitmaster than he is a businessman and that if he'd have been smart he would have stayed hooked into Empire Eats who basically just wanted him to be the face of The Pit. But Ed wanted to market himself more than the restaurant and that's all she wrote there.
One thing for sure...the man knows how to make barbecue. I hope he'll find a good spot and do like his daddy did making good barbecue while keeping the menu simple.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 10,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
One thing for sure...the man knows how to make barbecue. I hope he'll find a good spot and do like his daddy did making good barbecue while keeping the menu simple.
I'm surprised he uses charcoal. I'll still eat his food but not as much as I would otherwise.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Agree with those that say Eastern & Smokey are the two NC BBQ types haha

I had the fun of sitting with a California lady on a flight to RDU a few days ago that asked me about
local places to eat . Explained to her about NC BBQ, the styles , the rivalry and how
in NC, BBQ was not a verb.

For a complete dive that has the best eastern BBQ & southern cooking around try
Backyard BBQ Pitt at 5122 Highway 55 (near Highway 54). They may have a North Durham location but I have never been there. The mac-cheese is pure heaven.

They have won BBQ awards and were featured in a Travel Channel's Man vs Food episode but I can't find that link.
Here is a link about how they cook & prepare the BBQ.

http-//www.travelchannel.com/shows/carnivore-chronicles/video/durham-s-succulent-pork

Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 PM

14 posts, read 10,380 times
Backyard has been a solid addition to our area's barbecue scene. They have a few sauces and only use shoulders, so certainly not the prototypical ENC joint. Of course most of the places in the middle of the state that people call Eastern use only shoulders. Byrd's, Bullock's, Clyde Cooper's, Nunnery-Freeman, Skipper Forsyth's, Hursey's, Allen, and Stephenson's, not to mention most of the places in Fayetteville and Lumberton. Hell, even Smithfield's uses only shoulders! Whole hog cooking really is centered around half a dozen towns in central ENC.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
"both styles" smh

Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Agree with those that say Eastern & Smokey are the two NC BBQ types haha
This is more accurate.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:48 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is more accurate.
Yeah, I should have referenced "Eastern and Vinegar" as "both kinds."
My error...

Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
Backyard BBQ is excellent.

Had a pulled/shredded brisket sandwich at the blistered Pig in Apex a couple of months ago. Was unique and pretty enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary