Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM

36 posts, read 147,872 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are expecting to move to the area some time this summer. He is an excellent golfer and I'm ready to learn. We have looked at three courses south of Raleigh - Devil's Ridge, Bentwinds & Crooked Creek. Anyone have any info on these re: cost of membership, ease of joining, type of folks who are members, etc. We are seriously considering buying in the Holly Springs area, thus our focus on these courses. Are there any other private, semi-private and public courses within a 30 minute drive that we should also consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM

229 posts, read 1,053,494 times
Default Wake County Golf Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcny View Post
My husband and I are expecting to move to the area some time this summer. He is an excellent golfer and I'm ready to learn. We have looked at three courses south of Raleigh - Devil's Ridge, Bentwinds & Crooked Creek. Anyone have any info on these re: cost of membership, ease of joining, type of folks who are members, etc. We are seriously considering buying in the Holly Springs area, thus our focus on these courses. Are there any other private, semi-private and public courses within a 30 minute drive that we should also consider?
You are in business.........

The Triangle is a true golfer's dream. The seasonal splendors that unfold on the courses add to the beauty of the perfect golf shot, or the elusive birdie. You will find the public and semiprivate clubs to be as challenging as the private courses. Except for an occasional hurricane or deep winter freeze, golf in the Triangle is virtually year round. Here you will find details of some of the top courses in the Triangle starting with the big courses in Cary.

Prestonwood Country Club-Cary, North Carolina

I am a member of Prestonwood in Cary. It's a beautiful course and well maintained. The club was even rated #1 in the Triangle in 2006. However, if you like to walk the 18 holes, you will be limited in your selection of courses – call ahead if you are an avid walker who refuses to ride. Certain restrictions often apply to the busiest days of the week.

Green fees are reasonable compared to other North Carolina metropolitan areas, coastal resort courses or the famed Pinehurst. While you will find weekday discounts, fees are typically elevated on Fridays, though lower than the weekend rates.

For more information on the neighborhood view the neighborhood profile here.

MacGregor Downs Country Club - Cary, North Carolina

MacGregor Downs Golf Course was designed and built with a Scottish Heritage in the 1960s. Recently the club has undergone a major makeover which includes updates to the 18 hole course and club. The club renovations are completed with the kiddie pool splash zone addition ready for the Spring '08.
For more information on the neighborhood view the MacGregor Downs neigbhorhood profile here.

Newer golf courses have joined the list of options. In fact, golf course communities are becoming quite popular in the Triangle area. Devil's Ridge in Holly Springs and The Neuse Golf Club in Clayton, designed by John LaFoy, are two such courses built around housing developments that opened in 1991 and 1994 respectively. Golf Digest recognized both as top new courses in the ’90s.

The well-known golf course community of Wakefield Plantation, just north of the city, offers 2,200 acres of gorgeous North Carolina countryside to golf lovers. This all-inclusive area gives residents plenty of reason to relax and call the community home with world-class golf, swimming, tennis, and plenty of clubhouse activities for adults and families alike. Finley, at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which opened in 1950 and was designed by George Cobb, underwent a facelift recently under the direction of Tom Fazio.

Wakefield Plantation

Crooked Creek in Fuquay-Varina is another newcomer to the selection of courses. Opened in late 1995, it offers golfers a traditional design by Chuck Smith. As the name implies, you will find several holes that will test your skill with severe doglegs. And as soon as you are certain that you have mastered your precision, scattered bunkers will grade your approach shot.

Considered one of the most popular golf courses in North Carolina, Hillandale Golf Course in Durham plays more than 50,000 rounds per year. Opened in the early 1900s, this course was redesigned by Perry Maxwell – a former banker who rebuilt the putting surfaces of August National, Pine Valley and the National Golf Links. The golf shop at Hillandale was voted the "Nation's Most Outstanding" by the PGA of America. It is one of the best-stocked and largest shops in North Carolina.

Looking for a little family tradition with your round of golf? You will find it at Duke University's course. Washington Duke Golf and Country Club in Durham, considered one of the finest in the Southeast, opened in 1957. Rees Jones redesigned this Robert Trent Jones original in 1993. Cut out of Duke Forest, the grounds are ablaze with color at peak season. Spend the night at the inn adjacent to the course to soak in the splendor around you. This weekend retreat will confirm your relocation plans to the Triangle area.

Another local favorite is the Tom Fazio Golf Course located in North Durham at Treyburn Country Club. Sculpted into the rolling hills of northern Durham, Treyburn is currently ranked as the #9 golf course in North Carolina and #1 in the Triangle area. The course's unique design and blend of community life has been rewarded with the recognition as one of the top 100 golf/residential communities in America.

One of the most difficult golf courses in the area is located at Governor's Club in Chapel Hill. This golf course, established in 1988, has 27 holes of punishing golf. This course, designed by Jack Nicholas, has endless sandtraps so beware!!

Brier Creek

The latest golf course to join the ranks is Brier Creek Country Club. Opened in 2001 the 18-hole Arnold Palmer Signature golf course has moved into the top 40 of North Carolina Magazine’s list of the best courses in the state.

Another golf course realty opportunity that we recommend is Hasentree, which is just minutes from I-540 and Raleigh itself and will be opening in 2008. Located near Falls Lake Park, Hasentree itself is big on open space. Whether you enjoy exceptional golf on the Tom Fazio-designed course or fishing for bluegill, Hasentree offers it, while still offering the amenities of Raleigh right nearby.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM

229 posts, read 1,053,494 times
By the way - Devils Ridge is a fabulous golf course and a thriving young community.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 PM

188 posts, read 747,851 times
Based on the three that you mentioned, Devil's Ridge is the pick. It is private and by inviation only, but inquire and tell them you are new to the are and they will work with you. Fantastic course and cllub. It is significantly less of a cost than the coutry clubs mentioned in the posts following the original, although if you are in the market for the CC experience, they are all good choices. There are a few other to also consider if you are in the high end country club market.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcp View Post
Based on the three that you mentioned, Devil's Ridge is the pick. It is private and by inviation only, but inquire and tell them you are new to the are and they will work with you. Fantastic course and cllub. It is significantly less of a cost than the coutry clubs mentioned in the posts following the original, although if you are in the market for the CC experience, they are all good choices. There are a few other to also consider if you are in the high end country club market.
Thanks, rbcp. We are in the market for the golf....not necessarily the whole "cc" scene. Less expensive is better. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 AM

446 posts, read 1,393,542 times
Crooked Creek might be the best bang for the buck...and a fun layout!

membership

Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 AM

Thanks, bobbis. I couldn't find the website for Crooked Creek so I really appreciate your link! Anybody have any other suggestions?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,649,544 times
Actually, the best course of the ones you mentioned is Bentwinds. VERY affordable, challenging and in the best shape. The layout is great and the people are great too. I have played at Prestonwood and find Bentwinds to be a far superior course except that you will pay 1/10th the cost.

It really is your best bet as the Triangle is in dire need of affordable golf courses and selection in the area is certainly limited. I am a very serious golfer and Bentwinds gets it done better than most courses in the area. Sand Hills golf is close by but again, that gets expensive.

PM me for more info if you would like.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,088 times
We live in Sunset Ridge on the course. Just this month we signed up for a trial membership...you just pay the monthly fee (about $270) and you get all membership benefits for that month. Played yesterday. My husband says that they offer this during the winter months every year. I think March is the last month.

Anyway, I doubt if we will get the membership, since the monthly fee is so high..not only do you have to pay the fee, but also you are supposed to spend at least $50 a month at the clubhouse. Maybe when the kids are older and we can all get use out of it. But we will enjoy it this month anyway.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM

188 posts, read 747,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Actually, the best course of the ones you mentioned is Bentwinds. VERY affordable, challenging and in the best shape. The layout is great and the people are great too. I have played at Prestonwood and find Bentwinds to be a far superior course except that you will pay 1/10th the cost.

It really is your best bet as the Triangle is in dire need of affordable golf courses and selection in the area is certainly limited. I am a very serious golfer and Bentwinds gets it done better than most courses in the area. Sand Hills golf is close by but again, that gets expensive.

PM me for more info if you would like.
I disagree, Bighouse 9, I think that the triangle area is loaded with golf courses varying in price, amenities, and extras. From pubilic daily fee courses such as: RGA, Southwick, Hillendale, Knight's Play; semi-private: Lochmere, Eagle Ridge, River Ridge, Wildwood Green, The Neuse, Heritage; and high end private country clubs such as: TPC Wakefield, Brier Creek, North Ridge, Carolina, Governor's Club, Prestonwood, McGregor Downs. This list is not meant to be all inclusive, but only a sample of the huge variety of golf course options in the area which span from the bargain daily fee courses to the semi-private players' course, to the swanky country clubs. I feel that the triangle area offers as much variety and selection as almost anywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary