Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:38 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post
I hope so, but am not optimistic.

The MASN/TWC legal battle was resolved in TWC's favor in 2012. Since then, it's been up to the parties to arrive at a carriage agreement. As far as such an agreement is concerned, it's been nothing but crickets. I mean, absolutely no public discussion whatsoever about this, despite the fact that the Nats and O's have become regular playoff teams since 2012. I kind of thought with the success of those teams and the emergence of Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, we might see a breakthrough such that MASN would at least be added to the digital tier. No dice. Pretty crazy -- I can't even pay extra to watch MASN on TWC.

Ultimately, it seems like neither MASN nor TWC sees North Carolina as a Nats/O's market, despite the fact that MLB does. In truth, MASN and TWC are probably correct about that (note that AT&T Uverse doesn't carry MASN here either), and NC should be taken out of the Nats/O's market. In reality, we probably shouldn't be in any team's market, since we're 4+ hours away from even the closest MLB city, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

MLB in NC is overdue, not sure about current market dynamics or growth plans but it has to be on the radar for a relo for one of those greedy owners. I don't think MLB is in expansion mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 PM

14 posts, read 10,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
When I moved here from Atlanta in 1986, it was clear to me that the Orioles had more of a local following than the Braves. Likewise the Washington Redskins over the Atlanta Falcons (this was before the Carolina Panthers). Orioles broadcasts stayed on the predecessor of TWC for a few years after my move.

For those who live above a line from Burlington to Sanford, Baltimore is closer than Atlanta. Look at a map.

As for MASN, they had an ongoing battle with TWC since at least 2005. The question is whether Charter will settle that fight.
I don't think I've ever met an Orioles fan in Raleigh. I watched the Braves on TBS all the time and didn't even know the Orioles were on TV. Caulton Tudor wrote a great column bemoaning the loss of the Braves on TV in Raleigh and ENC. Of course the rest of the state still gets them.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 10,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
MLB in NC is overdue, not sure about current market dynamics or growth plans but it has to be on the radar for a relo for one of those greedy owners. I don't think MLB is in expansion mode.
It's never going to happen. Charlotte went all in with AAA when they built their new park; it can't be expanded. There was a fight led by a local lawyer to build a park that could be expanded but city leaders disagreed. BB&T is also already considered one of the top parks in MiLB.

The Bulls will never leave Durham and Raleigh can't even get a minor league team because of the Bulls. No other city in the state is prominent enough to attract a team either.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM

679 posts, read 809,801 times
Braves fan here and native North Carolinian. I don't see very many Braves fans around here though. I mostly see Red Sox fans.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
There is a Triangle Mets fans group. Used to be a Meetup, now on Facebook.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Red Sox fan here

Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Years ago Raleigh natives followed the Red Socks because Boston's farm team played at Devereaux Meadow...The Raleigh Caps.
That's surprising to me given that the Capitals were only affiliated with the Red Sox for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
As others have pointed out it's not happening. Charlotte doesn't have the park and the market is already fairly saturated with the NFL, NBA, two NASCAR races a year, the AHL, and two MiLB teams in the Metrolina footprint as well as a bid to get an MLS team. That said, Rob Manfred, MLB's commissioner, has talked about expansion (Montreal being a leading candidate for getting a team) but there's a desire to see Oakland and Tampa Bay get new stadiums to replace the Coliseum and the Trop. I think expansion will be held open in case one of those two teams ends up getting sold/relocated.

As for me, I'm a Pirates fan by birth and became a Rays fan after moving up here and getting to see so many of the Rays players come up through Durham.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
That's surprising to me given that the Capitals were only affiliated with the Red Sox for 2 years.
Just a few years yes, but Carl Yastrzemski played minor league ball here. The Red Sox and Ted Williams came to town each summer for an exhibition game with the Caps, and also put on an all day clinic for the kids. Those few years generated a lot of long lasting fans.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:24 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Haha if this thread proves anything, it is that there isn't a Triangle team in the present day. We've heard 6-8 teams mentioned multiple times...

For the entire state of North Carolina, though, it has to be the Braves, hands down...

Old 02-12-2017, 11:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel408 View Post
I don't think I've ever met an Orioles fan in Raleigh. I watched the Braves on TBS all the time and didn't even know the Orioles were on TV. Caulton Tudor wrote a great column bemoaning the loss of the Braves on TV in Raleigh and ENC. Of course the rest of the state still gets them.
I have met several. Of course I wear my Orange and Black so people are more likely to say "Go O's" to me than to some random person on the street (because that would make them kind of crazy).

The further we get from 2009, the less Yankee fans I meet. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary