U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 22,505 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed my housing search to look at the following three places: North Durham (communities like Autumn Ridge, Fieldstone by the Eno, etc.), South Durham (communities like Chancellor's Ridge, Woodcroft, Parkwood, Fairfield) and American Village near Duke Forest. I'm torn about what's a better area (commute to Duke and family friendly wise) - North Durham or South Durham. American village is obviously the easiest commute, but what do people like about North Durham vs. South Durham and vice versa. I know the two have different feels (North is less 'developed' and not as much shopping and South has access to Southpoint and RTP). Just wanting to hear people's opinions on where they think is the best place to buy into. Thanks for the continued help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM

137 posts, read 122,153 times
I'm a downtown Durham kind of person, so I'm not really partial to either South or North Durham, but since you are commuting to Duke - in other words don't need access to I-40 on a daily basis - I think the North Durham areas you are looking at would be of interest. Whenever I go to Eno River State Park, I really enjoy some of the areas up there. More land, less expensive, etc. Not sure about the best investment, but if I had to chose between living near Woodcroft/Southpoint/RTP or up North and didn't have to take ease of access to I-40 in to consideration - no brainer.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 AM

635 posts, read 1,512,289 times
I really think it's about "feel" and which you prefer, assuming schools aren't an issue. Also, do you already know the places you'll go most often (place of Worship if relevant, activities, favorite restaurants, etc.)? Proximity to that stuff is important too.

For me, American Village is the best of both Worlds b/c it's an easy commute to Duke plus you are equi-distant from the things in both South and North Durham with very quick access to I-85, 147, etc. Chapel Hill is a quick ride - we use Old Erwin in lieu of 15-501. Inventory really waxes and wanes from year to year, but it's been very quiet the last few months so hopefully once the March/April/May season hits, you'll see some inventory open up in the 'hood.

Whenever I visit Southpoint Mall, I am grateful that I am not in such a congested area and that I only use I-40 if headed to Raleigh. It's too "sprawly" for me. If given the choice, I'd pick North Durham, but only in the neighborhoods of closer proximity to Duke (ie. off Cole Mill, Rose of Sharon, & Umstead) and that generally have good resale and desirable schools.

If you are wanting to throw any other places in the mix, I'd suggest also looking at L'ochnora, Garrett Farms, and Carillon Forest. They're also nearish to Duke more centrally located in Durham.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM

3,717 posts, read 3,635,629 times
Totally biased (my neck of the woods)...South Durham for access, retail, dining, etc. but is a busy part of the area, still nothing compared to major city traffic.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 AM

679 posts, read 599,904 times
I work in RTP (and live in an apartment), so south Durham works for me. I enjoy going to Southpoint and Brier Creek for shopping and restaurants and things. Also close to West Cary/Hwy 55, there's quite a few things going up there (Parkside, Whole Foods, all of that)

RTP Park Center is gonna be huge in a couple of years, hopefully Top Golf (among others) will go there:

Park Center Redevelopment

Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,275 times
Long-time lurker, first-time poster because I actually live in Chancellor's Ridge and work at Duke. The commute isn't stellar, usually takes me about 25 minutes to get to work going 40 to 15-501, but neighborhood location really can't be beat. ATT access is key and one of the reasons we chose to live where we do. Southpoint traffic isn't that bad except around the holidays, and there are backroads to get around if you need to. The convenience factor to stores makes it completely worth it. We looked in a number of North Durham locations and didn't like the distances from grocery stores, etc.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 AM

530 posts, read 543,203 times
As you said in your opening post, North Durham is far less developed than South Durham.

So it you want a less traffic and a quieter ambience it would more for you. North Durham properties are also more affordable than South Durham if that is a concern.

Those are the big differences. If you are asking my personal opinion, I'll repeat what an earlier poster said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
I'm a downtown Durham kind of person, so I'm not really partial to either South or North Durham.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:13 PM

307 posts, read 323,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
I work in RTP (and live in an apartment), so south Durham works for me. I enjoy going to Southpoint and Brier Creek for shopping and restaurants and things. Also close to West Cary/Hwy 55, there's quite a few things going up there (Parkside, Whole Foods, all of that)

RTP Park Center is gonna be huge in a couple of years, hopefully Top Golf (among others) will go there:

Park Center Redevelopment
Have they proposed any kind of timeline for this? Feels like they should have started construction already as it's been well over a year since they purchased the land.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM

383 posts, read 305,027 times
We had this exact debate recently when buying a home. A lot is about your priorities. S. Durham is more suburban-y, N Durham is more rural-y (though both are quite suburban). S Durham has more amenities close by and provides easier access to other regions of the triangle. Accordingly, it has more traffic. S. Durham homes are significantly more expensive and it is more difficult (though not impossible) to get a reasonably sized plot of land. S. Durham is a much hotter market right now - whether that is good (appreciation) or bad (bubble) I think only time will tell. The region as a whole seems pretty family-friendly to me so it just depends on what pocket you buy in. That said - schools are a mixed bag in both directions, so it depends where you buy and how important that is to you. We're not big believers in the actual impact of school on educational outcomes and are years away from it being an issue anyways (no kids yet) so didn't let that drive our decision.

We ended up going with far N Durham (Treyburn). American Village would have actually been a great compromise, but there wasn't anything on the market we liked very much. Certainly some gorgeous homes there, they just weren't for sale when we were looking. I still have very mixed feelings about Treyburn, but my wife is in love with the place and I couldn't say no. That said, the setting is extremely tranquil and we're still only ~20-25 minutes from downtown, which anywhere else in the country would be a short commute. We got a fantastic deal on a house that would have easily cost 100k more in S Durham. > 0.5 acre wooded lots are not easily found for ~300k, especially for the sf range we wanted. If I get my way, we'll buy in Trinity Park or Forest Hills if we see a market downturn or our careers take off but I'm content for now.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:23 AM

679 posts, read 599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
Have they proposed any kind of timeline for this? Feels like they should have started construction already as it's been well over a year since they purchased the land.

The last I read on Facebook (from RTP/Frontier people) was that horiztonal development planning was taking longer than they thought, but they recently selected DH Griffin as the contractor for Phase 1. I didn't see any additional timelines posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary